Pancho75

My Nyos Torq 2.0 arrived today!

Now I will go ahead and buy the VCA nozzles for Red Sea for both the return and the rear chamber.

Wednesday FTS.
105ced670ff2c0d7e02035f8d08d7e28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho75

I read that biopellets and rowa are some kind against UVC. Does somebody have experience or read about it?

Reactions: SPR

chickenjohn

Ive looked into reactors and do like the nyos ones, my concern is as it flows from the reactor itself rather than a tube does it not make a noise as it hits the water? and as it flows out near the pump are you not recycling a lot of the water from the reactor?

Pancho75

What about the fact that it overflows in the region of the pump so as I see it the pump is recirculating a lot of the already treated water?
The pump should be well below water level and according to what I have read the beat is to have the skimmer after the reactor to skim the waste processed in the reactor.

I think we should post pics and video of the reactor working to check it.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I read that biopellets and rowa are some kind against UVC. Does somebody have experience or read about it?

I can’t see how Pancho, I use a UVC and rhowaphos with no issues.

As far as I know they do completely different things. The UVC kills whatever goes through it provided the flow is correct, rhowaphos and bio pellets remove nutrients.

From what I’ve studied it’s all about contact time and if you want to kill of certain parasites, like for example ich, you have to achieve 72000 micro watts/sec and there is a calculation you can do based on the UVC power and the flow rate to achieve this.

The UVC only kills things that pass through it, so of course it’s not 100% effective but it certainly helps, and in reality I can’t see any down side to using one other than changing the bulb every 12 months.

The following is a quote from DD (David Saxby’s company) which I found helpful when researching:

‘’For water clarity we suggest a U.V intensity of 30,000 microwatt's/sec/sq.cm and our U.V sterilisers are designed to deliver this at the quoted flow/contact rate through the unit.
The mistake that many hobbyists make with our and other manufacturers U.V systems is not getting the flow rate right through the UV and connecting any old pump to it.If flow is increased the bacteria/algae or parasites do not get the correct U.V exposure and many happily pass right through the unit.

This is of some interest when trying to kill the white spot parasite as a greater U.V intensity of 72,000 microwatt's/sec/sq.cm is required to kill it. So with this in mind we have to take the standard flow rate of the unit for 30,000 microwatts and divide it by 2.4 to give you a flow rate for 72,000 microwatts exposure time.

So you will need to divide the suggest 500l/hr flow rate by 2.4 giving a new flow rate through the unit of 208 l/hr to kill the white spot. This will give a 0.6 times turn over for a 350l aquarium so it maybe worth going for the 20 watt unit and running it at 416 l/hr giving you over 1x tank turn over an hour but giving the correct kill intensity for white spot.’’

SPR

What about the fact that it overflows in the region of the pump so as I see it the pump is recirculating a lot of the already treated water?
The water is being constantly swept away by the movement throughout the sump so I wouldn’t think this would be an issue at all, or noise from falling water as it’s not really falling, but sort of running down the sides

rustyreefer

My Nyos Torq 2.0 arrived today!

Now I will go ahead and buy the VCA nozzles for Red Sea for both the return and the rear chamber.

Wednesday FTS.
105ced670ff2c0d7e02035f8d08d7e28.jpg

I hadn’t seen these nozzles. These look fantastic. Are you doing 4 - 1/2 inch and 1- 3/4 slip fit?

Super interested in this!

Pancho75

I hadn’t seen these nozzles. These look fantastic. Are you doing 4 - 1/2 inch and 1- 3/4 slip fit?

Super interested in this!

These are the ones I am buying:
https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=VCA nozzles for red sea&asug=
56faea914b75421e54d1f1de692d5d49.jpg
b0e8964093e2ceb86a2cc7ab9bc2069e.jpg
They have separate designs for the return nozzle and the rear chamber. As I have a S-500 I bought 3 for the return.

The reviews on the ones for the return chamber are mixed. I will install mine last week of August when I go back home and provide feedback, if you can wait that long!

Collo

They have been 3d printed by the looks of it, If I could be bothered I could probably make these, but the 3d printers haven't seen the light of day in quiet a while, the novelty ran out a while back.

rustyreefer

They have separate designs for the return nozzle and the rear chamber. As I have a S-500 I bought 3 for the return.

The reviews on the ones for the return chamber are mixed. I will install mine last week of August when I go back home and provide feedback, if you can wait that long!

Thanks pancho. I may go ahead and order 4 for the circ pumps and see how they work. I am not adding loc line though so will probably just do the slip on.

rustyreefer

Thanks pancho. I may go ahead and order 4 for the circ pumps and see how they work. I am not adding loc line though so will probably just do the slip on.

Pancho75

I am in Japan again so I went dinner with my boss and another colleague, we had a great dinner in a Korean BBQ place in Tokyo, there was light rain while we ate. When we came out we headed to the train station and my stupid brain decided to step in one of the tiles designed to help blind people to find direction, the thing was with small flat ribs and very slippery. My left leg went to an extend I didn’t know it could do and the rest of my body experimented Earth’s gravity. I came back to my room to cry and laugh (what else can you do after that).

The tank did not missed action as I got informed we have an ants infestation around the tank so I ordered to cover the tank and spray venom, it is not a pleasant experience to know somebody will spray a thing you it can nuke your tank while you are more than 10,000 km away. Fortunately the tank and I are ok after our near dead experiences.

Last edited: