Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

"Free The Chevron Tang One !". Poor little mite.
If the family see an Asterina in my tank, they all go, "Woo, coo, isn't that little Starfish lovely".
As soon as their backs are turned, I pick it out and bin it....heh, heh, heh.......

Pancho75

And here is an up to date full tank shot

Note something’s been eating my torch corals, and is currently half way through the large one at the middle back! I’ve seen the Chevron Tang pecking around it the little sh..! Lol

View attachment 48444

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good looking tank amigo. Torch corals are difficult for me so I would be really upset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

They are beautiful, but I will not be replacing my lost one. I've decided that I also love Zoas, and the two just don't mix.

See that Gonipora bottom right of the photo? See those little white bits on the end? They are White tipped tentacles supercharged with nematocysts.

SPR

See that Gonipora bottom right of the photo? See those little white bits on the end? They are White tipped tentacles supercharged with nematocysts.
i know. I had a ‘green un’ when I started out and moved it with my hand when the tentacles were retracted. It felt very rough.

Can you remember the feeling I had of being electrocuted every time I put my fingers in the tank which nobody else could feel. It was were I had been savagely attacked with the ‘supercharged’ nematocysts!

Top tip. Always wear gloves!

SPR

So then let’s talk about the Asterina Starfish. AKA the little white sweet starfish and eater and killer of my corals!

Over a period of around 3 months I’ve lost 3 smallish torch/hammer corals and currently the large torch coral at the back of my tank is half the size it once was.

I thought it was the fish pecking at them but then I found some in the middle of the large (once anyway!) green star polyp and noticed I had a plague of them in the tank.

So I’ve spent the last 3 days removing any that can be seen with some long tweezers

I’ve also reserved 2 Harlequin Shrimps which are coming into the LFS today

7518866928_IMG_2126.JPG

Nobbygas

I read an article a few weeks ago that claimed that as soon as you put Harlequins in the tank, the Asterina's somehow 'sense' this and they all start to try to escape the Harlequin's and this can be seen as the Asterina's start to 'climb the walls' of the tank. I haven't got a link to it though and I can't remember where I read it!
It'll be interesting to note if you see this kind of behaviour.

SPR

I read an article a few weeks ago that claimed that as soon as you put Harlequins in the tank, the Asterina's somehow 'sense' this and they all start to try to escape the Harlequin's and this can be seen as the Asterina's start to 'climb the walls' of the tank. I haven't got a link to it though and I can't remember where I read it!
It'll be interesting to note if you see this kind of behaviour.
Guess which side of the tank the Harlequin is lurking!

I took the pictures last night with my phone as I new I wasn’t imagining it! My wife thought I was mad !

IMG_2214.JPGIMG_2215.JPGIMG_2216.JPG

Pancho75

Good pics Shaun! I can see your GSP are taking over in the right corner I hope is not in the glass yet my friend

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Good pics Shaun! I can see your GSP are taking over in the right corner I hope is not in the glass yet my friend
Why is on the glass bad!

Actually when I clean the glass I make sure the Flipper blade goes all the way through so no it’s not connected, yet!

Pancho75

Why is on the glass bad!

Actually when I clean the glass I make sure the Flipper blade goes all the way through so no it’s not connected, yet!
Because the GSP will continue to grow over the glass and what I saw in another couple of tanks is it does not come out easy.

I like my GSP but I keep it in sort of “islands” in the sand bed because it would take over the rocks if attached to them. They will even grow over the sand bed hahaha, kind of bulldoze coral. I trim mines every 2 - 3 months.

Nobbygas

Because the GSP will continue to grow over the glass and what I saw in another couple of tanks is it does not come out easy.

I like my GSP but I keep it in sort of “islands” in the sand bed because it would take over the rocks if attached to them. They will even grow over the sand bed hahaha, kind of bulldoze coral. I trim mines every 2 - 3 months.

Yeah,. I have mine on an isolated piece of rock. I like GSP though. It looks good with that swaying movement, and is also very colourful.