Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Well if you can catch it maybe take it back or you could well have problems in the future?

And I appreciate ‘if you can catch it’!
Heh, heh, yeah, if I can catch it ! I think the only way to catch it is to watch where it enters the sand for it's sleep, and then quickly trawl through that spot with a net and hopefully catch the sleepy bugger ! It's a lovely fish though. It has a much deeper Yellow than the Tangs.

SPR

I think I have a canary wrasse, well I do, and I’ve just read up on them both and the banana wrasse is a darker yellow colour going on a bit orange, whereas the canary is just a nice yellow colour

And your correct the banana is a grumpy bugger, aggressive and not reef safe.

And..
It should reside in a 125 gallon or larger aquarium, with other aggressive tank mates, such as Tangs, Puffers and small Triggers and Angels. They are active fish and require plenty of rocks for hiding and a tight-fitting lid. It will become territorial and harass any new additions to the community, therefore, it should be added last to the tank. It may be kept with a mate, if the aquarium is 125 gallons or larger. It may eat mantis shrimp and bristleworms. It does not eat corals or live plants.

Nobbygas

I think I have a canary wrasse, well I do, and I’ve just read up on them both and the banana wrasse is a darker yellow colour going on a bit orange, whereas the canary is just a nice yellow colour

And your correct the banana is a grumpy bugger, aggressive and not reef safe.

And..
It should reside in a 125 gallon or larger aquarium, with other aggressive tank mates, such as Tangs, Puffers and small Triggers and Angels. They are active fish and require plenty of rocks for hiding and a tight-fitting lid. It will become territorial and harass any new additions to the community, therefore, it should be added last to the tank. It may be kept with a mate, if the aquarium is 125 gallons or larger. It may eat mantis shrimp and bristleworms. It does not eat corals or live plants.
Why can't the suppliers do a bit of genetic modification, and turn the beasts like the Banana Wrasse into Aipstasia eating critters? I think I will have a word with one of the LFS to see if they are interested in taking him off my hands. It's the thought that the thing I have now is relatively young and could grow to be 12 inches! Saying that, a 12 inch Banana Wrasse would look magnificent I sure, but at some point I will want to add fish to the tank, but this thing is a maniac !

My mind is made up, and she (for it is a she) has to go.

Nobbygas

Like Shaun, my tank is growing nicely and all I usually do is just run an eye over things, clean the glass, skimmer etc.............but I'm always looking for something new to try!
I have turned my attention to those little bits of coral we find floating around the tank. I often see bits of Ricordia or Mushrooms laying at the bottom of the rocks. I used to just leave them and wait and see if they landed anywhere, and if another colony would start up, but quite often the bits would disappear under the rock, never to be seen again. So, I now fish them out (pardon the pun) and stick them to some old plugs I have spare. I then put them back into the tank in a quiet spot to see if they can develop further. I do the same for those bits of SPS that I break off when I get a bit clumsy in the tank......yes c'mon, we all do it ! I suppose you could it a bit of Propagation.

Pancho75

Like Shaun, my tank is growing nicely and all I usually do is just run an eye over things, clean the glass, skimmer etc.............but I'm always looking for something new to try!
I have turned my attention to those little bits of coral we find floating around the tank. I often see bits of Ricordia or Mushrooms laying at the bottom of the rocks. I used to just leave them and wait and see if they landed anywhere, and if another colony would start up, but quite often the bits would disappear under the rock, never to be seen again. So, I now fish them out (pardon the pun) and stick them to some old plugs I have spare. I then put them back into the tank in a quiet spot to see if they can develop further. I do the same for those bits of SPS that I break off when I get a bit clumsy in the tank......yes c'mon, we all do it ! I suppose you could it a bit of Propagation.
I think that is a sweet spot, the tank is not flying solo but very close to it.

It is a relief to know we all are clumpsy ! ! LOL, honestly that’s how some of my montis have extended in other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Female Leopard swimming outside the trap having a look at her new hunk.View attachment 48739

Sorry to hear that the Macropharyngodon meleagris didn't make it.

They don't ship well and tend to be hard to get to eat in captivity. The time difference tends to be an issue as well, likely yours had been awake for a while before you saw it, shipped from a different time zone and it was used to being awake a different hours. They also can be full of intestinal worms. I tend to keep mine in an observations tank and de-worm them before they go into the main display.

