Coral Aquarium

Atlas

Hello! This happens to be my first post/thread on this forum, and am also new to saltwater aquariums in general.
I have an 40 gallon aquarium with the measures 12 inches(width) by 36 inches(lenght) 16.75 inches(height) and was wondering if this aquarium size would be sufficient for corals. I'm not sure if this is smart or not, but I was wanting to keep this aquarium only for corals. As for the coral, I had my eye on any of the following:
  1. Hollywood Stunner
  2. WWC Green Birdsnest
  3. WWC Copper Pavona
  4. Red or Green Bag Aussie Lord
My tank is currently a freshwater tank, so I will need to replace the gear (filter/heater/water treatment/ect.) to provide a happy home for coral. Do you all have any recommendations for brands that you trust? I'm really lacking in basic knowledge for saltwater tanks, so feel free to completely ignore this post or send me away to gather a basic understanding understanding for how saltwater tanks work.:)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Lots of 40 gallon sw tanks... lights that can support corals will be key. Sure some members can advise - I have had AIO Red Sea Max tanks (All-in-one) 30 & 66 gallon tanks.

When you get going with your sw journey post us some pics !

Uncle99

40g tank is fine for corals.
It's always good to keep a fish or two as they keep the nitrate and phosphate levels just a hair above zero. Corals use N&P as a food source so you will starve them without trace N&P

I keep my nitrates between 2-5ppm and phosphate between 0.03-0.07

The best filter is your rock, if you live rock, make sure there are no hitchhikers or just use dry rock.

For a heater, I really like the new Fluval E series, have a read on these and you will see just how advanced this heater (and the cobalt) are.

If your going to keep corals you MUST use RODI water to make your saltwater, water as you can imagine is the single most important component, next to light and for light, I like LED's I am guessing you need at least 150-200 watts in the correct colour spectrum to maintain corals.

As for your pics for corals look fine to me, just watch that stunner, it's a chalice and can and will sting others if it can reach so give him some room.

While salt is salt, cheap is cheap. The cheapest may lack the appropriate levels of what ya need.

Something that helped me a lot was what is called "DaveK" standard lectures, in the stickies.....really good stuff...save you time and money.

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary, we do not ignore our members.

So welcome, ask what you like!

So let your adventure begin!

DaveK

I have an 40 gallon aquarium with the measures 12 inches(width) by 36 inches(lenght) 16.75 inches(height) ...

First check they volume of your tank verses the dimensions. The dimensions don't work out to 40 gal, rather it's about 31 gal.

Either way, that is a large enough tank for corals, so you don't have a problem there.

However, figure out what all the other gear will cost you. Often you'll find that the price of the tank is among the least expensive parts of a SW tank. You may find that it would not cost you much more to include a much larger tank in all this.

As a note, SW is a lot harder on equipment compared to a FW system. I recommend you always buy top quality equipment. This doesn't mean you need to get the most expensive items out there. It does mean that you don't want to skimp to save a few dollars.

Since @Uncle99 mentioned it, I'll repost my standard lecture #1.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

End of lecture

A note on my "standard lectures". On this forum we often get people new to the hobby, or a similar question that is often asked. I came up with the standard lectures as a way to provide some basic information on a topic, and have it something that was fairly short and easy to take in. They also make sure I cover the most important points. It gives people a place to start. I revise them from time to time if I think something else should be included or I have modified my opinions on the subject.

saintsreturn

I see you got a great start with the information above! All knowledgeable people so enjoy the reading.

When you get going, be sure to post pics for us all to enjoy and for you to look back on and see your progress.

Volume is fine for coral, i ran several years in a 29g.

Heaters are like cars, everyone has them and they are all different. I buy the aqueon pro's from petco.com and replace them every 12 months (i run two and rotate their replacement). for $40 a year, it is worth never getting shocked again... i hope.

I love my bubble magnus skimmer, but was very happy with my reef octo. Return pumps i use are Sicce right now, but will be the reef octo one next. I like AI and Ecotech lights, preferably Ecotech. My opinion on lights is built on years of trying different things, but you will find some amazing tanks with much lower cost options. If you want LED, SBreef seems to have good reviews too. Just avoid the big box store brands that also make tanks.

Wavemakers are very personal based on what you want for the look. I love Gyres, but run Ecotech MP series pumps.

Good luck and ask away.