Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

It’s been a miserable weekend here in the UK (so no white ball hitting!) so yesterday I thought I might do some of those maintenance jobs that I don’t really like doing. Infact the ones I hate doing.

So after about 2 hours sitting there thinking shall I, well I can’t really be bothered, but I ought to really, no I’ll just leave it, I decided to take out and clean the rear circulation pumps. It’s been nearly a year to the day since they were last cleaned.

So I took out the first 2, shoved a couple of filter floss balls into the holes to stop fish swimming through, and left them to soak for an hour in a solution of citric acid. I prefer this to vinegar just because it doesn’t small as much.

While the pumps were soaking, I replaced the 4 rear circulation vent covers with my spare set, and I also took out the rear flow overflow combs and soaked them for an hour or so. These are something easy to forget and like the vent covers, will get encrusted with coralline if left to long which makes them much harder to remove.

After an hour most of the coralline algae had dissolved from the hose outlets and the pumps were as good as new. To be honest apart from the casings, the impeller and inside were not to bad so I might leave it 2 years before the next clean! Lol

So I set to work taking the final 2 pumps out to soak and putting the first 2 back into place.

The following picture shows the rear section with all pumps removed and you can see all the anemones, probably Aipstasia on the combs. Ignore the Apex sensor holder on its side it’s not normally in that position

839cafe5f506b07c186053f9a77de4eb.jpg

You will note the 2 pieces of filter floss in the holes. Whilst clambering to put the 2 pumps back, I was looking down from the back of the tank thinking those are unusual sponges. It was only when I poked one of them I realised it was the back of the filter floss sticking through (what an idiot! Lol)

2 pumps back in, I stuffed the 2 pieces of sponge/filter floss into the other 2 holes for the other pumps and waited an hour for them to soak. When I went back to refit them, I looked into the rear chamber, and in the few minutes before I blocked the holes, a stupid Wrasse has gone through the hole into the rear chamber. And then decided to hide. It was pure luck I spotted him.

So a 2 minute job took me another 30 minutes whilst I tried to catch this stupid fish.......

So with the all pumps cleaned and up and running I also cleaned the Apex salinity probe as it had been 3 months and it usually freaks out after that period so while I had the back off, cleaned and then recalibrated.

So today (yes it’s raining!) I thought in for a penny...... I’ll make some beer and some wine... yes I’ll digress slightly but bear with me I’m going mad with boredom!

So I’ve made some English Old Suffolk strong ale, picture of finished version below after conditioning and ‘one I made earlier’ (8%!) and some Pino Grigio and white Zinfandel (winexpert selection kits if your interested - I also mainly make the winexpert Eclipse Reds which are excellent)

2d10e0487efab628a4742c3604e7ec1b.jpg

Anyway after replenishing my alcohol stock, I though I know Ill change the main pump, so I did and it took just 2 minutes to swap the pump back to the original and put the spare into soak and storage. It had been in for about 6 months and was pretty clean inside.

I’m sure the original is quieter than the spare but......

The picture below is of my excel spreadsheet up dated including a ‘clean rear overflow weirs’ section.

You can also see clearly under the nitrate test results were I changed the test kit to the NYOS and added 6 litres of Seachem Matrix. The drop is very noticeable.

3139ed4d3596b9be74ac1bc3b7b2ad42.png

So maintenance done, alcohol replenished..........
That rear chamber looks right manky ! Ugh.
I shall bow down to your greater experience regarding the wine. My wine appreciation ability runs to Red=good, White=no good and Rose=girlie drink.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the Nitrates.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

That rear chamber looks right manky ! Ugh.
I shall bow down to your greater experience regarding the wine. My wine appreciation ability runs to Red=good, White=no good and Rose=girlie drink.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the Nitrates.
It is right manky!

I syphon it out from time to time when i do a water change, and its getting ready i think!

SPR

Here are a few pictures and explanatory notes on the current life support and general equipment

This is the complete system including black cabinet to the side.

8816ab653df76d985acd207219e39ed5.jpg

Well what’s inside said black cabinet I here you say......

All sorts! Lol

b5a5b0d295ae9a43c2a31a0cfc4dcca9.jpg

At the back of the cabinet, screwed to a wooden panel is the Apex system with various modules.

You can see what’s in the cabinet including dried foods, dosing containers, glass clothes and scrapers, refractometer etc. Did I mention nest of wires!

The following is a picture of the Kamoer doser, temperature controller and Tunze Osmolator ATO and a very good algae clip I purchased. You can also see the Apex and ‘wiring looms’ as well!

c345e86e3d4aafd912ad5e754eb63912.jpg

The following is the power centre with large ATO reservoir underneath which hold around 90 litres of RODI water and will last around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. This is used by the Tunze and their is also around 5 days in the rear of the tank via the built in float ATO system which will cut in if the Tunze fails or runs out of water.

cfd15d7575bc18adc7fbde24adc26e31.jpg

And now the sump

b53194744f2b8262f7ecd0ad5b4188d9.jpg

I’ve shown this picture before but basically
Bottom left - Seachem Matrix bags x 6 litres and a marine pure block. DD UV-C steriliser at the back and deltec FR509 rhowaphos reactor fed from the return pump.

Back middle is the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer, with a large skimmate container (ex wine/grape juice container!) which will last easy 2 weeks provided the skimmer doesn’t ‘freak out’. This container is inside the sump so in the event of overflow it will just run back into the sump.

Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason.

Underneath are mesh bags of Red Sea activated carbon and Purigen, along with some more Martrix.

