Col's Red Sea S-650

SPR

I ended up going for 2 32ox bottles, it says each will do 374l

also bough another 4 litres of seachem matrix and another marine pure block - no nitrates for me, thats 8l of matrix, 2 marine pure blocks, 1 Brightwell block all for the sump. I was going to have natural seawater delivered to fill the tank, but decided against it , so bought 20m of 1/4" tuning so I can fill with my rodi unit. My hottub needs a water change so I intent to use the waste to fill that,
Your ‘nearly’ as bad as I am! Lol

ATM Colony does what is says, and 1 of the large bottles is enough, but hey if you’ve got them, then a turbo start. Or send one back.

I wouldn’t however put all of the Matrix etc., in yet. If you have zero nitrate you are asking for trouble with cyno, dino’s, and other annoying things spoiling your enjoyment. If your intending running an ultra low nutrient system then of course fine but you really have to watch things at low levels.

Otherwise I would monitor nitrates and when they get to around 5ppm maybe start adding the Matrix etc but slowly as you need it until you get everything balanced. A good target is around 10 but to be honest I’m probably between 15-20ppm at the moment and everything glows with life. But I’m trying to get down to 10-15 because I just ‘think’ that’s better.

What I would do, and get ready to add, is rhowaphos and reactor like the deltec FR509 which I have. This is the single best thing I ever did to my tank following a green hair algae issue, and I’ve never had any problems since locking phosphate down very low at around 0.03ppm. I have zero algae or anything else.

All of this will depend on your bioload, I do have just ‘a few fish’ so need massive biological filtration including dosing Nopox currently at 22-24ml per day (yes I know higher that the instructions but that’s fine). Nopox is something else for you to buy!

I also have a bag of 250ml purigen as well and this helps with water clarity and is very good.

Oh and the tank weight. It’s very heavy, and I mean very. You need at least 4 strong people to lift it unless their body builders like Nobbygas’s delivery drivers. If I did it again I would hire one of those mini scissor lift trolleys to move it around. Or go to a gym and offer money!

Collo

The largest bottle of they do is 1 gallon but seems it was out of stock everywhere - so 2 of the smaller 32oz ones will have to do.
I have the matrix to add as required to be honest, I'm very impatient though and don't like waiting for things to arrive, so I will have it to hand as and when its needed. Initially I will probably just add a litre or two, or maybe a marine pure block. as my bioload is going to be small to start with.
I've just bought a 5kg tub of Rowa this morning. I was using a deltec FR509 on my last tank, but I cant find it now, so I will be buying one today - are you using a full litre in your reactor?
I have some Purigen on the way :) - I was using that previously, its brilliant stuff. I was probably a bit lazy swapping it on my last tank, along with carbon and rowa lol- I need to set myself a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly task list I think. Start as I mean to go on.

SPR

The largest bottle of they do is 1 gallon but seems it was out of stock everywhere - so 2 of the smaller 32oz ones will have to do.
I have the matrix to add as required to be honest, I'm very impatient though and don't like waiting for things to arrive, so I will have it to hand as and when its needed. Initially I will probably just add a litre or two, or maybe a marine pure block. as my bioload is going to be small to start with.
I've just bought a 5kg tub of Rowa this morning. I was using a deltec FR509 on my last tank, but I cant find it now, so I will be buying one today - are you using a full litre in your reactor?
I have some Purigen on the way :) - I was using that previously, its brilliant stuff. I was probably a bit lazy swapping it on my last tank, along with carbon and rowa lol- I need to set myself a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly task list I think. Start as I mean to go on.

You can set tasks within Apex fusion as your right time, flys by and you forget.

I have reminders to change carbon, filter socks, add coral colours and it also records test results and all sorts.

I also have an excel spread sheet to document everything which you may have seen on my build

On the rhowaphos I feed the reactor from the main return pump through the main manifold. It’s the outlet for the old C Skim which Red Sea used at the time

What you have to watch is the particles in the water clogging the deltec reactor to quickly before the rhowaphos is spent. I now have 3 pieces of filter wool in the sump in different places and this solved the problem of the reactor clogging.

I have tried 1 litre of rhowaphos, but I find before it’s spent the flow through slows and I have to change it. I’ve found the optimum amount is around 300-500g and change it every 3 weeks or so. I might actually try 1 litre again when I change it to see what happens now the filter wool is all in place

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Yep, I once had a Rhowaphos reactor. In the end I took it out. My Nitrates and Phos were too low and I couldn't get anything to grow. Now I just rely on NOPOX for the Phos control, and it appears to be locked at 0.02ppm, so I can't complain. I just have a small bag of Rhowaphos as the bottom of the sump just before the Return Pump section. The Rhowaphos reactor was just another thing that needed cleaning/changing every so often, plus it was yet another small pump to feed it.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Yep, I once had a Rhowaphos reactor. In the end I took it out. My Nitrates and Phos were too low and I couldn't get anything to grow. Now I just rely on NOPOX for the Phos control, and it appears to be locked at 0.02ppm, so I can't complain. I just have a small bag of Rhowaphos as the bottom of the sump just before the Return Pump section. The Rhowaphos reactor was just another thing that needed cleaning/changing every so often, plus it was yet another small pump to feed it.
I think it might be the fish load difference here at play, and poop volumes.

