Bumblebee or Harlequin Shrimp...With Wrasse

Squatch XXL

I have a hooven's wrasse currently....I am starting to not like the amount of small starfish that are visible. I am not interested in destroying the population, but am indifferent. I doubt I will ever rid my system of them. I am looking at the Bumblebee Shrimp first, only because it can live off of more then starfish.

I know that fish are unique in their feeding habits, but I am no expert. What are the chances of something like this living with a wrasse?

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

I would say the chances are very small to none. The shrimp is small and is a typical food for a fish like a wrasse.

The wrasse will thank your for the hors d'oeuvres.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I have a hooven's wrasse currently....I am starting to not like the amount of small starfish that are visible. I am not interested in destroying the population, but am indifferent. I doubt I will ever rid my system of them. I am looking at the Bumblebee Shrimp first, only because it can live off of more then starfish.

I know that fish are unique in their feeding habits, but I am no expert. What are the chances of something like this living with a wrasse?
I’ll be able to tell you in a few weeks as I’ve just added a Harlequin shrimp to kill off an outbreak of Asterina Starfish, which have been eating my corals!

And I have ‘several’ Wrasse in the tank, but they all have a very friendly nature of course........

Once his job is done, and assuming I can catch him the LFS want him back.

Oxylebius

Hey -- I picked up a couple of bumblebee shrimp a few months back to get rid of the asterina stars. They eat the tube feet of sea stars. My fear is that these shrimp would also take out my brittle stars, which I want, and not the asterina stars, which I don't want. It is a risk, as I am unable to control what it will eat.

The stars are still around. A little less in number. I did see the bumble go after the asterina stars in the morning before the lights kicked on. Never saw them with lights fully on.

Not sure if it was really worth it. I don't see the bumblebees anymore and I still have the asterina stars.

Here are a few pics. Lights out. Bumblebee going after tube feet.

04152018 250_web.jpg 04152018 253_web.jpg

Squatch XXL

The stars are still around. A little less in number.
Unless I make changes to the sump, I doubt I would get them all ever. I havn't noticed as many in the last few weeks. I don't know if they just are outliving their usefulness. Either way, I still haven't gotten to the store to look at shrimp eating crusty.