Nobby's S-650

Collo

I've just seen other tanks where a fifth light was added, and they look very good. Obviously each tank is different etc, but I was just wondering, that's all :) We can't stop fiddling can we :bounce:

I haven't even added the 4 red sea reef lights that came with my tank and you already have me thinking about adding a 5th lol

SPR

and then say goodbye to my Zoas? The Emperor Angel is stunning, but what corals do they eat?
He hasn’t touched any corals other than little sweet pecks like the tangs do for algae, yet.....

Good as gold he is.

I have a slight ‘problem’. It’s raining here, I came home from work early, and there is another shop I use as an alternative so each only thinks I buy a few fish! Lol.

Mmmmmm.....

Nobbygas

I haven't even added the 4 red sea reef lights that came with my tank and you already have me thinking about adding a 5th lol
Ah, but you have the new super duper all-singing all-dancing bells & whistles Red Sea ReefLED's. I still have the steam powered Hydra 26 HD's, and I'm jealous.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

He hasn’t touched any corals other than little sweet pecks like the tangs do for algae, yet.....

Good as gold he is.

I have a slight ‘problem’. It’s raining here, I came home from work early, and there is another shop I use as an alternative so each only thinks I buy a few fish! Lol.

Mmmmmm.....
Rain? What is that? We dream of rain here. 33 today, and still rising. I break into a sweat just by farting !

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Good as gold he is.

Mmmmmm.....
But I think you don't have Zoas?

Collo

Ah, but you have the new super duper all-singing all-dancing bells & whistles Red Sea ReefLED's. I still have the steam powered Hydra 26 HD's, and I'm jealous.

Not really proven yet though are they unlike your hydras - they look good, so hopefully they perform

Nobbygas

Just to say, it is 22.30 and the temperature is 32 degrees. Expected to drop to 26 overnight. 40 degrees forecast for tomorrow. Beer is the new water. Without the Chiller my tank would be dead.

Pancho75

Just to say, it is 22.30 and the temperature is 32 degrees. Expected to drop to 26 overnight. 40 degrees forecast for tomorrow. Beer is the new water. Without the Chiller my tank would be dead.
Chillers are great, I have the same situation, without the chiller my tank could reach 35 degrees and dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Next week could be exciting, or it may not.
Next Sunday, She Who Casts No Shadow is going away for the week with Mini Me MKII, leaving me home and alone.
We all know what this means don't we children....yes, it means I can go for extended visits to the LFS's near me, and that can only mean one outcome. New things :)
I shall be looking to get a couple more fish, plus a few more corals. I also want to get a new Return Pump, so if you have any recommendations for a Return Pump I would like to hear them.

Nobbygas

I meant to mention the two Male Blue Throated Triggers I have (after the Female transitioned to a Male). I haven't seen any aggression between them yet, however, the 'new' Male has some largish lumps taken out of it's Fins. I can only assume it was done by the 'old' Male as I'm pretty sure that these fish are well able to look after themselves.

Collo

How much are you looking at spending on your pump? Ecotech are nice but expensive, the tmc reef pumps are decent. Jecod dc pumps are good value for the money - I ran one for 2yrs with no issues

To be honest I'm pretty impressed with the stock pump, I was expecting to have to swap it out, but I'm happy with it

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Yeah, the stock pump seems to be ok with me, but as always it's the safety valve of having a 'spare' Return Pump which is driving my thinking, plus a new one should be a bit quieter than the stock one.
Plus, after my small experiment with the throughput of pumps with my Chiller, how much throughput are we getting from the stock pump? It's rated at 7500lph (?), but that is on the flat with no resistance. How much throughput do we lose by having to pump the water to the top? What is the real throughput of the stock pump, and remember the recommended minimum turnover for an aquarium is 10 x volume per hour.

Pancho75

Next week could be exciting, or it may not.
Next Sunday, She Who Casts No Shadow is going away for the week with Mini Me MKII, leaving me home and alone.
We all know what this means don't we children....yes, it means I can go for extended visits to the LFS's near me, and that can only mean one outcome. New things :)
I shall be looking to get a couple more fish, plus a few more corals. I also want to get a new Return Pump, so if you have any recommendations for a Return Pump I would like to hear them.
LOL

Get ready for some new “toys”!

Are you going to try the Vectra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Yeah, the stock pump seems to be ok with me, but as always it's the safety valve of having a 'spare' Return Pump which is driving my thinking, plus a new one should be a bit quieter than the stock one.
Plus, after my small experiment with the throughput of pumps with my Chiller, how much throughput are we getting from the stock pump? It's rated at 7500lph (?), but that is on the flat with no resistance. How much throughput do we lose by having to pump the water to the top? What is the real throughput of the stock pump, and remember the recommended minimum turnover for an aquarium is 10 x volume per hour.
I have a spare Red Sea pump and swap them around every 6 months or so. I got it when I first started as I didn’t now how a pump worked or how to clean it (yes this is true! Lol) and I was scared of a failure. It is the heart of the system.

I can’t really fault the Red Sea one to be honest, but in my hours of boredom I’ve nearly purchased the Ecotech Vectra M2. You can turn them down into feed mode, so would be handy when feeding to stop food going over the weir at the back. I only turn the main pump off when using Reef Roids so it doesn’t get wasted and this is just once every week or so

Collo

I'm really happy with the stock pump too, I had already looked at the M2 myself but I honestly cant fault the stock pump. Mine is silent. My sump has like a piece of neoprene stuck under the return pump, and then the pump sits in that foam cut-out thing - The 2 combined means the return pump is almost silent

Nobbygas

I have a spare Red Sea pump and swap them around every 6 months or so. I got it when I first started as I didn’t now how a pump worked or how to clean it (yes this is true! Lol) and I was scared of a failure. It is the heart of the system.

I can’t really fault the Red Sea one to be honest, but in my hours of boredom I’ve nearly purchased the Ecotech Vectra M2. You can turn them down into feed mode, so would be handy when feeding to stop food going over the weir at the back. I only turn the main pump off when using Reef Roids so it doesn’t get wasted and this is just once every week or so
When feeding Roids I just turn off the Skimmer and leave all the pumps on. I don't target feed either, just broadcast feed and let it swirl around the tank for half an hour before turning the skimmer back on.

SPR

When feeding Roids I just turn off the Skimmer and leave all the pumps on. I don't target feed either, just broadcast feed and let it swirl around the tank for half an hour before turning the skimmer back on.
That’s what I do most of the time, I started doing it like that when I first started out in case the pump didn’t restart!! Lol

It may be because I’m tight, but Reef Roids is quiet expensive and it just feels wrong letting it go down the overflow, into the sump and possibly staying there instead of staying in the display. Hence ‘occasionally’ I turn the main return off.

I also just love the wild gurgling noise that happens when you do this. When it first happened I nearly pooed myself and thought the tank had split as I was in another room when it started !! Lol

Nobbygas

Gggrrrr, I've had my Nitrates and Phos creep up again, and it's a NOPOX problem AGAIN ! I had fitted some non-return valves on all the lines that dose, and the NOPOX looks as though it has fused/melted the insides of the non-return valve and blocked it up, resulting in no NOPOX being dosed for a while. I only started to look around as I noticed some red blotches on my normally pristine white sand.
So, be careful when dosing NOPOX. Make sure you have a proper silicone tube and not normal 'air tube' stuff. Don't let it near anything Acrylic.