And although I thought my fish addiction was under control, trust me it’s not, I’ve had a fish relapse, infact complete blowout!! Lol

Collo

ok, here you go lol :

red sea max s650
acrylic lid
easi dose dosing containers
x4 reef putty
x4 super glue gel
40kg real reef rock
10kg plating real reef rock
Flipper pro glass cleaner
JBL 36w UV
Kamoro wifi doser
x2 marine pure blocks
x6 red sea media nets
x1 litre of purigen
x1 'the bag' from seachem
x2 32ox bottles of atm colony
x8 litres seachem matrix
x2 22kg buckets of red sea coral pro salt
x1 100gpd 4 stage rodi
x20m 1/4" rodi hose
x1 brightwell brick
x1 red sea multi test kit
x1 red sea reef energy
x1 red sea coral colours
x1 red sea starter kit (not using this now)
x1 red sea foundation
x2 200w titanium heaters
x1 dd temperature controller
x3 bags red sea pink sand
x1 dosing bracket

Still to order:
5 litres of rowaphos
x1 reactor (deltec fr509)
Apex Neptune
Apex autofeeder
Apex Trident (when available)
Apex magnetic probe holder

In addition to the stuff I've bough or still to buy for the tank, I've also had to have two custom vivarium's built, one to house my chameleons and the other to house my sugar gliders. We bought a new kitchen last week and shutters to keep the other half happy :)

SPR

ok, here you go lol :

red sea max s650
acrylic lid
x4 reef putty
x4 super glue gel
40kg real reef rock
JBL 36w UV
Kamoro wifi doser
x2 marine pure blocks
x6 red sea media nets
x1 litre of purigen
x8 litres seachem matrix
x1 100gpd 4 stage rodi
x20m 1/4" rodi hose
x1 brightwell brick
x1 red sea reef energy
x1 red sea coral colours
x1 red sea foundation
x2 200w titanium heaters
x1 dosing bracket

Still to order:
5 litres of rowaphos
Apex Neptune
Apex autofeeder

In addition to the stuff I've bough or still to buy for the tank, I've also had to have two custom vivarium's built, one to house my chameleons and the other to house my sugar gliders. We bought a new kitchen last week and shutters to keep the other half happy :)
OMG we need to get together you ARE as bad as me!! Lol

Nobbygas

ok, here you go lol :

red sea max s650
acrylic lid
x4 reef putty
x4 super glue gel
40kg real reef rock
JBL 36w UV
Kamoro wifi doser
x2 marine pure blocks
x6 red sea media nets
x1 litre of purigen
x8 litres seachem matrix
x1 100gpd 4 stage rodi
x20m 1/4" rodi hose
x1 brightwell brick
x1 red sea reef energy
x1 red sea coral colours
x1 red sea foundation
x2 200w titanium heaters
x1 dosing bracket

Still to order:
5 litres of rowaphos
Apex Neptune
Apex autofeeder

That is an impressive list. Be aware that the Red Sea Ca!c and Mag kits do tend to produce results that seem to be higher than they actually are. I did note one thing missing, and that is a good magnifying glass.......or is that just for us old buggers?

Reactions: SPR

Collo

As there's nothing else to tell you about I may as well tell you my current stocking list that will be transferred over next week once the tank is up and running

x2 Picasso clowns
Blue spot watchman goby (he's an old man now, maybe 7or8)
Juv blueface angel
fireball angel
coral beauty
cleaner fish

they're going to look lost in the 650

SPR

I don't have anyone to help me lift the tank till Monday, so just frame building today, so hopefully only take a couple of hrs
You wish!! lol Took me about 4 days to build the whole thing, but to be fair i did it slowly

Just make sure you don't snap any of the screws as when the tank is up you don't want to be thinking about missing screws and the weight above your head!

Collo

You wish!! lol Took me about 4 days to build the whole thing, but to be fair i did it slowly

Just make sure you don't snap any of the screws as when the tank is up you don't want to be thinking about missing screws and the weight above your head!

LMFAOOO - i'm an engineer, I will let you know how long the stand takes to build tonight haha

It will be quicker than 4 days tho :p