I have also added 2 lots of filter floss which has made a great deal of difference in terms of mechanical filtration, in particular keeping the deltec reactor clear of debris from the main pump. I just change it every week or so and it works a treat.

And then there is Apex

Those of you who have it will know the piece of mind it provides and what this system can do. I wouldn’t be without it now.

c849548dd33dcf17fc451ed8d2d6323b.png

Anyway that’s a brief explanation of the system

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Here are a few pictures and explanatory notes on the current life support and general equipment

This is the complete system including black cabinet to the side.

8816ab653df76d985acd207219e39ed5.jpg

Well what’s inside said black cabinet I here you say......

All sorts! Lol

b5a5b0d295ae9a43c2a31a0cfc4dcca9.jpg

At the back of the cabinet, screwed to a wooden panel is the Apex system with various modules.

You can see what’s in the cabinet including dried foods, dosing containers, glass clothes and scrapers, refractometer etc. Did I mention nest of wires!

The following is a picture of the Kamoer doser, temperature controller and Tunze Osmolator ATO and a very good algae clip I purchased. You can also see the Apex and ‘wiring looms’ as well!

c345e86e3d4aafd912ad5e754eb63912.jpg

The following is the power centre with large ATO reservoir underneath which hold around 90 litres of RODI water and will last around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. This is used by the Tunze and their is also around 5 days in the rear of the tank via the built in float ATO system which will cut in if the Tunze fails or runs out of water.

cfd15d7575bc18adc7fbde24adc26e31.jpg

And now the sump

b53194744f2b8262f7ecd0ad5b4188d9.jpg

I’ve shown this picture before but basically
Bottom left - Seachem Matrix bags x 6 litres and a marine pure block. DD UV-C steriliser at the back and deltec FR509 rhowaphos reactor fed from the return pump.

Back middle is the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer, with a large skimmate container (ex wine/grape juice container!) which will last easy 2 weeks provided the skimmer doesn’t ‘freak out’. This container is inside the sump so in the event of overflow it will just run back into the sump.

Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason.

Underneath are mesh bags of Red Sea activated carbon and Purigen, along with some more Martrix.

I have also added 2 lots of filter floss which has made a great deal of difference in terms of mechanical filtration, in particular keeping the deltec reactor clear of debris from the main pump. I just change it every week or so and it works a treat.

And then there is Apex

Those of you who have it will know the piece of mind it provides and what this system can do. I wouldn’t be without it now.

c849548dd33dcf17fc451ed8d2d6323b.png

Anyway that’s a brief explanation of the system
"Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason."
You need these.....A Flow Indicator. Easy to fit, and you can see the flow at a glance. Only about a fiver each. Well worth it.

13174_0.jpg

Reactions: SPR

SPR

"Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason."
You need these.....A Flow Indicator. Easy to fit, and you can see the flow at a glance. Only about a fiver each. Well worth it.

13174_0.jpg
That looks a good idea, I’ll have a look at them.

Nobbygas

That looks a good idea, I’ll have a look at them.
I have one on the feed to the Chiller, and one on the outlet pipe of the UVC. As you can see from the photo is just a question of cutting the tube and fitting it to both ends of the Flow Indicator. Make sure you get the right size for your tubing.

SPR

That is a nice BTA!!! I have always wanted to have one, good move. Are your clowns fish happy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well they are happily still in the top left hand corner of the tank we’re they have always been! Lol

To be honest I never considered if they would host the anemone, maybe they haven’t found it yet.......

Nobbygas

Well they are happily still in the top left hand corner of the tank we’re they have always been! Lol

To be honest I never considered if they would host the anemone, maybe they haven’t found it yet.......
I found that when I introduced the anemone, the Clown's still didn't want to leave their Torch. Eventually, with the help of a net, I managed to 'move them' down the tank, and as soon as they saw the anemone, they were hooked. They just need some encouragement.

SPR

I purchased some new ‘coral scissors’ recently and as you can see they are very long at 14 inches

It makes it much easier to clip any corals near the bottom.

I have some Polyps which came with another coral and are starting ‘to offend my eye’.

It’s silly how some corals role over and die because they don’t like something minor, but the ones that are a pain in the bottom can survive a constant onslaught, from me! Lol

30fe96d013374b0f17d8eb39399b8a45.jpg

Pancho75

I purchased some new ‘coral scissors’ recently and as you can see they are very long at 14 inches

It makes it much easier to clip any corals near the bottom.

I have some Polyps which came with another coral and are starting ‘to offend my eye’.

It’s silly how some corals role over and die because they don’t like something minor, but the ones that are a pain in the bottom can survive a constant onslaught, from me! Lol

30fe96d013374b0f17d8eb39399b8a45.jpg
That is Murphy’s law for corals, the ones you like hardly grow and the ones you are not so much attached to grow like weed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

It's the same with fish. I had two Yellow Bellied Damsels that had been with me for years. They were in my old Nano tank. I had plague, famine, locusts, the lot, but these two terrorists of the deep just would not die ! I couldn't just yank them out as for some perverse reason they were my son's favourite's. In the end I think old age got them........and they are never to be replaced !

SPR

I know everyone likes pictures so here’s a group of full tank shots from the very start of the adventure up to date

Its quiet a dramatic change since the system was set up in June 2016

You can also see the decline in the patches of green star polyps in the final few shots, after they were savaged by the asterina starfish, but since the addition of 2 harlequin shrimps, the colonies are starting to recover nicely

IMG_2353.jpgIMG_2358.jpgIMG_2754.jpgIMG_0348.jpgIMG_0870.jpgIMG_0879.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1767.jpg7518888448_IMG_0543.jpg10803606992_IMG_3206.jpg