Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

I did say I was not going to add any more fish....however, yesterday, by sheer chance, I found myself in a fish shop. Just to get some supplies you understand......and my eyes fell on this lovely chap below. What sort of Wrasse is it? I think it may be a Dusky Wrasse, but I'm not sure.

I may have to take him home. He has a lovely tail.

wrasse.jpg

Pancho75

Get him!!! Beautiful fish. Your wrasse crop is only going to better even if you have one of the nicest wrasses crop in RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Get him!!! Beautiful fish. Your wrasse crop is only going to better even if you have one of the nicest wrasses crop in RS.

I haven't got him....yet. I've had a 'car problem' since Sunday so I haven't been able to get anywhere near the LFS. As soon as I'm mobile again though...........

Nobbygas

Gggrrrrr....Aipstasia!
I've done everything I can to avoid having this stuff in the tank, but as we all know it's virtually impossible to keep it out.
First there was one, and that was royally zapped with Aipstasia X. That'll learn him, I thought.
Then two more appeared, and they were zapped. Then three, four, five...all zapped. Now there are even more and they appear to be growing at an ever faster rate !
In the past, in my smaller tanks, I've used a Filefish, and that worked, so I think I will get one for this tank.

Reactions: SPR

Pancho75

Gggrrrrr....Aipstasia!
I've done everything I can to avoid having this stuff in the tank, but as we all know it's virtually impossible to keep it out.
First there was one, and that was royally zapped with Aipstasia X. That'll learn him, I thought.
Then two more appeared, and they were zapped. Then three, four, five...all zapped. Now there are even more and they appear to be growing at an ever faster rate !
In the past, in my smaller tanks, I've used a Filefish, and that worked, so I think I will get one for this tank.
Kill, kill, kill!!! Zero aiptasia tolerance I hate them, they kill corals and look awful. I battled aiptasias in my old nano, tried everything and failed until I got a matted filefish. He wiped out the whole tank in 2 weeks. The downturn was he eat my zoas hahaha but it was worthwhile.

SPR

Gggrrrrr....Aipstasia!
I have used Red Sea Aiptasia X which works as long as you get the timing write, and for long term control I added 3 peppermint shrimps and I don’t have any Aiptasia anymore, or at least that I can see.

There are still some on the inside of the overflow coombs (when I looked last time!), were the shrimps cant get them. It’s amazing how life adapts....

Nobbygas

I've got the week off work next week, and Mini Me MKII is going on a Tennis Coaching Week, so I have a few hours every day to kill.
First off, I am going to do a water change! Not that I want to do a water change, but it's that I'll have the time to give the Sump a good clean, so I'll scoop out all the crap & gunk that has built up, ditch the water and just replace it with new stuff. First water change since January.
Then I shall zap the Aipstasia that I can see (or reach). I'll also get some Peppermint Shrimps to see if they can get rid of it. If they don't do it I'll later go for a Filefish. I know the Filefish will do the job but I worry about what other stuff he'll eat ! First though, the Peppermints.
Then I'll strip down the Skimmer for a good ole Dhobi !
Clean Circulation pumps.
Clean Return pump.
Clean pumps that feed the Chiller and UV.
Clean Weir Combs and Water Outlet Covers.

The system will be sparkling this time next week !

Pancho75

Hey that is a pretty deep cleaning and a good way to check your system as well, you should stop by my house and repeat it on my S-500??? LOL...

I can’t blame you for trying the peppermint shrimps first, the filefish does a great job eating aiptasia but some corals will also pay a price. Well in my case were the zoas but the came back by themselves once I took out the filefish.

SPR

These days I try and not break my back to much when doing maintenance and making it a tedious job.

I usually do one thing, like swapping the main pump out, changing the rhowaphos but usually just one or two things and then it becomes much easier. Although I appreciate it depends how much time you have etc. I still haven’t cleaned the rear circulation pumps since last October, but as there are 4, and they are not majorly critical, I think I’ll wait until one stops, or I go mad like today when it’s raining!

