Snowflake eel

Hi all, I inherited a tank full of saltwater fish, snails, anemones, coral and 1 snow flake eel. It was a good set up with 2 filtration systems, skimmer, lighting and heat source. But slowly but surely my fish were dying off. Now after a costly option of buying more fish to replace the dead ones I now know why. My snowflake is a serial killer. All I have left is snails and of coarse the king of tank Snowflake Eel. I had to get smaller tank and even though my local fish guy has sold me campanions (star fish, sea urchin) that will be fine with the eel so he said, they too have perished. Maybe I can put another eel. I feed the eel frozen krill but I think he loves live bait.

DaveK

You choice comes down to this. Keep the snowflake eel and be content to have it as the only fish in the tank, or remove the eel and give, sell or trade it to some one that wants a snowflake eel as the only fish in the tank.

If it was up to me i would leave it alone and feed it small fish for the rest of his life. But I have children that want to see more fish in there. I think perhaps I will get another tank. Thanks for the input.

Oxylebius

Tank mates for eels include other relatively large, aggressive fish, such as lionfish, tangs, triggerfish, wrasses. You can get a dwarf lionfish and it will have a defense against the eel.

Oxylebius

BTW - the snowflake eel I had ate all the snails and crabs in the tank & not the fish I had with it.