EVB's Red Sea Max S 650 LED

emvanburen

Thanks for the likes/comments regarding the video. Learning new skills!

I saw this video on BRSTV and decided to move away from Reefspec lighting program.

The recommended settings are:
Ab+ on hydra 26
Uv 118
Violet 101
Royal 82
Blue 65
Green 5.5
Red 5
White 19

I'm liking the look of it. It is definitely lower PAR (both measured, and observed) - I've been worried that I had too much light for some of my corals so I'm hoping this will work better and look better. I found the Reefspec settings had too much white - which made the tank look harsh. I have seen that my ALK consumption has dropped 20-40ml since reducing the settings. Less growth, but more / better color - would be an ok tradeoff for me.

I have to say, I haven't seen much content from Red Sea lately. I have been slowly moving away from their products in some areas - Reef Energy to Acropower (doesn't require refridgeration), Foundation Calcium to BRS CaCl (doesn't mix into a brown sludge). I wonder what's next.

Pancho75

I saw this video on BRSTV and decided to move away from Reefspec lighting program.

Ab+ on hydra 26
Uv 118
Violet 101
Royal 82
Blue 65
Green 5.5
Red 5
White 19

I'm liking the look of it. It is definitely lower PAR (both measured, and observed) - I've been worried that I had too much light for some of my corals so I'm hoping this will work better and look better. I found the Reefspec settings had too much white - which made the tank look harsh. I have seen that my ALK consumption has dropped 20-40ml since reducing the settings. Less growth, but more / better color - would be an ok tradeoff for me.

I have to say, I haven't seen much content from Red Sea lately. I have been slowly moving away from their products in some areas - Reef Energy to Acropower (doesn't require refridgeration), Foundation Calcium to BRS CaCl (doesn't mix into a brown sludge). I wonder what's next.
Hey @emvanburen, I red in some place the Ab+ settings were only for 10 hours long photoperiods, how many hours per day are you planning to using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Ab+ on hydra 26
Uv 118
Violet 101
Royal 82
Blue 65
Green 5.5
Red 5
White 19

I moved away from the reefspec light settings a long time ago as like you I thought that it was a bit harsh'. I currently run the 'Saxby settings'. Basically, David Saxby has probably one of the finest home aquariums in the UK. He is also the MD of D-D, the company that make the Hydra lights. My feeling is that if anyone can get the best from these lights then it just has to be him?
I'm not moving away from Red Sea as a company though. I still think they provide the best aquarium solutions out there. However, you have to be sensible and understand that Red Sea may not always be correct every time. It is right to criticize sometimes as this will provide Red Sea with the impetus to improve, and that is something that we all want :)

emvanburen

Hey @emvanburen, I red in some place the Ab+ settings were only for 10 hours long photoperiods, how many hours per day are you planning to using?

Pancho - I went to 8 hours full with 2 hour ramps on both sides. I was at 2,5 hour ramps and 7 hours full with reefspec profile.

No idea why I had the 2,5 hour ramp - probably too slow - I bet two hours is too much too!

emvanburen

I moved away from the reefspec light settings a long time ago as like you I thought that it was a bit harsh'. I currently run the 'Saxby settings'. Basically, David Saxby has probably one of the finest home aquariums in the UK. He is also the MD of D-D, the company that make the Hydra lights. My feeling is that if anyone can get the best from these lights then it just has to be him?
I'm not moving away from Red Sea as a company though. I still think they provide the best aquarium solutions out there. However, you have to be sensible and understand that Red Sea may not always be correct every time. It is right to criticize sometimes as this will provide Red Sea with the impetus to improve, and that is something that we all want :)
Yes Saxby’s tank is legendary - what are your numbers ? Doesn’t he do a sawtooth with his intensity? Seemed too complicated for me!

Nobbygas

Yes Saxby’s tank is legendary - what are your numbers ? Doesn’t he do a sawtooth with his intensity? Seemed too complicated for me!

It's not complicated if you just download the settings :)
Sorry, what numbers are you after? The Saxby settings are four hour ramp up, four hours at full intensity, and a four hour ramp down. The sawtooth effect is to simulate clouds moving overhead, I think.

emvanburen

It's not complicated if you just download the settings :)
Sorry, what numbers are you after? The Saxby settings are four hour ramp up, four hours at full intensity, and a four hour ramp down. The sawtooth effect is to simulate clouds moving overhead, I think.
The spectrum numbers at full peak what what I was curious about.

SPR

Just before you all go and change the settings a quote from someone involved

‘One has to remember that although David's aquarium is 4 feet deep the tank will also have many more lights over it (pucks per foot square) than most hobbyists tanks so all things being equal you may not have to reduce the %’

Nobbygas

Just before you all go and change the settings a quote from someone involved

‘One has to remember that although David's aquarium is 4 feet deep the tank will also have many more lights over it (pucks per foot square) than most hobbyists tanks so all things being equal you may not have to reduce the %’
That is the good thing about the A1 app. It is easy to switch between settings, so why not have a look and see what it is like on your own tank? I am happy with it on the S-650........unless of course, anyone knows something different!

Pancho75

It’s amazing how these lights are so controllable and we are all running them differently!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1f940ec11253bf83fbca3eba450390f5.jpg

I am going to give them a try!!!

I am going with 4 hours ramp up and down, I will maintain the pick for 4 hours as well. Also I set the acclimation starting at 65% and gradually increasing during a period of 7 weeks to have 5% increases per week.

Last edited:

emvanburen

For me so far the color is much better and the family likes it more. I measured the PAR before after and it was probably a 20% drop from a high of 500 on the top of the reef. Now my sand is in the 100-150 range and most sps corals are between 200-400. Since I have to prune already anyway a reduction in growth rate - if that’s what my reduction in alk consumption means - is ok. Im going to stay with this for a while.