my Green Mandarin won't eat frozen food

RedSea_New59

Just got a beautiful Green Mandarin, and although she grazes on live rocks and looks healthy, she does not eat my frozen Mysis or brine shrimp. Any suggestions as to what/how to feed her, or should I just leave her to graze?

Pancho75

Just got a beautiful Green Mandarin, and although she grazes on live rocks and looks healthy, she does not eat my frozen Mysis or brine shrimp. Any suggestions as to what/how to feed her, or should I just leave her to graze?
You should buy live pods, mandarins are hunters and sometimes may completely refuse to eat frozen food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

It can be difficult to get a mandarin to eat most frozen food but you might try frozen bloodworms. If you want to go to the trouble of raising them live white worms often work.

You need about 50 gal of water with live rock to support enough pods to keep a single mandarin. You also need to make sure you have no other fish, such as wrasses, that feed heavly on pods.

I know you will not like this, but your best solution here would be to return the fish to your LFS, and replace it with a fish that doesn't have such demanding feeding requirements.

Uncle99

I have been successful in supplementing PODS with newly hatched brine shrimp, fed phyto and Selcon for a couple of hours before use to increase nutritional value, I Use when they are about 48 hours old, placed in the tank after lights out and no flow for 1 hour so they can find places to hide in the rock, and fed phyto in the tank every day or two to keep these nauplii alive.

+1 with DaveK, on having no other competitors for PODS.

Mine now 24 months old...

Pomacanthidae

mandarins will rarely eat prepared foods, and will usually only feed on live copepods and amphipods. These fish are good with peaceful tankmates that won't outcompete it for food, like gobies. If you have a wrasse or dottyback, you have to get rid of one of the two.