Other hobbies

Choff

Very cool Al!

Now I gotta ask about that disclaimer. I get the airport thing, but what's the deal with line of site, 400' and daylight? Anti peeping laws??

...stupid auto correct

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very cool Al!

Now I gotta ask about that disclaimer. I get the airport thing, but what's the deal with line of site, 400' and daylight? Anti peeping laws??

...stupid auto correct

It's all about the FAA. We've always flown with some form of those rules but with the ability for anyone to run out, buy a similar quad and be flying in an hour there is a whole new rash of inexperienced and unknowledgeable pilots buzzing the sky. Before the latest "computer/gyro" assisted aircraft you actually have to learn to fly in order to be able to fly. Today not so much at all and in fact some models you could literally have a small child flying in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately they are breaking our long standing rules of:
  • Line of Sight Only
  • Below 400'AGL (civilian aviation is allowed down to 500'AGL so this gives a 100' buffer zone)
  • Used to be 3 miles of airport but recently bumped up to 5 miles.
  • Daylight flights only

The disclaimer in just in case Big Brother is watching (And you can bet on it) and they are interested to know if I am busting regulations or not. I'm definitely NOT busting any regs and have the GPS/Altimeter data to back this up. Just being safe :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
BigAl thats very cool. Are you using something like a GoPro and a remote helicopter? or remote plane?

I'm using a multirotor UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) or UAS(Unmanned Aerial System) depending on who/where you're talking. This particular one is a QuadCopter (4 rotors) and I'm using a gimal stabilized CGO1 camera. It's basically a GoPro built and designed for aerial photography from this platform. I plan to get a new GoPro and try it as well. The main drawback to GoPro is I can't use it LIVE like I can the CGO1. While I'm flying the Quad I have my phone attached to my radio control and I'm seeing exactly what the quad is seeing. I cant start/stop video recording and initial still shots while in the air all from my phone.

(PS I intentionally did not use the "D" word in describing my aerial vehicle).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
something like this Allen?

61x8yJcesfL._SL1183_.jpg

StirCrayzy

I love fixing & building stuff in general, but Cars especially.

Hunting, shooting
Fishing
Camping
Hockey
Flying my RC helis

saintsreturn

This is a cool thread!

In no particular order... Diving, mnt bking, camp gladiator, fishing, kayaking, kayak fishing, grilling, cigars and golf.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey Allen great to see you back on RS ! What's new ? Ready to get back in the game?

New? Oh my a lot LOL! I turned my hobby (R/C aircraft) into a business and now fly about 20hrs a week (or more) and make $$ doing it.

Yea I'm hoping to get a new tank for our home. We built a new home 4 years ago.I took down my RSM130D during the build and never set it up again. I'm now in the market for a new "System" and once again looking at maybe another RS system.

Also I became a "Bee Keeper" or "Bee Geek/Beek" since last here. Bee Keeping is a lot like having an aquarium the size of a county LOL! It's a lot of work but also very therapeutic at the same time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I love honey ! but I hate being stung :rolleyes: look forward to seeing whatever new tank you get ! :clink:

I'm (or I used to be) allergic to the honey bee sting but it appears I've "grown out of it" over the last few years. I've been hospitalized in my early days because of it but over the last couple of years I've been stung several times and had no unusual effects that the normal person has. Also I remember the stings being a LOT more painful than they really are LOL. I get stung every few weeks and it's really no big deal any more. I still don't LIKE it but it's fairly common any more.

I was in my hives yesterday and pulled a couple of spoons of fresh (I mean VERY fresh) honey out to eat. I eat at least one table spoon of honey every day. :)

Yea I'm a bit over whelmed by all the new tanks and features. It's going to be interested sorting through all of this LOL.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heres the new toy thats been distracting me from summer tank duties.
I sold my Jeep because i cant cram enough kids in(legally) and needed to cure my off road itch. Not my video, but the truck is the same. 1/10 scale.

That's awesome. Loved the video.

If I can find the right one, I'm going to buy a Bronco just like the one below:

1236315-2-large.jpg

Paul B

I also like woodworking. I built this barn wall in our bedroom out of dumpster pallet wood. The barn doors work.

LPS_Blasto

I used to fly RC planes. I sold them all in 2014. The hobby changed drastically with the advent of brushless electric motors and lipo batteries. Also, around 2005--2008 a new generation of "entitled brats" entered the hobby and turned it into a whiney snowflake fest. All my friends got out of the hobby at that point.

I started flying big gasoline powered planes around 2001 or 2002. They were 50cc up to 100cc. Tons of fun, but very expensive. Usually about $2,500--$3,000 for a 50cc plane. Pushing $5k - $6k for a 100cc plane. I had ...... several.

In July 2014 I sold them all and turned the cash into firearms.

1claire

I love taking good care of my daughter, is that hobby?
We play every day, walk our dog to the park, watch animated movies/show, feed the fish, and more. :celebrate: