RR's RSM S650

rustyreefer

Quick update
Tank still cycling. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all present. My test kit maxes at 1ppm for nitrite and that is where it has been. Nitrate is somewhere between 20 and 50. The RS kit goes from 20-50 with nothing in between.

Dosed ammonia a total of 3 times in different amounts to try and maintain 1.2-2 ppm on ammonia.

Expect my APEX to be in later this week and will work on a mounting board that will likely go on the wall between the power supply and the sump(power supply side)I’ll add pictures as I get started.

Added a few LED lights in the sump area for better lighting. Worked out well.
0518d4a7ec7cc5cc408f9543a9b3c508.jpg

0518d4a7ec7cc5cc408f9543a9b3c508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

rustyreefer

So I decided to not do an in sump fuge, but rather decided to order a custom external fuge last night.
I really didn't like the way the fuge was going to flow in the left compartment. So, I contacted Modular Marine last night to see if they could make a stand alone fuge that measured 16Lx10Wx12H and within 30 minutes they replied that they could, provided the price and sent the invoice. So far so good. They are a little backed up so a few weeks from now I should have it.
Planning to put it on a riser sitting just above the water line in the left compartment, pushed all the way to the back. It will have a black bottom already and I plan to black out the right side that will be next to the skimmer to keep light from going where I do not want it to. Will update with pictures as things progress.

Testing update
Ammonia is on its way down. 0.8 last night
I did not dose the tank again. Thinking of waiting until it goes to 0 along with Nitrites, then dosing some ammonia and seeing how long it takes to go away.

Have group A on order as well and plan to let the LFS quarantine for me since I don't have an established tank to kick off a QT. I do have a spare 20 gallon laying around that I will use in the future, but for now I will let the LFS take care of that for me.
Group A:
8 Blue Green Chromis
2 Royal Grammas

Hoping the 2 RG's will get along ok. I have read mixed reviews on that but it is a fairly large tank with lots of space so giving it a shot.

Nobbygas

So I decided to not do an in sump fuge, but rather decided to order a custom external fuge last night.
I really didn't like the way the fuge was going to flow in the left compartment. So, I contacted Modular Marine last night to see if they could make a stand alone fuge that measured 16Lx10Wx12H and within 30 minutes they replied that they could, provided the price and sent the invoice. So far so good. They are a little backed up so a few weeks from now I should have it.
Planning to put it on a riser sitting just above the water line in the left compartment, pushed all the way to the back. It will have a black bottom already and I plan to black out the right side that will be next to the skimmer to keep light from going where I do not want it to. Will update with pictures as things progress.

Testing update
Ammonia is on its way down. 0.8 last night
I did not dose the tank again. Thinking of waiting until it goes to 0 along with Nitrites, then dosing some ammonia and seeing how long it takes to go away.

Have group A on order as well and plan to let the LFS quarantine for me since I don't have an established tank to kick off a QT. I do have a spare 20 gallon laying around that I will use in the future, but for now I will let the LFS take care of that for me.
Group A:
8 Blue Green Chromis
2 Royal Grammas

Hoping the 2 RG's will get along ok. I have read mixed reviews on that but it is a fairly large tank with lots of space so giving it a shot.
I have two RG's. I added the first one, and I would say that he's about a medium size. Later on I bought two smaller ones, in the hope/belief that they were female and the existing one was male. One of the younger ones has disappeared, but the other is fine and there are no aggression problems. If you get more than one at the same time, make sure that they are already in the same tank in the shop, then there shouldn't be any problems.
I don't have a QT. I have an LFS that does QT their fish before selling them. I'm afraid I don't have the time/patience to use a QT. I know it's a risk but when any disease rears it's ugly head I use reef friendly remedies.

rustyreefer

I have two RG's. I added the first one, and I would say that he's about a medium size. Later on I bought two smaller ones, in the hope/belief that they were female and the existing one was male. One of the younger ones has disappeared, but the other is fine and there are no aggression problems. If you get more than one at the same time, make sure that they are already in the same tank in the shop, then there shouldn't be any problems.
I don't have a QT. I have an LFS that does QT their fish before selling them. I'm afraid I don't have the time/patience to use a QT. I know it's a risk but when any disease rears it's ugly head I use reef friendly remedies.

