Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

Do you think this thread would be better in the red sea max forum?
If so can a mod move it there please or just leave it be if you think its better in this forum.
Thanks

Pancho75

Just had confirmation from my lfs that my tank, skimmer, and lights will be here on Wednesday woohoo!!!!!!
Cant pick it up though until Friday or Saturday due to work but at least now I have a date to look forward too.
So stress balls at the ready and remove all throwable items before starting to build.
Cheers
John
Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chickenjohn

Ok guys tank has arrived at lfs but due to space at home ive just brung the cabinet home so I can put that together and then pick tank up and put it straight on cabinet.
Started building cabinet at 10.00 and finished at 14.30, diy not my strong point, anyway going to pick tank and sump up tomorrow, I will take some photos when the tank is up and in place, cant see the point in taking pics of me stressing while building the cabinet, lets hope my coral keeping skills is better than my diy skills.

chickenjohn

Hey Guys
After a few family problems to sort out and a fantastic holiday in Riviera Maya,Mexico the tank is finally taking shape, sump equipment is in, lights are up, rock is in, just got to tidy up cables and controllers and little things like that then I will get it wet.
List of equipment is as follows
red sea rsk 600 skimmer
reef octopus varios 6 return pump
2 x 200w aqua medic titanium heaters with d-d heater controller and a d-d dual fan
2 maxspect gyre 250's
2 ecotech mp40wqd
Kamoer x4 doser
3 hydra 26hd special edition lights
ai prime refugium light
60lb caribsea life rock shapes
d-d net cover
Marine pure block

Other equipment
hanna checkers for calcium, alkalinity and phoshorous
hanna waterproof salinity tester
red sea pro nitrate, magnesium, calcium, alkalinity test kits
red sea reef mature pro to cycle tank
Red sea alk, calc, and magnesium.
red sea colours
red sea reef nutrition
red sea nopox

cant seem to upload pics, saying they are too large
any help appreciated

chickenjohn

Thanks Glenn
Here are a few pics of progress so far, photography not my strong point so you will have to excuse the poor photos.
20190608_141042.jpg 20190608_141057.jpg 20190608_141115.jpg 20190608_141150.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the 'scape'. Ive tried for caves, lots of holes for the fish, and easy placement of corals.
Be as critical as you like as I will learn more

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I like the scape and the swim throughs !
index.php

Nobbygas

Because your a LAR and you should clean your sump out more often! Lol

But I must admit, it does look very clean, and shiny, and non smelly and dingy........ just enjoy, it won’t be like it for long! Lol
After three years, a clean sump is the sign of a sick mind.....just saying.

chickenjohn

My last sump got cleaned out once a year if i could be bothered so i took a photo of this one while its new to remind me in the future of what it looked like to try and motivate me to clean more but i dont think that will be enough.
What do you guys think of the scape? Should i change things? Im happy how it is but because ive never done corals before im just wondering if it could be tweaked here and there or its fine etc.

Nobbygas

I like the scape. If I may be bold may I suggest a few 'fingers' of rock stretching out from the bottom (is that clear?). Sometimes you may find some corals that prefer to be near the sand, and if you have some 'fingers' sticking out just about the sand it can be a good place for corals, plus it moves them out a bit so they are not overshadowed by the growing corals above? Just a thought.

SPR

The scape looks fine for coral placement and caves for the fish etc., and I agree with Nobbygas, maybe have a few pieces of rock at the bottom that sort of flow down and away from the main structures (the so called 'fingers').

It will also make it a little more natural, but of course this is all personal preference and you have to look at it.

But of course so do we, so it needs to be right!! lol

The third picture down in the following link is one of my favourites when i researched the subject, and I 'sort of' tried to make mine a little like this, although its grown a lot since.

https://evergreenblue.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/aquascaping-the-reef-tank-part-1-inspiration/

Just some thoughts....