Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

This is a picture of one of my Lyretail Anthias

View attachment 48758
I was reading something interesting the other day......can't remember where though. What it said was basically this.
With groupings of fish like Anthias for example, we all accept that normally one is the Male, and the rest are Female. Over time, the population of these fish in our tanks tends to dwindle, which we blame on Female aggression that determines the pecking order. This article claimed that what actually happens is that one or two of the Females actually begin their transition to Male, but stop from making that full transition while the Male lives. As soon as the Male dies, one of the transitioning fish will complete the transition. The reason for this is that it reduces the time from the Male dying to having another Male leading the pack. It's natures way of shortening the time where there are no Males. It is these transitioning fish that cause the problems, as they cannot work out if they are Female, or Male.
I may have simplified the article a fair bit there, but I'm sure you get the drift, and it may help explain why we lose fish from these groupings on a regular basis?

SPR

I was reading something interesting the other day......can't remember where though. What it said was basically this.
With groupings of fish like Anthias for example, we all accept that normally one is the Male, and the rest are Female. Over time, the population of these fish in our tanks tends to dwindle, which we blame on Female aggression that determines the pecking order. This article claimed that what actually happens is that one or two of the Females actually begin their transition to Male, but stop from making that full transition while the Male lives. As soon as the Male dies, one of the transitioning fish will complete the transition. The reason for this is that it reduces the time from the Male dying to having another Male leading the pack. It's natures way of shortening the time where there are no Males. It is these transitioning fish that cause the problems, as they cannot work out if they are Female, or Male.
I may have simplified the article a fair bit there, but I'm sure you get the drift, and it may help explain why we lose fish from these groupings on a regular basis?
Well i have 2 larger anthias, 1 is like a pink colour and I assume that's the male, but there is a second one which is like an in between orange and pink so maybe this is true.

The numbers definitely dwindle and its the same with the Chromis. There all slightly different sizes from the large one to the small one. Its rather odd really in that they are all amongst the feeding frenzy for the food.

Odd things are fish...…...

Nobbygas

My Male Lyretail Anthia is totally different to the Females in size, colour and shape. He is more Red, where the females are Orange. It should be very easy to spot the Male Anthia.

SPR

I’m about to go off to Antigua for a week, so I’ve been getting the tank ready which basically means trying not to touch anything unless absolutely necessary

I had to change the rhowaphos in the reactor which was getting clogged up and slowly getting everything ready

Anyway I know you like pictures so here’s another one......

7585930032_IMG_0034.jpg

Nobbygas

Shaun, I know you are on holiday, but sober up for a few seconds.
Where have you put your Seachem Matrix? I ask because I have one litre, and I put it in a bag under the Activated Charcoal in that section before the Return Pump section. Now, following all the advice on this forum, I did purchase this magic ingredient, but since it has gone in my Nitrates have risen steadily ! Yes, I'm looking at you lot suspiciously.
Do you think it should it just sit in the larger section next to the Marine Pure block?

SPR

Where have you put your Seachem Matrix? I ask because I have one litre, and I put it in a bag under the Activated Charcoal in that section before the Return Pump section. Now, following all the advice on this forum, I did purchase this magic ingredient, but since it has gone in my Nitrates have risen steadily ! Yes, I'm looking at you lot suspiciously.
Do you think it should it just sit in the larger section next to the Marine Pure block?
5 litres of mine is in the left hand sump with the Marine Pure block so it has slow flow which is what it needs for anaerobic denitrification

I just have 1 litre in the small glass section under were the carbon sits on top, but at some point I’ll probably move it to the left side. The water flow is to fast, you really need anaerobic bacteria.

You need more than 1 bag I think. I have 6 litres in total and1 bag won’t make much difference in 650 litres so I would get some more. It’s not that expensive and it shouldn’t need replaceing

Last edited:

Pancho75

I did not experienced any nitrate spikes in my system after adding the Matrix. I am using it in the activated carbon area.

In fact my nitrates spiked due to fish dying and not having enough CUC since them my nitrates are now almost normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk