Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

I am back from holiday and I'm happy to report that everything is ok with the tank. Phew!
Only one thing though. When I left I had a Male/Female pair of Blue Throated Triggers. It now looks like I have two Males! The 'Female' has yellow edges to the fins and a yellow tail. All it needs is the Blue Throat and the transformation will be complete! Why has this happened?

SPR

I am back from holiday and I'm happy to report that everything is ok with the tank. Phew!
Only one thing though. When I left I had a Male/Female pair of Blue Throated Triggers. It now looks like I have two Males! The 'Female' has yellow edges to the fins and a yellow tail. All it needs is the Blue Throat and the transformation will be complete! Why has this happened?
Maybe they just prefer to be ‘special friends’?

Or the LFS sold you 2 males in the first place!

Nobbygas

Maybe they just prefer to be ‘special friends’?

Or the LFS sold you 2 males in the first place!
She was a typical female, brown tail and everything. I was doing my usual mental check list when I got back. Two yellow tangs, check. Two clowns, check. Male trigger check. Female trigger.....um...where is she? Rewind and start again. Male trigger, check. Male trigger, check, whoa, hold on a second!

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I'm looking for answers....
Any Blue Throated Trigger experts out there?
I assumed the 'dance' in the video I posted earlier was a form of mating, but could it have been a show of strength? Why has the Female transitioned into a Male? I now have two Male Blue Throated Triggers !
I'm reminded of the song Lola by the Kinks - "Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walks like a woman and talks like a man".........

SPR

I'm looking for answers....
Any Blue Throated Trigger experts out there?
I assumed the 'dance' in the video I posted earlier was a form of mating, but could it have been a show of strength? Why has the Female transitioned into a Male? I now have two Male Blue Throated Triggers !
I'm reminded of the song Lola by the Kinks - "Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walks like a woman and talks like a man".........
Lol!

Let’s have some pictures then when you get chance so we can have a laugh, sorry look!

Nobbygas

Oh you may laugh, but when WW3 breaks out in the tank I will catch one and send it to you!

Here is Roberta, or the newly named Bob ! As you can see, the Yellow edging is quite evident. The tail still has some Brown tinting but it is changing colour.

Oh, and see the Anemone just below and to the right of the fish? That moved half way down the tank and popped up right there, slap bang in the middle of two Torches. I've had to move them.

Fem1.jpg

SPR

Oh you may laugh, but when WW3 breaks out in the tank I will catch one and send it to you!

Here is Roberta, or the newly named Bob ! As you can see, the Yellow edging is quite evident. The tail still has some Brown tinting but it is changing colour.

Oh, and see the Anemone just below and to the right of the fish? That moved half way down the tank and popped up right there, slap bang in the middle of two Torches. I've had to move them.

View attachment 49043
She’s just finding her way in life! Lol

I’m sure you’ve already searched but there are some instances similar documented on other sites, not exactly scientific evidence.

One mentions is it that Roberta was very young and hadn’t yet developed full colouration and was actually male and misidentified?

Might be interested to view before and after pictures

Nobbygas

They have been in the tank since April 12th 2018, so just over one year. I don't think she was misidentified. The fact is she is transforming and I just have to assume it's "one of those things".

Nobbygas

At some point on a frag I obviously 'imported' some Green Mushrooms. It was ok, no big deal. However, they began to spread everywhere. I had Green Mushrooms popping up in every nook and cranny.
I've found the best way to reduce or get rid of them is just to squirt some Aipstasia X into the middle of it. It'll be gone by the next day. Very easy to do and a good way to keep them under control.

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, I have found the name of the Anthias I bought. All of mine are Females at the moment. They will grow to be slightly bigger than the 'normal' Anthias. I really like these as they are not that common (I think). I've never seen them before to be honest. Looking forward to when one of the females transitions.

"The Bimaculatus Anthias (pseudanthias bimaculatus) is also known as the Twospot or Twinspot Anthias. The males have one or two spots on their dorsal fin, with a pink head that fades to a vibrant red extending to the tail. Irregular pink bars run horizontally along the body, making this fish one of the most gorgeous of all Anthias. The females of the species are pink with a yellow dorsal, anal and caudal fin. These unique Anthias are beautiful fish for the fish only, invertebrate, or reef aquarium."

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1139/?pcatid=1139

SPR

Ha, ha, I have found the name of the Anthias I bought. All of mine are Females at the moment. They will grow to be slightly bigger than the 'normal' Anthias. I really like these as they are not that common (I think). I've never seen them before to be honest. Looking forward to when one of the females transitions.

"The Bimaculatus Anthias (pseudanthias bimaculatus) is also known as the Twospot or Twinspot Anthias. The males have one or two spots on their dorsal fin, with a pink head that fades to a vibrant red extending to the tail. Irregular pink bars run horizontally along the body, making this fish one of the most gorgeous of all Anthias. The females of the species are pink with a yellow dorsal, anal and caudal fin. These unique Anthias are beautiful fish for the fish only, invertebrate, or reef aquarium."

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1139/?pcatid=1139
Very nice. I think anthias are one of my favourite fish, the jewels of the reef.....