LPS with Current USA Marine Pro?

LPS_Blasto

I'm bulding a new 40g breeder. I only want LPS and zoas. Nothing requiring high light, such as SPS or clams.

Will this work? It's 2 strips @ 36w each, so 72 watts total - don't know if that makes a difference when talking about LED's. I've never been able to figure out how to convert watts per gallon to LED's. Back in the day of MH and T5, we mostly used a rule of thumb that was 4.0 -- 4.5 watts per gallon for softies and 5.5 -- 6++ watts per gallon for SPS.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...quariums-Current_USA-CU04226-FILTFILD-vi.html

My wife really wanted me to buy this because of the LOOP feature and the weather features. I'm okay with adding supplemental T5's or LED strips if this is not enough wattage. I like the LOOP feature and was planning to run 2 wave pumps and a DC return pump with the controller.... all Current USA products.

I've done quite a bit of research on lighting. So much that my head hurts. I can't afford Kessils or ReefBrights right now. I've also never been one to buy the newest, most expensive koolaid on the market. Not saying Kessils are koolaid --- just that they're not in my budget at this time.I don't want to buy a black box LED from Amazon, because it appears the quality is hit or miss and we're not willing to risk a house fire to save $50 on what is essentially a TOY (reefing is funded with expendable "hobby" money). Unless somebody can give me a really convincing argument that all the big name stuff really is just koolaid, even the Current USA brand.

I've never used LED's before, so trying to determine what will produce the right light at the right price point is quite difficult. I have no experience in LED lens's and intensity. In the past, I had 6x24 T5HO over a 29g and it was growing anything I wanted (no SPS or clams... as I'm not a fan). I had scolys, blastos, acans, hammers, any LPS I wanted and the zoas were turning into a psychedelic carpet over anything they touched. I also had a 30L with a 175w MH 14,000K and that tank was fine too. Anything I wanted to grow.....

I know how to make a tank stable and I know how to take my time and be patient. REALLY need input on LED lighting before I can go much further.

Thanks in advance

DaveK

Watts per gallon was always a very subjective way to evaluate lighting in a reef system. It's completely out of date for lighting systems today. You can safely ignore it.

I'm not too much of a fan of Current USA LED lighting fixtures. They are ok, but don't come close to the major players in reef system lighting. Seriously consider the lighting by AI, Kessil, EcoTech and the other more serious players. Yes, they are somewhat more expensive, but you'll get a lot more features and a lot better control out of them. For example, you would spend about $340 for the Current USA fixture, but you could get two AI Prime fixtures for about $400, only slightly more, and have much better LED's especially in the blue and violet spectrum, a lot better control via your computer or smartphone, and more total light.

I would also not consider using the loop feature on Current USA lighting. I especially would not get all other Current USA devices in order to use this. The problem occurs because like many other vendors, some things they make are good, some ok, and some garbage. You don't want to be tied to a single vendor.

If you want a controller, and I would consider one only after every other part of the system is up to par, look into companies that specialize in controllers, and can control a lot of products sold by a lot of other vendors. Look at something like a Neptune system Apex controller.

LPS_Blasto

I really cant justify the cost of an Apxx system for a 40g breeder. If you REALLY add up the total cost to make it do everything, you're into thousands of dollars just for the controller system.

I wanted to get back into the hobby and was trying to embrace the new LED and DC technology on a budget. No worries. Will change gears.

Uncle99

Lighting for corals is critical, but that can be done on a budget.
True, some Blackboxes may not be safe, but that's not all.

The Visparspectra 165w LED is a super quiet, well built reef lighting for about $125.

I have 2, each cover 24" cube, really makes the LPS "pop" and growth rate excellent.

Two things you got to have is perfect water and correct lighting.
image.jpeg