These two that you had were different species of leopard wrasses. And they are both the female coloration of the two species. One was a Macropharyngodon meleagris and the other is a Macropharyngodon bipartitus. Mixing female leopard wrasses usually isn't an issue. Sometimes when you do have a male in the mix there are issues with mixing other types of leopards with them.

There are like 10 different species of leopards.
Labridae:
Macropharyngodon
°bipartitus
§ bipartitus
§ marisrubri
° choati
° cyanoguttatus
° geoffroyi
° kuiteri
° meleagris
° moyeri
° negrosensis
° ornatus
° vivienae

All are born female and will change into male if others of the same species are around. If you get another young female Macropharyngodon bipartitus, likely the one you have will change into the male. The male colors are gorgeous with greenish-blue that are sort of in stripes.

Nobbygas

Sorry to hear that the Macropharyngodon meleagris didn't make it.

They don't ship well and tend to be hard to get to eat in captivity. The time difference tends to be an issue as well, likely yours had been awake for a while before you saw it, shipped from a different time zone and it was used to being awake a different hours. They also can be full of intestinal worms. I tend to keep mine in an observations tank and de-worm them before they go into the main display.

These two that you had were different species of leopard wrasses. And they are both the female coloration of the two species. One was a Macropharyngodon meleagris and the other is a Macropharyngodon bipartitus. Mixing female leopard wrasses usually isn't an issue. Sometimes when you do have a male in the mix there are issues with mixing other types of leopards with them.

There are like 10 different species of leopards.
Labridae:
Macropharyngodon
°bipartitus
§ bipartitus
§ marisrubri
° choati
° cyanoguttatus
° geoffroyi
° kuiteri
° meleagris
° moyeri
° negrosensis
° ornatus
° vivienae
All are born female and will change into male if others of the same species are around. If you get another young female Macropharyngodon bipartitus, likely the one you have will change into the male. The male colors are gorgeous with greenish-blue that are sort of in stripes.
Thank you for that information. I do have a hard time sometimes with the fish because of the language problems. I have to rely on the latin names for ID sometimes, and this can often lead to confusion and mistakes, because either the shop can get it wrong, or I do !

Nobbygas

Those odd things that crop up!

I am dosing Colours ABC&D to the calculated amount based on Calc uptake. On my last ICP test, it indicated that Iodine was at Zero, yet Iodine is one of the main components of Colours A, as it says on the bottle. I have now started dosing Iodine separately. Why hasn't Colours A 'kept up' with the Iodine level?

Pancho75

Those odd things that crop up!

I am dosing Colours ABC&D to the calculated amount based on Calc uptake. On my last ICP test, it indicated that Iodine was at Zero, yet Iodine is one of the main components of Colours A, as it says on the bottle. I have now started dosing Iodine separately. Why hasn't Colours A 'kept up' with the Iodine level?
This may mean your Corals consumption may not be either heavily in Iodine or the Colours A has not been enough but I have never used Red Sea Colours. I add Iodine weekly basis.

Nobbygas

This may mean your Corals consumption may not be either heavily in Iodine or the Colours A has not been enough but I have never used Red Sea Colours. I add Iodine weekly basis.

Yep, I've started with three drops a day of Iodine. There are some days I forget, but that's the way these things are. I've been doing this for about three weeks now, and one thing I have noticed is an incredible growth spurt on nearly all corals ! I don't know if it is the Iodine, or the slight rise in Phos, or the rise in Nitrates to 20ppm, but something has kick-started growth.

SPR

Yep, I've started with three drops a day of Iodine. There are some days I forget, but that's the way these things are. I've been doing this for about three weeks now, and one thing I have noticed is an incredible growth spurt on nearly all corals ! I don't know if it is the Iodine, or the slight rise in Phos, or the rise in Nitrates to 20ppm, but something has kick-started growth.
If you raise the nutrient levels the corals will grow faster and probably glow with life as their healthier, especially if you also raise the foundation elements a little as well. You may find SPS suffer though, starting with brown out as the zooxanthellae levels increase, but all systems are different.

