Wmacintosh

As the title states I’m looking to see if anyone thinks this is overstocking a Red Sea max 250.
2 clowns
2 chromis
1 springer damsel
————————currently in the tank^
I want to add:
3 chalk bass
a mandarin dragonette
Maybe a goby but def not a requirement.

I do 15% water changes weekly and keep my nitrates and phosphates around 0 right now.

Thanks!

Reactions: SPR

Uncle99

Yes to the mandarin provided the tank is mature at least one year, has lots of LR, and will be the only exclusive pod eater in the tank.image.jpeg

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

Here is how this breaks down. The system holes about 66 gallons of water (US gallons). By the time you add live rock and live sand your down to about 45 - 50 gallons.

You want to allow about 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. This works out to about 9 to 10 total inches of fish. You should also account for growth. Clowns can reach about 6 inches, but 3 to 4 inches is more common in an aquarium. Damsels are a bit smaller, typical max is about 3 inches.

Currently you have 5 fish in the tank. I would say you are currently at the max or close to it for your tank. I would not add more fish without removing something first.

Now there are some people that go way above these suggested max limits, but in my opinion they are "building a house of cards" in that the least little problem can easily bring the whole system crashing down.

All is not lost. Now you can start planning for that 500 gal reef system you always wanted. (grin)

Uncle99

image.jpeg image.jpeg You can "stretch" or "contract" the rule somewhat dependant on each fishes temperament and environmental needs.
I have your tank size, and I house 9 fish, 2 of which are tangs, and 3 Shrimp.

In order of placement, in year one.
-pair of black ocellaris
-purple firefish
-orange anthais
-lawnmower
-gramma
-skunk, fire, and pep shrimp
-mandarin last

image.jpeg
At 16 months, the last two which were
-yellow tang
-blue tang
(The above two will require a bigger tank in 2-3 years)

Now 25 months

Last edited: