Col's Red Sea S-650

Collo

Why do you need to pull the tank back out for the electrical connection? My plug is also behind the sump area, and I just run it from the power centre, out the back, and along the floor. It's the only cable I have that's showing (as such).

Because I haven't plugged it in, and the tank/stand is in the way of the socket lol

SPR

Because I haven't plugged it in, and the tank/stand is in the way of the socket lol
Just remember you may need to access this at some point, and once it’s full is ain’t going anywhere......

And how the heck did 2 of you manage to lift that thing! Lol

Collo

Just remember you may need to access this at some point, and once it’s full is ain’t going anywhere...…

I hope not because its not possible now lol

And how the heck did 2 of you manage to lift that thing! Lol

Where theres a will theres away - with great difficulty to be honest, I've bruised my thighs where I rested the tank on them - but its on the stand thats the main thing

Ive also fitted the base, divider, plastic sides, tank trim, pipework, sump, powerbox and doors tonight. Still need to level the doors but had enough for tonight. Tomorrow I will fit the pumps and lights and maybe make start on my scape - I need more sand so I cant start filling until then anyway. I also need to go get some ehim tuning for the rocket launcher - can you remember what size you used? was it 16/22?
I've also overlooked a pump for it :/ any suggestions?

SPR

I hope not because its not possible now lol

Where theres a will theres away - with great difficulty to be honest, I've bruised my thighs where I rested the tank on them - but its on the stand thats the main thing

Ive also fitted the base, divider, plastic sides, tank trim, pipework, sump, powerbox and doors tonight. Still need to level the doors but had enough for tonight. Tomorrow I will fit the pumps and lights and maybe make start on my scape - I need more sand so I cant start filling until then anyway. I also need to go get some ehim tuning for the rocket launcher - can you remember what size you used? was it 16/22?
I've also overlooked a pump for it :/ any suggestions?
I think its 16/22 with a 1000 eheim pump thats what i used turned to about half power but just check on the JBL web site it gives the information for the hose size

Last edited:

chickenjohn

I didn't receive a stool with mine, I think it was just for the max-s series, but when I was watching videos to decide which tank to get they all showed it came with a piece of pipe to connect the return pump, mine didn't so I guess its just another penny pinching program from red sea.
Regarding the return pump I can strongly recommend the reef octopus varios pumps, I have the varios 6 on my 425xl and even on full it is absolutely silent, never had a pump this quiet before.

Collo

So red sea replied and said it was a promotion at the time and they ahvent supplied them for some time - aka to cut costs on our premium product you already pay top dollar for we are no longer supplying the £5 we offered.

Anyway on another note, here's the new red sea skimmer in situ, its massive
IMG_20190625_163329.jpg

chickenjohn

Let me know how it goes when you turn it on please as mine is still overflowing after 5 days, doesn't matter what height I had it sat in, I emailed tech support but still waiting for an answer

SPR

Let me know how it goes when you turn it on please as mine is still overflowing after 5 days, doesn't matter what height I had it sat in, I emailed tech support but still waiting for an answer
On the online pictures I’ve seen of this skimmer, there is a black ‘screw’ that fits into air inlet and is presumably to control the amount of air going in. I can’t see it in the picture above which I know isn’t yours. See below

If this is screwed shut like in the picture it should stop the over skimming, and then slowly unscrew it as the skimmer beds in.

I am making these suggestions just from experience with the NYOS (a proper skimmer! Lol) so may be worth looking into if Red Sea aren’t helping much

upload_2019-6-26_5-37-37.jpeg

chickenjohn

Got a reply from tech report

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

As your skimmer is new, and has been in the system for 5 days it may need a little time to ‘break in’ and stabilise in order to remove any harmless residues from the production process. These materials are safe for your aquarium but impede the skimmer’s ability to foam efficiently to start with. Please could I recommend to keep the skimmer sat at approximately the water level sticker on the Skim adjuster and open the collection cup drain hose valve and allow the water to flow back into the sump until the foam production becomes stable. Once stable please close the valve. If this continues into over 7 days please could to remove the skimmer from the sump and clean it with fresh water and rinse thoroughly with hot water. Also adding some fresh carbon to the sump will help remove any possible present impurities.

Regarding the noise, during over skimming the skimmer does tend to be a little noisy. To help with any possible vibrational noise please could we recommend that the venturi is pushed only approximately 0.5 cm into the rubber connector that attaches it to the pump, which will ensure the pump is not vibrating against the venturi causing excessive noise. Then on returning the skimmer to the sump please ensure the skimmer and the cable are not touching the walls/divides of the sump as this will too.

Kind regards,

Collo

I am interested in the 'recess' of the light and I'd like to know if it reduces the light spillage into the room? Is it better for directing the light into the tank?

C'mon, hurry up :)

I will get you some pics tonight - it seems to, but that's based on using 3 Kessil a360's on my previous tank. what do you want to see? full intensity in a darkened room?

Do you use the reef beat app with the hydras? if so what programme are you using, when setting up I set with the 15k setting

Reactions: SPR

Collo

Got a reply from tech report

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

As your skimmer is new, and has been in the system for 5 days it may need a little time to ‘break in’ and stabilise in order to remove any harmless residues from the production process. These materials are safe for your aquarium but impede the skimmer’s ability to foam efficiently to start with. Please could I recommend to keep the skimmer sat at approximately the water level sticker on the Skim adjuster and open the collection cup drain hose valve and allow the water to flow back into the sump until the foam production becomes stable. Once stable please close the valve. If this continues into over 7 days please could to remove the skimmer from the sump and clean it with fresh water and rinse thoroughly with hot water. Also adding some fresh carbon to the sump will help remove any possible present impurities.

Regarding the noise, during over skimming the skimmer does tend to be a little noisy. To help with any possible vibrational noise please could we recommend that the venturi is pushed only approximately 0.5 cm into the rubber connector that attaches it to the pump, which will ensure the pump is not vibrating against the venturi causing excessive noise. Then on returning the skimmer to the sump please ensure the skimmer and the cable are not touching the walls/divides of the sump as this will too.

Kind regards,

is your livestock in the tank now? maybe you don't have enough bioload for the skimmer to do anything currently? 5 days should be plenty to break a skimmer in. My last 2 skimmers were deltec and they both skimmed as soon as I turned them on

Last edited:

chickenjohn

is your livestock in the tank now?
no its still cycling but I tested it in my qt tank which has a bioload and just the same so I will do as tech support say just to cover my ass so to speak then if it doesn't work its going back.
Ive always had deltec skimmers and thought this time I would try the red sea skimmer, wish I had bought the 1000i as I intended to now.

Collo

I don't see why it wont work tbh, but I will be switching mine out if I have similar issues. When I opened it it seemed ok, nothing revolutionary. No dc pump, a very standard design apart from the built in neck cleaner (standard on some other models I know) and the foam view cutout

chickenjohn

I even took it apart again and put it back together just in case I missed something or hadn't put something where it shouldn't, but like you say its a normal design, ill leave it in situ until the weekend, give it a good clean and see what happens.