HELP! Red Sea Max-S650 SUMP

bhbbhb

I have a Red Sea max S650. I have had it for several years. I am wanting to change out the sump. Van anyone direct me to discussions or information on folks who may have done this ? I want to use socks and the current flow does not allow for that.
Thanks
BHB

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I have a Red Sea max S650. I have had it for several years. I am wanting to change out the sump. Van anyone direct me to discussions or information on folks who may have done this ? I want to use socks and the current flow does not allow for that.
Thanks
BHB
Well I use filter socks in mine, is yours the original, do you have pictures?

bhbbhb

See.
See below. The sock is way in the back and difficult to change out. Want to redesign so that I can easily switch them

952AAA84-C29A-4F15-83EE-0C352F9C0BE6.jpeg

Reactions: SPR

SPR

We’re the sock is now is we’re the socks are in the current systems (slightly forward and not directly under the downpipe) so either it’s an old sump or someone has taken the holders out

There is a picture of my sump showing everything about 2 pages back on my build thread

You might just need to get a new bracket or adapt is somehow

Last edited:

emvanburen

It looks like the pipe is mounted forward of where it is supposed to be. The pipes are supposed to go straight down into the back chamber. Then the water flows into the chamber w two holes where the socks go.

I changed the sock holders to the plastic cups Red Sea sells and now just change filter floss. Much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

On the subject of filter socks. You may not need them at all. If your running a decent skimmer it will pick up most of the fine particulates that a filter sock does. In my own system, I no longer use filter socks unless I need to remove some sort of suspended matter. I do need to clean the skimmer more often, but it's a lot easier for me to do that.

Try your system without the filter socks for a couple of weeks and see if you need them or not. If you don't need them you have saved yourself an expensive sump upgrade.