Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I just remembered that yesterday my tank was officially 3 years old, and I guess now mature

So, here are a few pictures, probably posted before showing the development of the tank over the years, and wow what an adventure this has been.

And just to recall this is pretty much my first fish tank of any kind

The adventure so far........

IMG_2352.jpgIMG_2353.jpgIMG_2358.jpgIMG_2390.jpgIMG_2702.jpgIMG_2753.jpg10803766128_IMG_3510.jpg7661429432605188972_IMG_4259.jpg3312243031786563482_IMG_3664.jpg1848933094631875494_IMG_3766.jpg

SPR

So I arrived back from Spain yesterday, and all is well, infact the tank was looking beautiful in the evening.

I cleaned the dirty glass and then thought, I’ll turn the protein skimmer up a bit.

And then I spent all evening with it over skimming, the old skimmate went back out of the container into the tank, which made it go even crazier. The Tunze ATO was freaking out to top the water up....

So I had to turn the skimmer back right down, and now I’ll have to tune it back in again, having had it working perfectly well for months while I’ve been away with no issues!

Shaun, KEEP YOU FLIPPING HANDS OFF THINGS!!! Lol

Collo

Well, I finally got to the end. Brilliant tank build thread. After reading yours and Nobby's build threads, I'm glad I went for the max 650 - my tank arrives in 2 days :D

SPR

Well, I finally got to the end. Brilliant tank build thread. After reading yours and Nobby's build threads, I'm glad I went for the max 650 - my tank arrives in 2 days :D
You won’t be disappointed, the systems are stunning and I would buy another without hesitation.

Only problem being I’m starting to get an itch for a ‘massive’ custom system and infact made a call yesterday. I have many places to put one. And I’m talking very big........ but then again I may control my urges. Problem is, I don’t have anything to do anymore apart from minor maintenance and I guess enjoying it.

If you’ve just finished my thread, that would probably explain your long shopping list! Lol

Collo

It does haha, between yours and Nobby's builds, I've ordered what seemed to work for you two, along with what I've used previously, I think that's should set me up. Its funny though as some of the equipment you decided to chose is the same as I've used previously, it was giving me deja vu whilst reading. Obviously everyone uses Rowaphos, but the Deltec FR509 was the reactor I was using on my last tank. Citric acid (because amazon sell it lol) for cleaning. Home brew buckets to mix water, I had a very similar setup for miracle mud, the list goes on. One thing I didn't have and I'm now looking forward to getting is an apex and getting that set up, I've obviously seen them about but never really looked into what they could do until I was reading your build, so its inspired me to get one.
One of the biggest things from your thread is the amount of fish you have been able to keep and still manage nitrates etc, I had half as many fish in my last build and struggled the whole time. But I know its possible to have lots of fish (keeps the wife and kids happy) but still manage the bio load to keep the corals happy

SPR

It does haha, between yours and Nobby's builds, I've ordered what seemed to work for you two, along with what I've used previously, I think that's should set me up. Its funny though as some of the equipment you decided to chose is the same as I've used previously, it was giving me deja vu whilst reading. Obviously everyone uses Rowaphos, but the Deltec FR509 was the reactor I was using on my last tank. Citric acid (because amazon sell it lol) for cleaning. Home brew buckets to mix water, I had a very similar setup for miracle mud, the list goes on. One thing I didn't have and I'm now looking forward to getting is an apex and getting that set up, I've obviously seen them about but never really looked into what they could do until I was reading your build, so its inspired me to get one.
One of the biggest things from your thread is the amount of fish you have been able to keep and still manage nitrates etc, I had half as many fish in my last build and struggled the whole time. But I know its possible to have lots of fish (keeps the wife and kids happy) but still manage the bio load to keep the corals happy
Apex is excellent, and I would also get a HD camera to point at the tank and sump for when your away. Then you can check any alerts. I can switch the sump light on and look around from anywhere in the world as I leave the doors open when I’m away.

I don’t however have any pumps into Apex, there all in the power centre still. The reason, firstly I didn’t want to create a single point of failure as although you can program Apex to set power to default ‘on’ on a socket if it crashed, the pumps are critical systems and should always be on, so there was no need to control them. The other reason is the Apex power bar only has 6 sockets so I didn’t want to waste any. You can of course add another power bar.

On the fish, you can have as many as you want provided the nutrient export system is up to the job.

My current list is

Regal Angelfish
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
Yellow Tang
Regal Tang
Purple Tang
Kole Tang
Pair of Blue Throat Triggers that have spawned on many occasions
Pair of clown fish
Magnificent Foxface
Red Wrasse (can’t remember proper name!)
Yellow/banana Wrasse
1 Yellow Goby
Royal Gamma
Starry Blenny
5 Green Chromis
5 Azure Damsels
3 Lyretail Anthias (originally 7)

Mmm maybe room for a few more!

I may have missed someone......

And it’s great to have you wish us now Collo, and anything you need to know just ask.

SPR

So I was bored today, left work early, and thought mmmm I’ll call at a shop.....

And Into my bag fell

Yellow Goby
Silver Belly Wrasse
Sailfin Tang
Heralds Angelfish

And with self control and not wishing to empty all there tanks of fish I left, promptly!

But they had a small emperor angelfish and a small blue faced angelfish and I really want them, but I know they might eat the contents of my tank, but they might not, mmmmmm

SPR

So my updated fish list is below and includes some I forgot above

Regal Angelfish
Heralds Angelfish
Flame Angelfish
Coral Beauty
Yellow Tang
Regal Tang
Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
Sailfin Tang
Pair of Blue Throat Triggers that have spawned on many occasions
Pair of clown fish
Magnificent Foxface
Red Wrasse (can’t remember proper name!)
Yellow/banana Wrasse
Silver Belly Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Neon Dottyback
2 Yellow Goby
Starry Blenny
Mandarin fish
5 Green Chromis
5 Azure Damsels
3 Lyretail Anthias (originally 7)

But I feel I must go back to feed my addiction!! Lol

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I do like the Herald's. A nice deep vibrant Yellow normally.
The Silver Belly Wrasse.....now, I bought what was described as a Green Wrasse. When I got it it was about 2" long and was a nice Green colour. Now, it has grown and is in fact the biggest fattest fish in the tank. It has also lost the Green colour, and is now just plain ole Silver. I think the Silver Belly Wrasse may go the same way. But, he is a friendly fish though and doesn't bother anyone or anything.
Comparing your fish list to mine, I had seven Blue Chromis, and I'm now down to two. When they are gone I will not replace them. Anthias don't seem to kill each other off in the same way as the Chromis do!
Five Azure Damsel's ? That is like having an ISIS cell in your tank! Damsels are the terrorists of the aquarium world!

Nobbygas

You won’t be disappointed, the systems are stunning and I would buy another without hesitation.

Only problem being I’m starting to get an itch for a ‘massive’ custom system and infact made a call yesterday. I have many places to put one. And I’m talking very big........ but then again I may control my urges. Problem is, I don’t have anything to do anymore apart from minor maintenance and I guess enjoying it.

If you’ve just finished my thread, that would probably explain your long shopping list! Lol
Tell us more. What are your thoughts regarding the new mahoosive tank. How big are you thinking?