HELP! Sand Sifting Starfish behavior

escobar240

Hey everyone

So about a week ago I got a starfish and its been doing well in the tank except for tonight. Usually he will bury himself into the sand, come out and go to a different part of the tank and go back down. But instead tonight he's above the sand and this sort of film or slime is secreting from him. Does anyone know whats happening?IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG

Uncle99

Unfortunately starfish in general do not last long in captivity. Many think it's starvation or an inability to adjust to the changes in a captive environment, that does not look positive to me, some call it melting.

Tank looks new, water cloudy, rock looks and sand looks pristine. Even in a mature tank they slowly starve to death.

Perhaps I am wrong.

IMO, leave all starfish in the sea.

Sorry,

Last edited:

cracker

Sorry but imho I think your star is gone. I wouldn't leave it in there. Get it out & see if it still moves or anything. Give the sniff test. Put it on it's back in separate container. if it's still kicking it will turn over. Sorry man.

saintsreturn

Sorry bud, but that is how my first one looked before it died. You do not want that mess in the tank so i would pull it and verify.

Your sand looks very clean, is this setup new? When i lost mine, by tank was about 3 months old. Now that its several years established and dirty, my Star is having a good ol time.