Good idea or Bad idea? PVC pluming question.

Ill this cause problem in the future?

• yes it will cause problems

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No it won't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Elias

So as the picture shows i've just drilled holes in my future 200 liter/50 gallon saltwater aquarium, in the picture there is a 1 Kilogram/ 2.2 pounds valve, i had originally through of having it down by the 250 liter/66 gallon sump with some support from drilled eyebolt screws to hang it in place and offload most of the weight, but got the idea of having it stick out on the side of the aquarium, it is after all for adjusting the flow rate to reduce noise so it makes sense to have it were i can actively see the flow. Now here's the question i'm sure many of you are already thinking, is the weight of the valve to much for the union fitting? and will this cause problems down the road?

I've also considered just not using the union fitting and therefore reduce the gravitational pull applied to the tank through outlet since it would be closer to the outlet, but is that enough to last for years to come? and will it be worth not having a union fitting there to have a valve there? any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• My Post.jpg
    My Post.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 10

DaveK

Your doing it correctly. true union valves, and additional unions so you can take it apart is the way to go.

You'll likely be fine, but it's never a bad idea to give your plumbing some additional support. This can be done by using a board that you screw to the stand, and have it come up enough to support the union. You could also add something to support the valve a bit also. Paint or stain the board the same color as the stand or the plumbing, and it will just about disappear.

Elias

Your doing it correctly. true union valves, and additional unions so you can take it apart is the way to go.

You'll likely be fine, but it's never a bad idea to give your plumbing some additional support. This can be done by using a board that you screw to the stand, and have it come up enough to support the union. You could also add something to support the valve a bit also. Paint or stain the board the same color as the stand or the plumbing, and it will just about disappear.

Yea, ill do that, easy peace, because let's be honest, it's absolutely worth a little extra work to have the valve there in my opinion.

Btw the entire bench is metal painted white except for the back plate and top, lucky me!

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

I would definately support it directly with something. That is a heavy valve, plus youll be torqueing it for adjustment.
I was worried about weight also, and used two different methods to counter it.
1. 90 deg Rotated plumbing makes all the downward force translate into tightening force, some flow is lost, but in a multi drain setup larger than 1inch youll have plenty of flow capacity.

2. Acrylic support plate siliconed across the outside of the tank, (with matching holes) before adding the bulkheads. This spreads the load instead of being concentrated on the hole itself. You can see that smoked piece i added in the pic above.
Call me paranoid :dunno: ... Even with those items addressed, i opted to strap my valves to the stand, hanging above the sump. So my adjustments are from inside the stand, but i can still see the level changing in the overflow, while sitting in front of the tank.

Elias

I would definately support it directly with something. That is a heavy valve, plus youll be torqueing it for adjustment.
I was worried about weight also, and used two different methods to counter it.
1. 90 deg Rotated plumbing makes all the downward force translate into tightening force, some flow is lost, but in a multi drain setup larger than 1inch youll have plenty of flow capacity.

2. Acrylic support plate siliconed across the outside of the tank, (with matching holes) before adding the bulkheads. This spreads the load instead of being concentrated on the hole itself. You can see that smoked piece i added in the pic above.
Call me paranoid :dunno: ... Even with those items addressed, i opted to strap my valves to the stand, hanging above the sump. So my adjustments are from inside the stand, but i can still see the level changing in the overflow, while sitting in front of the tank.

I'm still not sure weather or not to place the valve under the table or on the side of the tank, as of right now i'm leaning towards under the tank with the sump.