Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

So after doing some water tests yesterday the nitrates which are somewhere around 18ppm (guesstimate with the colour chart!) won’t budge.

So I’ve increased the Nopox dose to 32ml/day and ordered 4 litres of Seachem De Nitrate to go with what I have already stuffed in the middle of the Matrix bags for lower flow

The De Nitrate was £32 from a flee bay shop (and it’s new), and I’m not sure if they have mislabelled it or something but all others were around £50 + so we shall see. I was only going to order 2 litres but what the heck I like a bargain. But I’ve used PayPal so.....

And I’ve spent my morning ritual removing asterina starfish. I’m on a mission now and the numbers have significantly reduced and I’ll keep at it. I don’t really want a harlequin as I think it may be an £40 expensive snack when I drop it in for someone....

Nobbygas

So after doing some water tests yesterday the nitrates which are somewhere around 18ppm (guesstimate with the colour chart!) won’t budge.

So I’ve increased the Nopox dose to 32ml/day and ordered 4 litres of Seachem De Nitrate to go with what I have already stuffed in the middle of the Matrix bags for lower flow

The De Nitrate was £32 from a flee bay shop (and it’s new), and I’m not sure if they have mislabelled it or something but all others were around £50 + so we shall see. I was only going to order 2 litres but what the heck I like a bargain. But I’ve used PayPal so.....

And I’ve spent my morning ritual removing asterina starfish. I’m on a mission now and the numbers have significantly reduced and I’ll keep at it. I don’t really want a harlequin as I think it may be an £40 expensive snack when I drop it in for someone....
My Harlequin is still there, chomping away, but he doesn't seem to have any effect on the Asterina numbers. They appear to be able to re-populate faster than he can eat them. I might need to get another one !
How is De Nitrate different from Matrix?

SPR

You mean you'll be shanking little white balls all over the place and then spending ages trying to find them?
Have you seen me in action! Lol. I played like a ‘tool’ today!

De Nitrate is for slower flow areas but has more surface area (smaller rocks) than Matrix for better anaerobic denitrification Matrix is used if you can’t guarantee low flow. I’ve put the De Nitrate bags surrounded by Matrix bags to get less flow (hopefully!)

The asterina starfish multiply by splitting so that’s why I am on a relentless removal program to get as many out as possible each morning before lights on.

Pancho75

De Nitrate is for slower flow areas but has more surface area (smaller rocks) than Matrix for better anaerobic denitrification Matrix is used if you can’t guarantee low flow. I’ve put the De Nitrate bags surrounded by Matrix bags to get less flow (hopefully!)

The asterina starfish multiply by splitting so that’s why I am on a relentless removal program to get as many out as possible each morning before lights on.
How do you get so many asterinas? I have some but nothing close to “armies” you describe. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

How do you get so many asterinas? I have some but nothing close to “armies” you describe. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time I guess. They multiply by dividing so over time the numbers can explode so I would remove any you have.

I have an SPS coral at the top of my tank which they like in particular

Nobbygas

Where in the Sump do you have all of this? In the 'main chamber'?

SPR

Where in the Sump do you have all of this? In the 'main chamber'?
Yes in the left hand side. It’s getting a little ‘full’ and I’ll take a picture once the De Nitrate just ordered is in place. We also have the rear overflow chamber as well, if needed but that I guess would be high flow so would need to be taken into account

I shouldn’t need anymore anyway, well until I get bored and need to fiddle with something again! Lol

SPR

Have you got anything either side of your return pump?
No other than filter wool on the left hand side but I might be taking that out now Ive sorted the Rhowaphos reactor 'issue out' as Im getting strands of filter floss which could clog the return. I take it all out when Im away just in case

Ill do a picture of it all once the 4 litres of additional De Nitrate is put into place

SPR

Its quiet fascinating watching the effect of temperature and other things on the Apex graphs (yes i have to much free time!! Lol)

You can see what happens as the tank comes alive, when temperature changes, when im breathing.....

IMG_0575.jpg