Just watch the phosphate level as personally I found that anything over around 0.1ppm can be the start of potential algae issues

Nobbygas

If you raise the nutrient levels the corals will grow faster and probably glow with life as their healthier, especially if you also raise the foundation elements a little as well. You may find SPS suffer though, starting with brown out as the zooxanthellae levels increase, but all systems are different.

Just watch the phosphate level as personally I found that anything over around 0.1ppm can be the start of potential algae issues
I have one piece of SPS in particular that when I bought it it was a bright green. In my tank it was just brown with just a tiny hint of green........now, it's bright green again! It has coloured up in just weeks! I will be putting the Rhowphos Reactor back in as the Phos has crept up to 0.04ppm and I have started to get a reddish tinge on the sand. I did increase the NOPOX as both Nitrate and Phos were creeping up, but that didn't have any effect because as we know, NOPOX sometimes struggles to contain the Phos.

Nobbygas

My name is Nobby, and I am a reefing failure. There, I've said it.

Practically all of my corals are growing very nicely.........all except one. It's my Green Star Polyp (GSP). Yes, that very coral that is recommended to all beginners as it is easy to grow, it thrives in practically any conditions, it's a 'nuclear' coral (it can survive nuclear war). No matter how bad how you mess up, it still grows. If you are not careful, it spreads everywhere. Except in my tank.
My piece is on a rock that is separate from the main rock to stop it spreading, or so I thought. It's really struggling. Maybe there are some Asterina's eating it? I don't want to fork out 40 euro on Harlequin Shrimp in an attempt to save a two bob piece of coral, especially as there is the chance the shrimp will be chomped by a Wrasse.

I think the first thing I can do is remove the rock and give it a dip to see if anything drops off.

Oh the shame.

SPR

Practically all of my corals are growing very nicely.........all except one. It's my Green Star Polyp (GSP). Yes, that very coral that is recommended to all beginners as it is easy to grow, it thrives in practically any conditions, it's a 'nuclear' coral (it can survive nuclear war). No matter how bad how you mess up, it still grows. If you are not careful, it spreads everywhere. Except in my tank.
My piece is on a rock that is separate from the main rock to stop it spreading, or so I thought. It's really struggling. Maybe there are some Asterina's eating it? I don't want to fork out 40 euro on Harlequin Shrimp in an attempt to save a two bob piece of coral, especially as there is the chance the shrimp will be chomped by a Wrasse.

I think the first thing I can do is remove the rock and give it a dip to see if anything drops off.

Oh the shame.
I have the same problem at the moment and I think something is still eating it, so just have a look around especially early morning when the lights are out

Pancho75

Oh the shame.
hahaha.

GSP likes light and good flow, you may try to move it to a different location to have a better chance with this “difficult” coral.

I noticed my GSP are growing slower in my S-500 than in my nano as the light they are getting is fewer now.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Somedays....somedays........

My Orange Spotted Goby popped it's mortal coil. There didn't appear to be anything wrong, no marks or anything, so I am assuming it was just an age thing, as he was a bit of a chunky long monster. I have had him for just under two years.

So, off I pop to the LFS to get another one, as in my opinion they are essential for the aquarium. I get a nice little one with plenty of growth left in him. Do all the normal acclimatization stuff, and pop him in. He was swimming around and sucking on the sand like a good little chap. I then had to go to work........I came home just after midnight to find him on the floor in front of the tank, even though I have a Red Sea Mesh cover with not a single gap ! How...what!!!!

Pancho75

Somedays....somedays........

My Orange Spotted Goby popped it's mortal coil. There didn't appear to be anything wrong, no marks or anything, so I am assuming it was just an age thing, as he was a bit of a chunky long monster. I have had him for just under two years.

So, off I pop to the LFS to get another one, as in my opinion they are essential for the aquarium. I get a nice little one with plenty of growth left in him. Do all the normal acclimatization stuff, and pop him in. He was swimming around and sucking on the sand like a good little chap. I then had to go to work........I came home just after midnight to find him on the floor in front of the tank, even though I have a Red Sea Mesh cover with not a single gap ! How...what!!!!
I am sorry amigo, I really like the OSG and they do an awesome job. Unfortunately I found the same issue, two fire fish jumped out even with Red Sea cover without any holes....