Respect memorial Day

Paul B

When I was a kid memorial Day was called Decoration Day and it was a day of remembrance of all the people who died defending the United States and people would go to cemeteries and decorate the graves of our brave hero's who died so that we didn't have to.

Today, sadly, most people think of it as a day off and a sale day to buy stuff cheaper. But I hope many of us remember the true meaning of the day and take a minute off to pay respect to these brave Americans who gave their lives.
I am sure the Patriotic people on these forums remember.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
families_flag_quote.gif

d1dc400bf370dcbbca345b8bc252a50b.jpg

memorial+day.jpg

Squatch XXL

Thank you for the great post Paul. I had many members of my family serve our military, and thankfully somehow all of them made it back with most of their pieces. I agree with you 100%. I am blessed to have so many great people around me to tell me war stories while I was growing up....but it is imperative that we remember the others who were not so lucky. I am thankful for them as well. We have what we have today because of the will, determination and sacrifice of strong and proud men. Some didn't make it back........But we must honor their memory. If we forget, we are doomed.

I visited the "DC Complex" last in 10-2014. Somehow after various hard drive crashes, I managed to save a few photos....most were lost. This is one of the few survivors. I think it is fitting.

Last edited:

saintsreturn

I spent this memorial day enjoying the time off and with several veterans/family in the black hills. It was interesting because we did the current norm of drinking/smoking meats and cigars, and having an overall good time. What i didnt expect was that we had what i will refer to as a moment of silence in unison. It was planned or coordinated, just happened. even writing this now i have goose bumps. There are those who still know, and i think we are typically a silent majority in the communities.

It is depressing to see the direction the media and corporate america has taken this, but coming from a military heavy family, we still do our thing our way.

Oxylebius

I spent Memorial Day weekend in a VA hospital. It was quiet in the halls and those who were there were either working, staying for care, or were visiting loved ones (like I was). As I was in the elevator leaving the building someone walked in and said the words 'happy memorial day' and wondered about the happy part of it. I didn't question it out loud, but instead responded, 'the same to you'.

Why say happy? We say happy or merry before many of our holidays, so I suppose it is a natural thing to say. And if you get the day off, BBQ with friends, or go out shopping, I suppose happy fits. Happy doesn't seem to fit this holiday for me. What would one say differently when greeting someone on this day? I felt nothing close to happy about the day.