Help....bristle worms barage

RedSea_New59

Have had my 34 gallon tank up almost 3 months now and have noticed too many bristle worms that constantly go after my fire shrimp (esp when I hand feed him). I know people say that these worms are good for the overall tank, but I'd like to get rid of some as they seem to be gaining control of things:( I have seen a few videos on trapping them, but don't seem all that effective. Have you tried a method for trapping these worms that was effective? Please and thanks.

norfolkgarden

Wow, they are good for the tank. I still see 1" long worms on and off when I move stuff around.
But I don't think I would like them if they were big enough to go after my fire shrimp!

We have fish that eat them, so less of a problem.

35 gallon tank is kind of small for most of the fish we have.
Maybe a small yellow 'coris' wrasse?
Do you have a sand bottom?
What other fish do you have in the tank already?
Never want to recommend a six line wrasse. They will become a monster in that size tank. Glad we finally trapped and removed ours.

Not sure if a Royal Gramma will go after them. That would be a beautiful fish for that size tank.

Have heard good things about a section of panty hose filled with a piece of shrimp overnight. The bristles get caught in the panty hose and you use tongs to dump it in the trash.
Don't pick it up by hand.
[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RedSea_New59

I have a Sleeper Goby and Common Clown fish at present. Also have several snails, hermit/emerald crabs, dusters and an Anemone (with Porcelain Anemone crab). For a 34 gallon tank, is there a fish you'd recommend that dines on bristle worms, or as Nobbygas suggests, I just need to cut down on feeding?

FYI...I have a one inch sand bed.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Too many Bristle Worms indicate that you are overfeeding the tank. Their population reflects the amount of food available. Cut down on feeding, and you'll reduce their population.

+1

frisbee

While limiting the food source will work, this can take quite awhile before you see any results. For a quick fix you could just lure them out into the open with a piece of shrimp on a hook and then siphon them out one by one. You might want to turn the lights & the the powerheads off when you do this though. Make them feel more comfortable exposing themselves. If you do this two or three days in a row should be able to put a significant dent in the population. GL.

Pancho75

Wow, they are good for the tank. I still see 1" long worms on and off when I move stuff around.
But I don't think I would like them if they were big enough to go after my fire shrimp!

We have fish that eat them, so less of a problem.

35 gallon tank is kind of small for most of the fish we have.
Maybe a small yellow 'coris' wrasse?
Do you have a sand bottom?
What other fish do you have in the tank already?
Never want to recommend a six line wrasse. They will become a monster in that size tank. Glad we finally trapped and removed ours.

Not sure if a Royal Gramma will go after them. That would be a beautiful fish for that size tank.

Have heard good things about a section of panty hose filled with a piece of shrimp overnight. The bristles get caught in the panty hose and you use tongs to dump it in the trash.
Don't pick it up by hand.
[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
+1 wrasse will eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had my 34 gallon tank up almost 3 months now and have noticed too many bristle worms that constantly go after my fire shrimp (esp when I hand feed him). I know people say that these worms are good for the overall tank, but I'd like to get rid of some as they seem to be gaining control of things:( I have seen a few videos on trapping them, but don't seem all that effective. Have you tried a method for trapping these worms that was effective? Please and thanks.

A small wrasse would be good (just avoid the 6 line as they can be unholy terrors). Not sure if the pink streaked eats them but that would be an ideal solution. Also as mentioned above cut down on feeding.

frisbee

I'm not sure if a wrasse in a 34 gallon tank is the best solution. Some of those worms might be bigger than that wrasse itself. And that mouth that they have, unless they can swallow the whole thing it should take some doing to kill it and then eat the remains. Hmm... Still leaning towards manual removal as the best option.

BTW I like these worms. As long as your parameters are within reason the more the merrier. GL.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Once upon a time I had an arrow crab who at bristle worms. Mine was reef friendly, never bothered corals, but did take up a good bit of space since his legs were so long and spindly. (Good for reaching in deep cracks to clean out the excess worms in the live rock.)

Jeff.