Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

Tank is finally filling up with ro water, then will add salt later when I have more time, at the moment im just filling it for leaks etc. Decided to go with Brightwell neo marine salt purely because wwc use it and if its good enough for them its good enough for me, plus my lfs stocks it as well.
Going to run it at 8 dkh.
Already got my first fish in the qt, a Magnificent Foxface, still only about an inch long, will take a pic when its more settled.

chickenjohn

Need help guys.
Water is getting from the refugium section to the skimmer section at the bottom of the removable baffle, will this cause a problem?
Problem I can see is that the refugium section wont overflow to the skimmer section at the top as it should do.

Nobbygas

Need help guys.
Water is getting from the refugium section to the skimmer section at the bottom of the removable baffle, will this cause a problem?
Problem I can see is that the refugium section wont overflow to the skimmer section at the top as it should do.
Not sure what you mean, but just be patient and let the water flow.

chickenjohn

Ive sorted it, because its an adjustable baffle its not a really tight fit so because I was filling it from my ro unit the flow was too slow to fill the refugium section without water going through the bottom rather than the top, I have been assured it will work fine when the return pump is up and running. Probably not making much sense but I suppose those with a v3 sump will know what I mean.

Nobbygas

I have the old standard sump for the S-650. This was the first ever tank I've had with a sump, so I was a bit nervous when filling up as well. In fact, I was crapping myself when I switched on the Return Pump for the first time. The noise alone is enough to induce a heart attack !
I remember the first switch-on, and I had water leaking out the back. When I assembled the tank, I took off the Downflow Valve a couple of times, just to test how it's done. However, I obviously didn't screw it back tightly enough, hence the leak. A few quick turns with the Allen Key tightened it all up though, with very little water spillage and it's been fine since.

chickenjohn

Ive always had sumped tanks ive had to plumb myself so this is the first aio ive ever had so im nervous myself about switching the return pump on but its all part of the fun. I once had the pipe from return pump to return pipe come off while in bed and got up to a flooded floor so always nervous about turning on return pump.

chickenjohn

Not a lot to photo really at the moment, im still trying to sort sump issues out and skimmer is overflowing despite been in the minus position so hoping its just breaking in and it settles down.
Will have more time at the weekend as got it off so hopefully this weekend sees it up and running and cycling.

chickenjohn

Only thing to report is the skimmer which I turned on on Friday is still overflowing like crazy, the atu on the reefer sump is garbage so I ordered a reefloat atu pro-50 from reefloat which comes today, the good thing about is it has reefer sump adaptor so its just a case of taking out the float valve and replacing it with the sensor from the reefloat atu and happy days.

Nobbygas

Only thing to report is the skimmer which I turned on on Friday is still overflowing like crazy, the atu on the reefer sump is garbage so I ordered a reefloat atu pro-50 from reefloat which comes today, the good thing about is it has reefer sump adaptor so its just a case of taking out the float valve and replacing it with the sensor from the reefloat atu and happy days.
Sometimes it seems as though I am the only person alive still using the original S-650 ATU set-up. It works ok for me. I do have a Tunze Ozmolator for temporary use when I'm away, but for everyday use, it's the old 'toilet cistern' regulator for me !

chickenjohn

I just don't trust float valves.
if you use the osmolator then why don't you just leave it on all the time rather than messing about swapping and changing as and when?

Collo

@Nobbygas my intention is to use the built in system for normal day to day and I also have a tunze that I will use when on holiday

@chickenjohn what skimmer did yours come with? one of the new red sea types?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Sometimes it seems as though I am the only person alive still using the original S-650 ATU set-up. It works ok for me. I do have a Tunze Ozmolator for temporary use when I'm away, but for everyday use, it's the old 'toilet cistern' regulator for me !
I still use it as backup as well, but so I can keep the water reasonably fresh, I turn the Tunze off every few months and the inbuilt system becomes the primary again until near empty.

But my ATO will last around 2 weeks untouched for trips away and because I can turn Tunze off with Apex, if I need it longer than 2 weeks I can revert to the inbuilt system while away or automatically

Are you reading @Collo ! Lol

chickenjohn

@Collo Ive got a reefer tank so doesn't come with any equipment, I bought a red sea rsk 600 skimmer, its a nice and quiet skimmer but not sure if its faulty or its just taking some time to break in as its still overflowing after 5 days

Collo

@Collo Ive got a reefer tank so doesn't come with any equipment, I bought a red sea rsk 600 skimmer, its a nice and quiet skimmer but not sure if its faulty or its just taking some time to break in as its still overflowing after 5 days
I forgot you had the reefer, sorry mate. My skimmer will go in tonight, I need to hoover the sump though, its full of polystyrene beads :/

Nobbygas

I just don't trust float valves.
if you use the osmolator then why don't you just leave it on all the time rather than messing about swapping and changing as and when?
I use the Tunze when on holiday as I then put a 100L container next to the tank on the floor, and place the Osmolater inside the ATU refill chamber. With the 100L and the inbuilt 38L that is enough to last two weeks.