Need thoughts on stock for 125

Parker griffin

I have a sw 125g tank, I have a porcupine puffer, snowflake eel, magnificent metallic fox face, panther grouper, and a clown. I’m looking for one more fish to complete my tank. I am looking for something larger like a queen or emperor angle, but I know they get a little too big for the tank, or would they be fine? I want to know your thoughts on what I should put in it. Pls help :)

DaveK

Of the large angles, from a size stand point, you could consider a rock beauty angel or a regal angel. However, I'd rate a rock beauty as extremely difficult to keep, and a regal as very difficult to keep. This is mostly due to the feeding requirements. I wouldn't recommend them to any but the most experienced reef keepers.

You could also consider one of the dwarf angles. Lots of possible selections there.

Many angles are not considered reef safe, so if your into corals and such, they may not be the best choice. Carefully check the individual species your looking at.

You could also consider some of the various butterfly fish. Great looking fish, but most are not reef safe.

That should give you a start, but there are many other good choices, depending upon the direction you want to take the tank.

Parker griffin

Thank you very much for replying DaveK and nanoreefing4fun! I see your point in that they like to nip at corals, I have looked up the fish and read about it but I didn’t know if it was very common, I think I was just crossing my fingers and hoping that it would work out but probably not. I have some soft corals and quite enjoy them and put some money into them. I’ve only had the tank for about a year and a half, so I wouldn’t consider myself super experienced. Probably like intermittent. I know this is also probably out of the question, but do you think maybe that I could fit a marble cat shark in there? I don’t have very much stalk and they do take a while to reach their full 24” and by then I hope to have a new tank, or is that just inhuman to do? Pls let me now

DaveK

I would say the most large angles will eat soft corals. You do have a good chance ot some species of the dwarf angles working out, but there is always a chance of getting an individual that tears right into the soft corals. If you try one, have a plan just in case the fish doesn't work out.

As for any species of shark, they need enough room so they can turn themselves around. Most shark species need to swim all the time. This is why you often see sharks in public aquariums in large circular tanks. Typically you need about 1 1/2 to 2 times the length of the shark so it can turn around. You need this in both directions, front to back and side to side. That works out to a several hundred gallon tank. Unless your prepared to provide a tank this size, forget about keeping a shark. Also, a shark would be almost impossible to rehome. Just about no one wants one.

Parker griffin

I would say the most large angles will eat soft corals. You do have a good chance ot some species of the dwarf angles working out, but there is always a chance of getting an individual that tears right into the soft corals. If you try one, have a plan just in case the fish doesn't work out.

As for any species of shark, they need enough room so they can turn themselves around. Most shark species need to swim all the time. This is why you often see sharks in public aquariums in large circular tanks. Typically you need about 1 1/2 to 2 times the length of the shark so it can turn around. You need this in both directions, front to back and side to side. That works out to a several hundred gallon tank. Unless your prepared to provide a tank this size, forget about keeping a shark. Also, a shark would be almost impossible to rehome. Just about no one wants one.

Parker griffin

I understand that, it makes sense. Would you think that a harlequin husk would be a good fish or are there any red herrings I should know about

DaveK

A harlequin tusk is a good fish, but the will eat any snails, hermit crabs, or shrimp you have.

Parker griffin

Well I have a porcupine so I already have that problem down. Thank you I think that is what I’ll go for and maybe a regal angle too