Nobby's S-650

Pancho75

Got to be honest.
Last night I thought I'd do a fancy video on unpacking and assembling the NYOS Torq. It would have been my first foray into this Internet World as such. This time next year I could be an Internet Millionaire or maybe talent spotted by Steven Spliberg! The World could have been my Oyster !
My first attempt ended when I couldn't even find out how to open the box, even though I had already opened it before-hand. Not a good start.
So, the second take was going very well. I had assembled the Dock and explained that. I had gone through the Torq Body. I even showed how to fill it with Media. I put the Body onto the Dock, lifted it up, the Dock fell off, and all the media inside, both Carbon and Rowaphos, fell out of the bottom onto the table/floor. I hadn't got it right.
At this point I realised that Internet Stardom was just not my thing, and I switched off the camera in disgust, disappointment and humiliation, while muttering to myself that I'd maybe 'take a couple of photos tomorrow'.
After cleaning it all up I grabbed a couple of beers. Maybe the World is not ready yet for me to be unleashed.
OMG! LOL!

What did your wife say after your “stardom attempt”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyreefer

Got to be honest.
Last night I thought I'd do a fancy video on unpacking and assembling the NYOS Torq. It would have been my first foray into this Internet World as such. This time next year I could be an Internet Millionaire or maybe talent spotted by Steven Spliberg! The World could have been my Oyster !
My first attempt ended when I couldn't even find out how to open the box, even though I had already opened it before-hand. Not a good start.
So, the second take was going very well. I had assembled the Dock and explained that. I had gone through the Torq Body. I even showed how to fill it with Media. I put the Body onto the Dock, lifted it up, the Dock fell off, and all the media inside, both Carbon and Rowaphos, fell out of the bottom onto the table/floor. I hadn't got it right.
At this point I realised that Internet Stardom was just not my thing, and I switched off the camera in disgust, disappointment and humiliation, while muttering to myself that I'd maybe 'take a couple of photos tomorrow'.
After cleaning it all up I grabbed a couple of beers. Maybe the World is not ready yet for me to be unleashed.
Maybe you should embrace the possibility of you becoming an internet blooper sensation!

Nobbygas

OK, so the review of the NYOS Viper 3.0.
It is slightly smaller than the original Sicce Circulation pump and has a handy flow-rate adjuster on the front which is easier to use. When I placed it in the rear chamber the only modification needed was an inch cut off the original small piece of green hose, easily done with a pair of scissors. Power up was ok. There is no way to check the flow-rate though apart from sticking your finger in front of the outlet nozzle, and it was quite clear that the Viper was outperforming the Sicce pumps. This pump is certainly more powerful.
For noise tests, I just switched off the other three Sicce pumps one at a time and used my Human 1.0 Lugholes to listen, and in my opinion, the Viper is much more quieter.
But......

There is bad news. It's the cable length. If you stand in front of the S-650 I usually label the circulation pumps 1 to 4, from left to right. With the standard cable length on the Viper it only just reaches the power centre if you place the pump in the No.1 position. However, once plugged in you cannot open the power centre. Even in the No.1 position it needs an extension, which means if you replaced all four they'd all need it. I have contacted NYOS to ask if they supply the pumps with a longer power cable, and they've told me 'NO'. The No.4 pump cable (if Viper) would not even reach the end of the rear chamber, which means that somehow you have to rig up cables down the back.

For this reason alone I unfortunately have to give the NYOS Viper series of pumps the thumbs down. It's nice, powerful and quiet, but the cable length.......oh dear.

Pancho75

Thanks for the review Nobby, I am not sure if I will pull the trigger on variable pumps or not, too many options and difficult to find the same brand for return and rear chamber pumps.

Nobbygas

Thanks for the review Nobby, I am not sure if I will pull the trigger on variable pumps or not, too many options and difficult to find the same brand for return and rear chamber pumps.

Yep, the Viper ticks all the boxes for a replacement circulation pump, apart from the cable length.

SPR

Yep, the Viper ticks all the boxes for a replacement circulation pump, apart from the cable length.

What’s wrong with getting an extension cable, or am I missing something else ?

If the pumps are good presumably you could just use an extension lead with a Europe plug for the power centre ?

Or just get a 4 gang extension and plug all 4 pumps into that and then one plug into the power centre. I’ve actually got a 4 gang to do this and Europe plug and I’ll swap it over when one of the breaks and I next clean them. It will make them much easier to remove without the nest of wires.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

What’s wrong with getting an extension cable, or am I missing something else ?

If the pumps are good presumably you could just use an extension lead with a Europe plug for the power centre ?

Or just get a 4 gang extension and plug all 4 pumps into that and then one plug into the power centre. I’ve actually got a 4 gang to do this and Europe plug and I’ll swap it over when one of the breaks and I next clean them. It will make them much easier to remove without the nest of wires.
Will you want the extension hanging off the back/top of your tank? The cable from no.4 will not reach the end of the rear chamber, yet alone go down the back.

SPR

Will you want the extension hanging off the back/top of your tank? The cable from no.4 will not reach the end of the rear chamber, yet alone go down the back.
That's no good at all then unless the lead can at least come out of the gap on the left.

I was going to Velcro the extension 4 gang to one of the back sides (probably left) were they come out and then you would just unplug them for cleaning and put them back in.

I would have thought NYOS would come up with a better option. Ive just bought a 1000lph pond pump for £22 and it has 10m of cable...

SPR

By the way @Nobbygas have you check the Sicc SDC 9.0 instead of the Vectra as return pump? It seems very solid, quiet and with 5 years warranty vs Ecotech’s 1 year.

They look very good and look like a solid build quality, and they must be confident if they give the 5 year warranty

It also looks like they have all the modern functions and in the Max S a feed mode/reduced flow were it just trickles across the overflow would be very handy

Pancho75

They look very good and look like a solid build quality, and they must be confident if they give the 5 year warranty

It also looks like they have all the modern functions and in the Max S a feed mode/reduced flow were it just trickles across the overflow would be very handy
Yes and they have all the tricks as the Vectra, the reef mode, protections against running dry and getting stuck and and app that does not need a ReefLink to manage the pump. It reminds me the AI Hydra...

Did I mention is US$ 110 cheaper than Ecotech?

The only drawback I see is the lack of a Battery Pack like Ecotech but you can always buy a UPS.

Pancho75

I shall be away for a couple of days as I have to take Mini Me MKII to Playmobil Land. Pray for me.
When I get back I'll provide an update on the NYOS Reactor. Very quickly though, I don't see any problems.
LOL!!! I’ll keep you in my prayers!

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Update on the NYOS Torq.
It is now running silently. There is no noise whatsoever from the water running down the outside and back into the tank. Both the Rowaphos and the carbon are tumbling quite nicely, with the Rowaphos on the bottom and the Carbon on the top.
One thing I have noticed, and I can't explain this, is that now and again I find that the main tube has 'fallen over' a bit. It's not straight, and I have to reach in and re-position it in an upright position. No idea as to why this is happening.
However, my Phos is locked down at 0.02ppm, and the Carbon is doing what Carbon does, I assume !
Very happy with it.