Trying to Rejuvenate my RSM 130

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
bristleworms - good members of the clean up crew, they can get back in the rocks to eat, where snails can't reach... think of them like earthworms of the sea - their numbers will rise & fall depending on how much you overfeed.

Uncle99

What I see is half way (ish) certainly not 0.25, but then again, not quite 0.
So taking into account a margin of error....0.05-0.10.....
The again it's just a pic, maybe the colour is slightly different in real time.

jonathan marmer

Picked up some Aquavitro Calcification too boost my calcium, doing a great job so far.

I have noticed that my skimmer is picking up a red liquid, any thoughts?

Also, i added an Algone Carbon and a filter floss on top of my skimmer intake.

so my current filteration set up is as follows:

by my skimmer i have the filter floss on top, then the Algone Carbon bag, then the red sea black mechanical sponge on the bottom on top of the skimmer.

in the back right side of the tank, by my output, i hung a purechem elite so it sits under the intake pump that pushes the water into the aquarium. Is my filteration setup ok?

i have some micro bubles forming at the top, any idea where those are from?

jonathan marmer

Hey Everyone!

After much work my tank is finally rejuvenated and i started adding coral!!!

I bought a bubble tip anemone and some gsp and zoas.

Also got a truelumen actinic blue led strip to add some night lights along with a tunze 9002 skimmer and intank media rack.

only issue im having is the media rack doesnt fit so smoothly in the back right chamber, i really have to pull hard to get it out, is this normal???

Also, do people leave the black sponge in the bottom right chamber? or do they remove it once the media rack and skimmer is installed???

the skimmer isnt the best because im always adjusting the height for water tempatures, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be appreciated!

I'm also looking to add fish to my tank, i wanna get 2 clowns and not sure what else. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone and happy reefing!

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

jonathan marmer

Hey everyone!

My tank is doing great! (i hope) but i have been coming across a few discouraging bumps. i am having a bit of an issue with powerhead placement, and my tunze 9002 skimmer and algae issues.
As you can see in the pic, my algae has gotten kinda crazy and i need some advice. i have two Koralia powerheads, one nano 240 and one 425. Where should i place them in my tank to create the best movement? right now, the built in return pump is facing a little bit upwards creating a ripple in the surface. Can someone please help me with the 2 powerhead placements?

Also, with the tunze 9002 skimmer, i find that its not really working to great. the cup never really fills up. I think it's because the water level in the back chamber goes lower after 2 days. Can someone advise an optimal position for the skimmer or a plausible solution?

In my Intank media basket, i have as follow (from top to bottom):
Filter Floss (which i change every 3 days
ROWAPHOS PHOSPHATE REMOVER
Chemi-pure Blue

Any suggestions to remove/add to my media basket?

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to continue reefing and continuing with a successful tank!

1E1BFA01-1DE8-40EB-96B7-9CFF8804F11E.jpg

Pancho75

Hey everyone!

My tank is doing great! (i hope) but i have been coming across a few discouraging bumps. i am having a bit of an issue with powerhead placement, and my tunze 9002 skimmer and algae issues.
As you can see in the pic, my algae has gotten kinda crazy and i need some advice. i have two Koralia powerheads, one nano 240 and one 425. Where should i place them in my tank to create the best movement? right now, the built in return pump is facing a little bit upwards creating a ripple in the surface. Can someone please help me with the 2 powerhead placements?

Also, with the tunze 9002 skimmer, i find that its not really working to great. the cup never really fills up. I think it's because the water level in the back chamber goes lower after 2 days. Can someone advise an optimal position for the skimmer or a plausible solution?

In my Intank media basket, i have as follow (from top to bottom):
Filter Floss (which i change every 3 days
ROWAPHOS PHOSPHATE REMOVER
Chemi-pure Blue

Any suggestions to remove/add to my media basket?

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to continue reefing and continuing with a successful tank!
Hello Jonathan,
Do you have test results for your water? you have a lot of algae and it could come from nutrients and/or your photoperiod and/or can be your skimmer, if it is not working properly, it would allow nutrients to be build up in the tank even if your have filters. The photoperiod should not exceed 12 hours and depending on the light parameters I could be decreased up to 9 hours.

I would suggest you to test the water to understand what is the base level you have, quickly adjust the skimmer (sorry I have no experience with the Tunze 9002) in my case the cup is filled at least once a week. Are you over feeding the fishes?

I recommend you to remove all the algae from the tank walls and back, as you are noticing it can takeover the whole tank, coralline algae it is though to remove, without that algae your tank will look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: