Red Sea Ozone Deluxe setup in RSM250

Hi all,
I'm planning to buy a Red Sea ozone deluxe to install in my RSM250, but I'm afraid to install it on RSM250 cabinet and the silicon pipe bring water back to the equipment by gravity if energy issues happen. Do you guys can help me in how to solve this situation? Does anyone already tried or have the same idea than me?
I was thinking in buy a anti Flow valve (acrylic valve) but I don't know this will help/fix this cause.

Thanks and hope hear back from y'all.

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

Save your money and don't get involved with ozone. It's of somewhat limited value in a SW reef system, since it tends to kill things in the water column that you want. There may be a few very specific cases where ozone if desirable, but they are few and far between.

Over the years I have used ozone on my system in various ways, and speaking from experience, your much more likely to do a lot more harm than good.

The bottom line is that by not using ozone, you solve all the other possible issues you can run in to.

Thanks DaveK.
Here in Brazil ozone is back to the trends u know... a lot of people talking about it, using it and buying most of those, Chinese ones... and I was thinking about it too, buy the RedSea ozone deluxe. I will wait for more user that already set up this particular one in a Red Sea max250 cabinet.

Thank you!

DaveK

More to the point, why do you want to run ozone on you system? In other words, what problems do you have that you expect ozone to solve?

Hi DaveK,
I'm looking for crystal clear water and maybe, avoid parasites.

I put my skimmer back to RSM250 and I really really hate this skimmer.
Overheating pump (20W? NOWAY), micro bubbles and water level issues to get skimmer working well.

But I already had the RedSea Ozone Deluxe and I will try it into the skimmer bubble chamber.

If this doesn't work, I will get back to old school style.
No Skimmer, Media Basket InTank with GFO, Silicate Clear and Chaeto algae with 3w LED refugium light.

SPR

I looked into ozone myself a few times over the last year or so, and as far as can ascertain you can’t buy the Red Sea Ozone delux anywhere in the UK from what I’ve seen. It may show but looks like old pictures but maybe Brazil is different

I read up on ozone after my LFS offered a device and said they had to come out and set it up with a metered dose so that it was correctly set.

I then found out that the reason for this is that it can kill you as well and anything else if not done correctly

The following article focused my mind especially the bit in Red a few pages down

I decided on a UV-C as a safer option!

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

In summary myself and my family are more important than killing a few bugs!

Last edited:

DaveK

If your going to use ozone, here are links to additional articles mentioned by @SPR -
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php#14
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php#14

Note the use of GAC to filter the air from the ozone reaction chamber and to filter the water from the reaction chamber. This is critical.

Pay especially close attention to the sections on Ozone's Safety to Humans and Ozone's Saftety to the Aquarium. Incorrectly used, ozone can result in a tank of very dead livestock. It can also be harmful to you.

Hi all,
Long time no posting in here.

But I would like to share my opinion about Ozone in reef tanks.

I'm using since Sep, 15th and my water is unbelievably cristal clear. But I need to share the negative points too.

Ozone didn't kill algae (including the macro that I'm using in the sump).
Ozone didn't kill any of parasite or diseases as Ick or RTN cuz I have 2 friends that has ozone in their tanks and unfortunately they faced issues like that without success applying ozone.

And all of them are using ORP probe and 300 to 400Vm for more than 6 months.
So, my point of view about ozone is:

If you just want to see your tank with a cristal clear water, go ahead otherwise Ozone will not resolve issues about algae, disease. If you are ok with UV-C sterilizer or changing every month the Activated Carbon, don't waste your money on this.

Thank you!

DaveK

That's about right. Ozone will give you crystal clear water, but at a price. You may not want the water quite so clear, because all those small particles are often food to other things in the tank.

It is possible to use ozone to kill certain diseases, and algae, but your really walking a fine line here. It's also very easy to wipe out your entire tank. I sure don't recommend ozone for this.

I'm sure we will see ozone come and go a few more times over the years.