HELP! You're new to the hobby or starting over, which would you choose?

You're starting fresh and can only choose one which one and why?

• SCA 50 Gallon Cube EcoTech Marine Edition

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Red Sea Max E170

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other: Please explain your decision.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Why-Me

I've been back and forth between these two setups for a year now. Initially had my heart set on a Red Sea Max but the SCA seems to be a more complete kit, either way I finally can afford one and am ready to pull the trigger but I just can't decide which is best for me. So if you're starting over or new to this hobby like me and can choose one setup which would it be and why?
Option 1.
or
Option 2.

My thought process is that for the same price the SCA coming with those EcoTech goodies makes it a better all around kit for a newbie like me. Please help me make a decision.

SPR

It’s personal choice but I am a Red Sea man through and through as they have excellent customer service (certainly in the U.K.) and the products and equipment and very good quality. Everything is also self contained which to me is vital as I like the clean look (no wires etc).

You can also follow the Red Sea Reef Care Program (which you can of course with either system) which will help you very much if you read up on everything and follow the various aspects.

Anyway it’s your tank, your money, so your choice.

PS Welcome to Reef Sanctuary by the way!!

Last edited:

Pat24601

I’m not sure that question has a wrong answer. They both look good to me.

I trust Red Sea as far as reputation for quality as that is what I’ve had and it’s gone well. I don’t know SCA one way or another, but that isn’t bad. It just means I haven’t used it. It looks quite nice.

Those two tanks a pretty different sizes, right? Does that make a difference?

A lot of us on this forum are on it because it has a lot of Red Sea owners. I know I am. So, that may bias the response.

DaveK

If I had to choose only between those two systems, I'd pick the EcoTech mostly because it has an external sump and skimmer. However, either system would work just fine, and there really isn't too much to choose between them.

If I could choose anything I wanted, and money was not a major factor, I'd get a reef ready 70 gal tank and individual components. This way I could put the money where I felt it would do the most good. For example, I'd want different lighting, but don't need internet connectivity. I'd get a sump made from acrylic, rather than glass, and I'd want a stand made from from wood, rather than MDF. I'd actually expect to spend somewhat more money on this option.

Oxylebius

I selected neither. I like closed systems. I am not a fan of the open tanks. I have a frag tank that is open and I don't like how the light isn't contained by a hood.

Uncle99

I like to put my own pieces in play.
I like having choice, exchange ability, and upgrade ability.
I learned this way and now it would be harder for me to relearn past accomplishments and errors with a new or packaged setup...

I love the Red Sea stuff, top end IMO, and maybe for the next rebuild due 2022, we make that final change

Pat24601

I selected neither. I like closed systems. I am not a fan of the open tanks. I have a frag tank that is open and I don't like how the light isn't contained by a hood.

I’m 10000% with you. I really don’t like the trend to open systems AT ALL!!!

The light pollution not only bugs me (maybe in part because I’m light sensitive), but I also worry about my 4 year olds looking up into it. From their angle, that can be pretty darn bright!

But, open tanks are really hard to avoid these days.

I mean, is there even a closed system out there with a hood like the C-250 rather than an open system with overhang LED lights?

Even if you wanted to try to build one yourself, I’m not sure how you could.

Believe me I’ve tried!

The closest I can find is those large wooden canopies to cover everything and I don’t really like that either.

If anyone is even aware of a new tank with a closed system option like Red Sea used to have, let me know. :)

Last edited:

Why-Me

Well for $1500 to my door I went with the SCA 50 cube with free $180 upgrade to solid oak rustic grey stand, SCA 301 skimmer, atman ph2500 return pump, filter floss, media balls, sponge media, free $30 upgrade to overflow cover, 18.5 gallon glass sump, Reef Link, G4 Radion XR15 pro, Ecotech MP10WQD and XRS mounting arm for the XR15 with free $40 liftgate service from the trucking co. which were all included in the package. I may not be updating this for awhile as this won't be set up until June, but I will update as I acquire new items for this setup. I'm new to the hobby and still collecting everything needed to properly run and care for this aquarium and it's soon to be inhabitants. My plans...So I really want a mandarin dragonet it's a deal breaker so I'll start there and do realize that won't happen til xmas or this time next year at the earliest. I know I need pod population and will build a feeder (I love this place, RC, R2R and my local reefing forum TCMAS.) You all rock! I would also like pair of clowns, a wrasse or two, diamond goby, royal gramma. Corals; gotta have frogspawn or torches for movement, toadstool, and some zoas. Also would eventually like a BTA for the clowns. As for the sump I will KISS at first, running mini refugium in the middle chamber, skimmer and return on the right side with the drain and a filter sock setup being on the left. Tank is drilled for a herbie, I will hard plumb it. 2 weeks ago I grabbed a used Apex system with good temp and pH probes, display, extra Eb-8 and all cables to run everything. Last weekend I got a bunch of used stuff for setup including a heater, 2 mag floats (one for QT one for DT), pump for mixing station and water changes. Next weekend there's a local frag swap/saltwater expo and so far I'm picking up the following items; used 10gal QT, used 2 hydor koralia 425gph wavemakers, brand new light hanging kit, brand new 70lbs carib sea sand, used magnetic probe rack, 2 brand new mp10 foam covers, 4 brand new felt filter socks and a used IM magnetic food defroster.
PICS HERE

saintsreturn

Welcome to the site and thank you for allowing the group to provide opinions to help you, and most likely others as well.

Congratulations on the new setup and I am looking forward to seeing your build thread.

This site is heavy on the Red Sea fans, but do not let that deter you. They are full of useful information and unbiased when loving other peoples setups. I have a home built system that I love and went heavy on the ecotech setup as it is what i wanted.

Do not forget about us when you start your setup as we love watching tanks progress and their hobbyist grow in their passion. Enjoy the reeflink, i know i do :D