130D skimmer that bad?

speaste

Hi guys,

Been out of the reef tank hobby for a good bit and just picked up a used 130D. I scrapped the rotten out stand and built a new piece of furniture for the tank to sit on.

Now that I’ve got that issue solved, I started to rebuild the tank. Here’s where my questions come up. I ordered and installed the upgraded circulation pump. No issues there right?

I ordered replacement media then found this forum and seems the bio noodles are crap. Dump them?

I can def see why folks buy the media shelves. If my tank was full of water (still empty) and I had to reach down that back sump to dig for noodles or carbon there’d be a mess everywhere for sure. So, i think I need to add the media shelf. This brings me to my next question....is the stock skimmer that bad? Do I really need to buy the 9001 and attach to a media shelf? Is there a media shelf that works with stock skimmer if skimmer isn’t really that bad?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics, even start up ones with just rock & sand.

They stock skimmer will work fine (IMO) they key is consistent water levers - topping off or ATO and playing with the gate height to get it tuned in...

the StevieT InTank media rack, won't fit with the stock skimmer, so many add the 9001 just so it will, but you don't have to have it to have a successful reef tank.

See what others advise...

DaveK

When it comes to something like this, give the stock skimmer a try and see how it works out. If it does, you just saved yourself a pile of money. If not, you will not be spending anymore than you would have anyway.

One thing you constantly see in the hobby is very subjective comments. For example, "the new skimmer works great". However, that doesn't really tell you anything because you don't know how much better it is compared to what was in place before.

NHJMC

Hi guys,

Been out of the reef tank hobby for a good bit and just picked up a used 130D. I scrapped the rotten out stand and built a new piece of furniture for the tank to sit on.

Now that I’ve got that issue solved, I started to rebuild the tank. Here’s where my questions come up. I ordered and installed the upgraded circulation pump. No issues there right?

I ordered replacement media then found this forum and seems the bio noodles are crap. Dump them?

I can def see why folks buy the media shelves. If my tank was full of water (still empty) and I had to reach down that back sump to dig for noodles or carbon there’d be a mess everywhere for sure. So, i think I need to add the media shelf. This brings me to my next question....is the stock skimmer that bad? Do I really need to buy the 9001 and attach to a media shelf? Is there a media shelf that works with stock skimmer if skimmer isn’t really that bad?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the stock skimmer is that bad. I’m looking for a replacement now this thing sounds like a plane taking off. I contacted Red Sea and they sent me an adjuster valve but yeah I just don’t think it’s skimming the way it should be either and from what I’ve read sounds like the Tunze 9001 is the way to go.