Red Sea Max or Reefer?

Zerobytes

Literally, on a daily basis I go back and forth on should I get the Red Sea Max 170 or Reefer 170.

I'm looking for ease of operation/setup of the tank so I can focus on fish and corals. So that always leads me to the Max. Then I start thinking about maintenance and I go back to the Reefer.

Going to have to draw out of a hat soon but would appreciate opinions here to help me decide.

Thx!

DaveK

Before you spend any money, ask yourself, what am I trying to get out of the tank, and what am I trying to keep?

Figure that out first, and then consider how any system you want fits into what you want to do. Also consider that there are plenty of other options besides Red Sea. While they are popular, they may not be the best system in all cases. For example, if you want a very large refugium in relationship to the display tank, you may want to build your system from various components. Others like DIY projects because they can build the system exactly the way they want it.

Pancho75

Well, I will always shoot for the Max, it has better components in the stand and it is ready to go from day one.

One of the best things about the Max is the are sleek and beautiful, you do not have any wires in the exterior perfects for any living room or any other place in the house.

I do own a Max S-500 and I can tell you I will buy another again if I would need a new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zerobytes

Well, I will always shoot for the Max, it has better components in the stand and it is ready to go from day one.

One of the best things about the Max is the are sleek and beautiful, you do not have any wires in the exterior perfects for any living room or any other place in the house.

I do own a Max S-500 and I can tell you I will buy another again if I would need a new tank.

Hi Pancho.

How is maintenance on it? Do you have to get into the sump area much? If so, is it easy to deal with?

Pancho75

Hi Pancho.

How is maintenance on it? Do you have to get into the sump area much? If so, is it easy to deal with?
There are fundamental differences with the S-500, in my case the sump is below the DT and I have good access to it. The maintenance I do it every month to make sure it stays clean. For the E-170 I understand there are two options for the sump, the rear version that I assume it is more difficult to clean/access to it and an upgrade with in-cabinet sump that will give you more volume and better accessibility, @SPR as a previous owner of a E-series Max do you a comment?

Last edited:

SPR

I can tell you that maintenance on the Max E260 was a bit fiddly as all the equipment is in the compact compartment at the back, and having more experience in the hobby, I wouldn’t buy another. I guess the E170 is even smaller

The E tanks are very nice systems, quality built and designed for a specific market (so I’m not criticising the product in anyway) but the S Series is no comparison, and I guess the Reefers are better with more room etc.

Your correct to think about the maintenance at this stage. I was new so didn’t I just looked at the display tank

Zerobytes

Sump maintenance... IMO will not be bad at all... a lot less work than the water changes you will be doing... on my 66 gallon RSM 250, I can clean the sump in the back in less than 20 mins. and only have to clean it a few times a year. If this helps...

That's good the hear. I'm pretty much going with the Max 170 (at least today. :) ). I'll use the cabinet for a larger ATO and aquarium "stuff".

Zerobytes

Hi. What type of materials do you recommend for the Media Rack in the Max 170? Does not having the water run through a filter sock measurably impact the overall filtration?