CRASH

Paul B

No, Not my tank. Don't be ridiculous. I use an undergravel filter so it can't crash.

My white worm culture crashed. upload_2019-8-15_6-47-13.gif:eek:

I think it may be ten years old and the worms are disappearing. They may be to inbred or have a social disease. I am not sure what it is but after the last worm bath, they started to disappear. I looked al over for them even in my wife's underwear drawer but they are no where to be found. :mad:

I did find a lot of things hatching into what looks like fruit flies, but they must be "worm flies". I put the culture outside so the neighbors could sample some of the flies.

I still l have worms but they are small. :(

If I get time, I will flood the entire culture and collect the worms that I can and start a new batch with new potting soil. Maybe after so many years, you need to do that. :D

Actually, now that I think about it. I did that a couple of months ago. Maybe the soil I used has A 1 Steak Sauce or transmission fluid from a 1967 Ford Pinto in it. Anyway, I will go look for different dirt and try to rescue my remaining worms. I need the worms for the bacteria so this is a crucial part of my system. upload_2019-8-15_6-47-13.gif

(Many people were hoping my tank crashed, this way they could say, See!!! you should have quarantined. upload_2019-8-15_6-47-13.gif

Last edited:

Uncle99

I too use an under gravel filter.
Have done so for more than 25 years.
I was always told this is incorrect in the saltwater world, but it always seems to work well.

Which direction do you move the water?
I have always pulled from bottom ( water pulled through sand, but I have heard some do it in reverse.

Any comments would be appreciated.

B281B27B-094F-40F4-9B2F-ADA9BC13505A.jpeg

Paul B

Uncle99. You heard wrong. :cool:
I have been using a UG filter since the 50s. :eek:

In salt water I run it in reverse, pushing water down the tubes (very slow) and it comes up through the gravel. This tank is running 48 years like that and I wouldn't run a salt tank without one. :D

Uncle99

Thanks for the reply PaulB.
It’s nice to know this method has consistently worked well for you.

you push water down the tube slowly which would push DT water up through the substrate, I am the opposite direction.

In your opinion, does the direction of travel matter, ie, is pushing down better in some way than drawing upwards?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Paul B

Yes it matters immensely. I used it as you do for a few years and it always clogged causing almost a crash. Reversing it fixes that.
Running it as you do is what caused people to stop using UG filters.