My water change schedule is now around once a month and mainly just to keep the sump reasonably clean, but I think the system now can cope with few water changes

Did you add the Matrix yet ?

ssagar

I've got the week off work next week, and Mini Me MKII is going on a Tennis Coaching Week, so I have a few hours every day to kill.
First off, I am going to do a water change! Not that I want to do a water change, but it's that I'll have the time to give the Sump a good clean, so I'll scoop out all the crap & gunk that has built up, ditch the water and just replace it with new stuff. First water change since January.
Then I shall zap the Aipstasia that I can see (or reach). I'll also get some Peppermint Shrimps to see if they can get rid of it. If they don't do it I'll later go for a Filefish. I know the Filefish will do the job but I worry about what other stuff he'll eat ! First though, the Peppermints.
Then I'll strip down the Skimmer for a good ole Dhobi !
Clean Circulation pumps.
Clean Return pump.
Clean pumps that feed the Chiller and UV.
Clean Weir Combs and Water Outlet Covers.

The system will be sparkling this time next week !
Have you ever tried scats?? They are brackish water fish but can be live is full marine environment, will eat apistasia and completely reef safe.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Pancho75

Just to show how bloody minded the Anemone is.......

First shot is the view of it through the rocks from the front of the tank

View attachment 48616

This second shot is the view from the side of the tank...

View attachment 48617

As you can see, hardly the ideal viewing position ! Meanwhile, one of the Clowns has returned to the Torch ! It is the Male and it looks as though he is not allowed near the Anemone by the Female.
I think they just have a domestic! hahaha as always the male was kicked out LOL....

Would it be possible to turn the rock to keep the anemone in its place but in front?

Nobbygas

Circulation pumps removed, disassembled, cleaned and put back. Same for Return Pump and Skimmer. Sump cleaned out. 90 litres of water replaced. Loads of other stuff cleaned. I am now officially knackered. There is a noticeable improvement in flow. Three fish have high-fived me.

Meanwhile, I added to the CUC with more snails. I also added three Peppermint Shrimp, but I haven't seen them since. That may have been a wasted 60 euros!

SPR

Circulation pumps removed, disassembled, cleaned and put back. Same for Return Pump and Skimmer. Sump cleaned out. 90 litres of water replaced. Loads of other stuff cleaned. I am now officially knackered. There is a noticeable improvement in flow. Three fish have high-fived me.

Meanwhile, I added to the CUC with more snails. I also added three Peppermint Shrimp, but I haven't seen them since. That may have been a wasted 60 euros!
The peppermints only tend to come out at night time.

I sometimes come down and see them prancing around the tank in the early hours.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning the rear pumps but it’s just a pain to reach them balancing on steps.

Nobbygas

The peppermints only tend to come out at night time.

I sometimes come down and see them prancing around the tank in the early hours.

I wouldn’t mind cleaning the rear pumps but it’s just a pain to reach them balancing on steps.
Are you a short-arse? It's pretty easy to do.

SPR

Are you a short-arse? It's pretty easy to do.
I think its actually because the tank has a cupboard on the left of it (with fish stuff and wires) and a fireplace the other side both of which stick out about 10 inches so its just a little more awkward than it would normally be.

I 'might' do the rear pumps tomorrow as its forecast misery with the weather and I don't think im going to go and hit my little white balls around scattering them far and wide! But i might not as their currently working!

An no i'm 6'4 with big arms (and fists!) lol

Nobbygas

I think its actually because the tank has a cupboard on the left of it (with fish stuff and wires) and a fireplace the other side both of which stick out about 10 inches so its just a little more awkward than it would normally be.

I 'might' do the rear pumps tomorrow as its forecast misery with the weather and I don't think im going to go and hit my little white balls around scattering them far and wide! But i might not as their currently working!