Thanks for the feedback Nobby! I feel the same way about the QT, and in my 20+ years of keeping freshwater fish I have never QTed. I have the time, but maybe not the patience lol.. We will see how many times I actually do it. For now I am planning on starting out doing so though.

SPR

Thanks for the feedback Nobby! I feel the same way about the QT, and in my 20+ years of keeping freshwater fish I have never QTed. I have the time, but maybe not the patience lol.. We will see how many times I actually do it. For now I am planning on starting out doing so though.
What is this QT magic you speak off?

Last edited:

rustyreefer

What is this QT magic you speak off?
Its what everyone is doing. Didn't you know? Well everyone except you and Nobby!

In all seriousness though. When running a cichlid tank, if I had a fish show signs of disease I could just pull all the rockwork out and net them. That will be impossible with a reef tank so I feel like this is the safest way to not introduce something to the tank from the start.

SPR

Its what everyone is doing. Didn't you know? Well everyone except you and Nobby!

In all seriousness though. When running a cichlid tank, if I had a fish show signs of disease I could just pull all the rockwork out and net them. That will be impossible with a reef tank so I feel like this is the safest way to not introduce something to the tank from the start.
I think from what I’ve read on various sites, the US seems a different market to Europe, and I would agree quarantine is probably a good idea to be safe, but of course there can be endless debate on this.

Immune system development...........

Pancho75

I do not quarantine my fish, normally I would pay them and let them in the LFS a couple of weeks, if they are healthy after two weeks take them directly into my tank.

rustyreefer

I do not quarantine my fish, normally I would pay them and let them in the LFS a couple of weeks, if they are healthy after two weeks take them directly into my tank.

That is pretty much what I am doing on the first batch I am getting. May end up doing that long term as well if all works out ok.

Nobbygas

Couple small tweaks to the scape and added some marinepure media to the sump. Will end up moving the marinepure to the five since it creates good habitat for pods. Maybe this will be the last small tweak on scape before stocking :)

bde8dba2cfe93cb52ff17e94dc7af7be.jpg

268f38afcba606b2d9e9acca9c5d2089.jpg

94843de01c7a54ab13092dbe86d717e3.jpg

1373caf41ff55abd93571780528f7cbb.jpg

Are you intending to keep the back wall clean, or will you just let 'stuff' grow on it. I only ask because you may want to move the rocks forward a touch if you want to keep it clean. I've always kept mine clean, and I think it's because I came from the Freshwater World. It's a personal thing but I feel that a clean back wall tends to help the colours of the fish and the corals pop.

SPR

Are you intending to keep the back wall clean, or will you just let 'stuff' grow on it. I only ask because you may want to move the rocks forward a touch if you want to keep it clean. I've always kept mine clean, and I think it's because I came from the Freshwater World. It's a personal thing but I feel that a clean back wall tends to help the colours of the fish and the corals pop.
And gives it more depth..... I agree I guess it’s personal choice

There are some quite striking pictures of the effect of a dirty and clean back wall on my build thread, early on, as originally I left it because I thought I was supposed to, and then realised I didn’t have to. So I cleaned it and it makes quiet a difference

rustyreefer

I thought I would just leave it, but now that you mention it; maybe I should look at some images to make sure before stocking. If I decide to clean it I will need to shift everything forward which I believe will be fairly easy.

rustyreefer

And gives it more depth..... I agree I guess it’s personal choice

There are some quite striking pictures of the effect of a dirty and clean back wall on my build thread, early on, as originally I left it because I thought I was supposed to, and then realised I didn’t have to. So I cleaned it and it makes quiet a difference
I do recall seeing that in your thread. I will go have another look today.