Modified canister filter

SQUEEKERradio

Dont kill me right away.

Ok so when I bought my redsea max 250 he had a 301 fluval canister filter running on it which i got for free,

I haven't used it since buying tank.

NOW thoughts why cant I clean and modify the canister filter and run it as an algae reactor, so internally would be just 2 filter pads and LEDs to grow macro algae to lower nitrate and phosphate.

I dont think I can run a sump as cant drill my tank and internal reactors can only be a max of 3.5inch wide so not big at all, so if I can use the canister filter as an external reactor it would be a nice large volume and conveniently out of the way.

Thought???

Uncle99

To small IMO to make a difference in the DT.
Growing algae (to pull phosphates) needs to be in sizable quantities so it can mop up the nutrients and outcompete the DT.

DaveK

Perhaps a better question is, do you have an algae problem to begin with, and if so what have you already tried?

I agree with @Uncle99 about the size of a canister filter for use as an algae reactor. However, you could use the canister filter with various chemical media such as GFO to remove phosphates. That would give you much better results than trying to use it as an algae reactor.

All that being said, you really don't need to do anything at all in your not having a problem.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If interested.... uses a Lifereef RSM 250 overflow

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/anyone-use-a-sump-on-thier-rsm-250.53344/

IMG_4753.jpg

SQUEEKERradio

Unfortunately yes I have got some algae in the tank, was due to my mother putting tap water into tank instead of RO while I was in hospital.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This does not require a drilled tank ... several RS members with RSM tanks use them...

http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

WHY RISK A BUSTED TANK DRILLING NOT ONE, TWO, BUT SOMETIMES THREE OR MORE HOLES?

Simply hang a Lifereef Prefilter Box (or two) on your aquarium and you can rest for the rest of your time in this hobby not wondering when your drilled tank may break. And with those powerful in-tank current makers, these add more stress as the waves/currents bash the aquariums glass panels.

FEATURES OF ALL THE LIFEREEF PREFILTER SIPHON BOX DESIGNS:

• THICKER AND STRONGER ACRYLIC for better joint ingetrity
  • STRONG ONE-PIECE BENT "BACKBONE" DESIGN INSTEAD OF GLUED PIECES
  • BONDED OUTPUT FITTING WITH A HOSEBARB CONNECTION OR OPTIONAL VACUUM HOSE CONNECTOR, gasket bulkheads will leak
  • TRUE MAXIMUM WATER FLOW VELOCITY OR GPH
  • REMOVABLE SIPHON TUBE THAT CAN BE CLEANED, siphon wall prefilters require the entire unit removed and you still can't clean the siphon area.
  • INNER BOX ADJUSTABLE UP/DOWN AND LOCKED INTO A VERTICAL POSITION SO IT CANNOT BE KNOCKED SIDEWAYS, others can tilt, BAD!
  • MANY MORE SLOTS/TEETH MEANING LESS WATER NEEDED FROM SUMP TO MAINTAIN FLOW RATE AND LESS DRAINDOWN WHEN POWER GOES OUT OR IS SHUT OFF.
  • REINFORCED WHERE STRESS IS THE GREATEST
  • ALIGNMENT TAB/SCREW SO BOX CAN BE ADJUSTED PARALLEL WITH THE AQUARIUM
  • INNER BOX CAN BE ADJUSTED UP/DOWN INDEPENDENT OF THE OUTER BOX WITHOUT HAVING TO RAISE THE ENTIRE PREFILTER AS IN "TUBELESS" DESIGNS
  • SIPHON TUBE WILL NOT LOSE WATER WHEN POWER GOES OUT
  • CLEAR SIPHON TUBE FOR VISUAL SAFETY. Smoke or black siphon tubes block critical view of this area and when it needs to be cleaned.
  • SIPHON WILL RESUME WATER FLOW WHEN POWER COMES BACK ON, not one failure in 30 years.
  • DOES NOT RELY ON ANOTHER CHEAP PRODUCT FOR SAFE OPERATION
  • OPTIONAL SILENCER AVAILABLE FOR PREFILTERS THAT MAY EXHIBIT NOISE.
  • ALL CORNERS AND EDGES RADIUSED TO PREVENT FISH DAMAGE, FLAME-POLISHING (AS OTHERS) LEAVES SHARP EDGES
  • CUSTOM SIZES CAN BE MADE FOR WIDE RIMS. LARGEST TO DATE WAS FOR AN AQUARIUM WITH A 12" RIM SPAN.
  • CUSTOM DEPTHS CAN BE MADE FOR AQUARIUMS WHERE THE WATER LEVEL IS MANY INCHES BELOW THE RIM
  • MADE FOR EURO-BRACE RIMS, RED SEA MAX AQUARIUMS, BIO-CUBE AQUARIUMS, ANY AQUARIUM CAN USE A LIFEREEF PREFILTER BOX

StirCrayzy

Algae scrubbers are awesome control methods, but the most efficient ones need a good amount of airflow to maximize growth and provide algae an ideal habitat. Sadly a canister will not give you that advantage.
+1 to dave, cans are better as media reactors, and there are tons of media options.