An no i'm 6'4 with big arms (and fists!) lol
Do it while you have the time, otherwise you just know what will happen. You'll just be getting the tank ready for another one of your trips away. Just one last water change (or something) and one or two of the pumps will not restart. You'll be short of time, panicking, and just giving yourself stress.
Take two out, strip them down and put them in a bucket of water/vinegar mix. Leave for just one hour (have a cup of tea while you wait). Take them out, wash the bits through, re-assemble and then just run the pumps in the water/vinegar mixture for about ten minutes. Rinse them through again and put them back in the tank. Repeat for the other two. This means you always have some circulation going on.

Oh, and I've added the one litre of the magical Seachem Matrix. Too early to say if anything is happening.

Nobbygas

I've not had a good week. First off, the three Peppermint Shrimp I added have not appeared, anywhere. Normally, when you add shrimp, they moult in the first couple of days, but I've seen nothing of them. No dead skin, nowt ! I know Peppermint can hide, and some only come out at night, but even then I've seen nothing. I am assuming that they've been chomped by someone, and it wasn't me !

Next, I've had a poorly Tomini Tang. He had some sort of infection (bacterial, fungal??). I tried mixing Kanaplex into the food. I wasn't that worried as this had worked a while ago when one of the Triggers had an infection around his mouth. Kanaplex cleared that up very quickly and now he's as handsome as ever. The Tomini had whitish coverings and his fins were damaged. He looked pretty bad, but he was swimming and eating as normal. There were no signs of lethargy, or heavy breathing. He wasn't hiding or rubbing against rocks. He was acting normal apart from his looks. So yesterday, I went into the LFS to see if I could get something else to treat him with, and I found something (off the top of my head I cannot remember it's name/manufacturer), but it contained stuff like Malachite Green and was reef safe. However, when I got home, he had passed. No other fish appear to be affected. Everyone looks normal and healthy. It wasn't Ich or Velvet that's for sure.

I wasn't able to get him out to treat separately, because as soon as my hand, or net, enters the tank, all the fish just disappear into the rocks ! Even with the fish trap he never showed any interest in going into it. Plus, I wasn't that worried as he appeared to be normal. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye open on the rest to ensure it is not spreading, and I'm ready with my new medicine.

SPR

I've not had a good week. First off, the three Peppermint Shrimp I added have not appeared, anywhere. Normally, when you add shrimp, they moult in the first couple of days, but I've seen nothing of them. No dead skin, nowt ! I know Peppermint can hide, and some only come out at night, but even then I've seen nothing. I am assuming that they've been chomped by someone, and it wasn't me !

Next, I've had a poorly Tomini Tang. He had some sort of infection (bacterial, fungal??). I tried mixing Kanaplex into the food. I wasn't that worried as this had worked a while ago when one of the Triggers had an infection around his mouth. Kanaplex cleared that up very quickly and now he's as handsome as ever. The Tomini had whitish coverings and his fins were damaged. He looked pretty bad, but he was swimming and eating as normal. There were no signs of lethargy, or heavy breathing. He wasn't hiding or rubbing against rocks. He was acting normal apart from his looks. So yesterday, I went into the LFS to see if I could get something else to treat him with, and I found something (off the top of my head I cannot remember it's name/manufacturer), but it contained stuff like Malachite Green and was reef safe. However, when I got home, he had passed. No other fish appear to be affected. Everyone looks normal and healthy. It wasn't Ich or Velvet that's for sure.

I wasn't able to get him out to treat separately, because as soon as my hand, or net, enters the tank, all the fish just disappear into the rocks ! Even with the fish trap he never showed any interest in going into it. Plus, I wasn't that worried as he appeared to be normal. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye open on the rest to ensure it is not spreading, and I'm ready with my new medicine.
I hope it all works out ok with the fish.

You might need to look at the tank in the early hours to see the Peppermint shrimps, I did anyway.