Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

The Orange Spotted tends to release low. There is no sprinkling of sand over the rocks/corals. As well as getting food from the sand mine also feeds on frozen or flake food.

Nobbygas

I must mention my Clowns. Previously I had mentioned that I had an Anemone, but they seem to be one of those corals that I just cannot grow, and it died. Now, the Clowns are desperately trying to get a Torch to host them. However, the Torch says 'NO'. The Clowns are in a bit of a state with marks all over them, black patches, white patches etc. Basically, they are being stung to death by the Torch ! They look a right pitful pair, but they just won't give up !
Apart from the obvious marks they are healthy and eating, but they just look as though they've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson !

Pancho75

LOL... Clowns are stubborn and brave! you should give us some pictures to see how the do with Mike Tyson aka Torch Coral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho75

Haha... my clowns are between dumbs and crazy brave. They are the only fishes in the tank to actually attack me when I put my hand in the tank!!! those ungratefully $&@%, they bite (it can hurt in between the fingers) and “harass” my hands as I accommodate new frags or clean.

Nobbygas

I've mentioned on here before about the high prices of corals here in Germany. Well, last week I stumbled across a lady (not literally) who had decided to make a bit of money from her hobby, and she sells really cheap corals. So, off I went to her place on Saturday. She had a lot of frags for sale. No fish at all, just corals. I managed to get a Florida Ricordia Blue for seven euros. That would normally cost me 25 euros. A nice bunch of Zoas for 20 euros (normal price 45 euros), and I went for a gamble....a Red Anemone. I manged to get one for 15 euros, which would normally set me back 70 euros from a regular shop. Now, I know I have had problems keeping them alive, but I thought for 15 euros it was worth trying again ! I also got a nice Blue Stylophora with about six 'fingers' for 15 euro. At those prices I was almost skipping down the road afterwards !
So, off to home I go, and eventually I place the new corals in the tank. The main problem being, of course, the Anemone. I decided to place it away from the Red Gonipora, (centre of the tank) because I think the last one was killed by the Gonipora. I didn't want to place it in the end with the Torches and Galaxia, as that would be inviting trouble, so I carefully placed it at the safe end. Nothing much around it to cause any problems, with good flow and light......and there it sat........until lights out......until I got up on Sunday morning to find it had moved about thirty centimetres. It must have detached and floated in the flow to have moved so far, across an open space of sand. It is now at the back of my rock structure. From the front of the tank you can just see a few tentacles, and from one side of the tank, if you lean over, hop on one foot and squint really hard, you can also see it. The best laid plans of mice and men eh ! I'm now hoping it decides to move a bit more.
The other reason for the Anemone is an attempt at getting it to host the clowns, and then maybe they will not look like the tramps of the tank !

Pancho75

I have always wanted to have a green or yellow anemone for my clowns, please keep letting us know how your anemone does.

Nobbygas

The next task was to let the Clowns know that the Anemone was there ! It was about 50cm away from where they were having their Sado-Masochistic episode with the Torch.
So, risking life and limb, I reached into the tank and picked up the Torch. No problems doing this as it is still not stuck down. As the Clowns attacked my hand like two starving Piranha, I slowly moved it and placed it near the Anemone. This confused the little buggers ! They were frantically swimming around the empty space where the Torch used to be sat. As time went on, it was obvious that these particular Clowns were at the back of the queue when brains were handed out as they refused to leave the empty space. There was nothing left to do but to deploy 'the net' Oh yes, we all know that the only thing our fish ever recognise is a net. As soon as it enters the water they all disappear ! So, using the net I 'herded' the Clowns away from the fascinating empty space towards where the Anemone was now sitting. Well, one look at those tempting sexy red tentacles, and they were hooked ! You could almost hear the screams and squeals as they dived into the Anemone ! With that I returned the Torch to it's original spot and all was sweetness and light in the tank again.
Hopefully their stung, tatty and blotched bodies will soon recover.

Pancho75

LOL!!! I guess clowns are indeed not so smart. We are glad you got to keep your life after moving the torch hahaha. Good to know everything workout for you.

Nobbygas

Just to show how bloody minded the Anemone is.......

First shot is the view of it through the rocks from the front of the tank

an2.jpg

This second shot is the view from the side of the tank...

an1.jpg

As you can see, hardly the ideal viewing position ! Meanwhile, one of the Clowns has returned to the Torch ! It is the Male and it looks as though he is not allowed near the Anemone by the Female.