Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

Nobbygas

@Collo Ive got a reefer tank so doesn't come with any equipment, I bought a red sea rsk 600 skimmer, its a nice and quiet skimmer but not sure if its faulty or its just taking some time to break in as its still overflowing after 5 days
There are so many different Reefer options I have no idea which ones come with lights/sump etc !

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I still use it as backup as well, but so I can keep the water reasonably fresh, I turn the Tunze off every few months and the inbuilt system becomes the primary again until near empty.

But my ATO will last around 2 weeks untouched for trips away and because I can turn Tunze off with Apex, if I need it longer than 2 weeks I can revert to the inbuilt system while away or automatically

Are you reading @Collo ! Lol
You use Apex to control things while you are away, and I use the Mother-In-Law for when I'm away :) Not sure which is cheaper to be honest.

SPR

There are so many different Reefer options I have no idea which ones come with lights/sump etc !
Their designed for ‘advanced reefers’............

You can pick and design them for whatever you desire.

Stick to the Max S my friend! Lol

chickenjohn

I have a 6ft discus tank next to the reefer so I got the pro-50 so I can put the container in the discus tank cabinet and run the tubing behind to the reefer tank, that way I can have it in permanently

Nobbygas

You speak for yourself ! lol

Actually i purchased 2 frags about 2 months ago in my last mass coral purchase, and their growing very well to be honest. Ill take some pictures and you can drool over them!
I'd rather drool over pictures of Sandra Bullock, but that's for another forum!

chickenjohn

They say things come in threes, first the skimmer overflowing like crazy, now ive just set up my new atu and the sensor isn't working, getting a new one posted out to me asap. Hate to think what the third misfortune will be.

Nobbygas

They say things come in threes, first the skimmer overflowing like crazy, now ive just set up my new atu and the sensor isn't working, getting a new one posted out to me asap. Hate to think what the third misfortune will be.
If you go for a pee, wear gloves !

chickenjohn

So after back and forth with red sea tech support I have returned the skimmer and got a Deltec 1000i and it is skimming perfectly with only minor adjustments, happy days again.

Collo

So no bioload n my tank so to speak, but my redsea skimmer did nothing but overskim too, my sump level was a little high so may be why. But doesn't bode well. Currently turned off as I used atm colony to cycle. But I may well be buying a deltec too

chickenjohn

ive always had deltecs in the past but this time I thought red sea tank may as well try the red sea skimmer, should have gone with what I know and love. I tried every scenario possible on the red sea skimmer and it made no difference at all, eventually tech support told me it was because I had chemicals in my tank despite telling them I tried it in a qt tank and a freshly made bucket of salt water, took it to my lfs and he tried it in his coral tank, it was still like a champagne bottle.
Deltec skimmer was skimming perfectly after an hour of minor adjustments.

chickenjohn

I need to replace my gyres and get a doser so thought I would wait for the red sea gyre and doser to come out but after using their skimmer I think ill get a maxspect gyre and a d-d h2ocean pro 4 doser