Favorite phosphate test kit

vsiege

I'm in the market for a new phosphate test kit. I wanted to get a feel for what people are currently using. The Hanna kit crossed my mind but after reading reviews, i noticed a lot of people complaining about the pain of getting all of the regent into the tube. Is that your experience to? What's your favorite kit? Many thanks.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I’ve used Red Sea Pro and now use the Hanna ULR phosphate version

As far as the reagent goes, all I can say is you get used to it. Just get some scissors and cut along the lines of the little sachet, and tip it in. Maybe shake the sachet before cutting as well.

It’s not difficult although I can see the potential issues people sometimes have.

The test is easy to do and has a digital read out

It’s personal preference at the end of the day and the Hanna isn’t cheap. I’m currently favouring NYOS on some tests as well after trying the Nitrate version

vsiege

Thanks all. Sounds like some great options. I'm pretty patient with things, so i think i can handle getting all the regent into the vile as It sounds like you've had success doing so. All the best.

Last edited:

Uncle99

If cost becomes a barrier, the Salifert Kit is less than half the cost, does twice as many test per unit, super fast, and is fairly easy to do the colour match with their sliding chart. I my case, a mixed reef, I only need to ensure phosphate is less than .1 so while I do have the Hanna, I use only once a month to check the prior three weeks of the Salifert.

If I was running ULN, then Hanna is required and use the ULP version which is a finer measurement.

The Hanna phosphate kit has a margin of error of 4 points, so even when it shows me a .04 that could be .08 (thus why Salifert in some cases makes more sense)

vsiege

If cost becomes a barrier, the Salifert Kit is less than half the cost, does twice as many test per unit, super fast, and is fairly easy to do the colour match with their sliding chart. I my case, a mixed reef, I only need to ensure phosphate is less than .1 so while I do have the Hanna, I use only once a month to check the prior three weeks of the Salifert.

If I was running ULN, then Hanna is required and use the ULP version which is a finer measurement.

The Hanna phosphate kit has a margin of error of 4 points, so even when it shows me a .04 that could be .08 (thus why Salifert in some cases makes more sense)
Thanks for your feedback. I run a 37 gallon with softies and a couple fish. I have HOB skimmer and filter. The skimmer is a reef octopus 1000, rated for a much larger aqurium, >78 gallons. I suspect I've had phosphate issues for some time and probably need a GFO reactor (cyno is present). Whichever solution gives me the best insight to help, I'm ok to spend the money on. Thanks again for offering your firsthand experience.

Uncle99

Phosphate gets in by things we add especially foods and hands.
Example, be wary of dry foods who either do not post contents or phosphates is high.
I rinse every cube of frozen, just feed the Mysis not the juice.
Check level of phosphate in your water, that's a source as well. Your TDS must be under 3ppm before mixing, then mix, deploy within 24 hours
Best GFO so far is RowaPhos, but not cheap
Keep phosphate under .05 ish, limit lights, cyno is normal, just do a round of red slime remove, lower phosphates going in, lower going out through water changes......keep flow up......vacuum as much as possible