Pocillopora or no?

Pomacanthidae

I am just starting to enter the SPS world, and I'm looking at some blue pocillopora my LFS has, but I don't know If I should be jumping in to this yet. My lighting, flow, and parameters are good enough to keep hydnophora exesa alive, so does pocillopora have similar requirements? The only things that concern me with this are lighting, and the fact that I got a black sailfin blenny that didn't survive acclimation, and could've caused ammonia. I will test and treat this if so, but do you think I should jump in or hold my horses?

DaveK

Most SPS corals have high light requirements. Before you get any SPS corals make sure you have excellent lighting. Make sure your tank is very stable without algae and similar issues.

I'd say hold off for now, but if your still going to try SPS, get a single coral and see that it does well before you get a lot of them.

Uncle99

Not sure I would use the survival of one type to qualify all 8 parameters are stable and on point. Even a small change in ALK can peel the skin off any SPS. I would measure and keep record of all 8 majors and once they stay stable for 3 months or more, then add what you want.

Light must be intense, and in the correct colour spectrum, along with the perfect, nutrient poor water.

Pomacanthidae

Hydnophora is an SPS, and i've gotten it to grow, so my lighting is good enough for that at least, and my nitrates have been at 5-0 ppm over the past month, and my alkalinity has stayed between 7.2-8 DKH. The hydnophora is a bit dull in coloration, which means my lighting isn't the best, but it has good polyp extension, and pocillopora are pretty adaptable corals that should be able to adjust to my lighting.

Pomacanthidae

Most SPS corals have high light requirements. Before you get any SPS corals make sure you have excellent lighting. Make sure your tank is very stable without algae and similar issues.

I'd say hold off for now, but if your still going to try SPS, get a single coral and see that it does well before you get a lot of them.
just saying, the "high lighting" SPS is basically just a code word for acropora, and most need moderate to high, or even low lighting, such as astreopora and the yellow morphs of seriatopora.