Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Bucket list place to go for me. Envious!! Would you share pics in the off topic forum on here when you return?
Yes of course I will no problem.

I’m going at the end of March 2019 with my son and we are flying into Ecuador and then to Galapagos were we pick up a first class motor yacht that’s being refurbished at the moment.

Then we do 7 days around the islands, snorkelling, walking etc.

I was going to do the Amazon as well while in the area, but was worried in case we picked a disease up and then having to be on a boat for 7 days (Amazon part of trip was first). So thought maybe do that another time. We’re going with Exodus who arrange everything.

Nobbygas

Agh! I was booked to go to the Galapagos four years ago, and about two weeks before the trip I had a heart attack, which put the mockers on it!
It is the 'Mecca' for divers. How on earth can you go there and not dive?
I have no doubt it will be a fantastic trip though. My friend went last year and he said the 'water was a bit nippy'!

SPR

Agh! I was booked to go to the Galapagos four years ago, and about two weeks before the trip I had a heart attack, which put the mockers on it!
It is the 'Mecca' for divers. How on earth can you go there and not dive?
I have no doubt it will be a fantastic trip though. My friend went last year and he said the 'water was a bit nippy'!
That's a shame.

Ive told you before I don't do diving, I like to just paddle. I will go snorkelling and I'll force myself to be calm in the shark infested waters! lol

I'm actually looking forward to it and my son is over the moon about going. My wife said if I was going there to take him (rather than her) as it will be one of those maybe once in a lifetime events for him potentially.

The climate can be changeable from what ive read, and I chose end of March because apparently the water is warmer at that time. So ive read, but of course in can change.

Nobbygas

That's a shame.

Ive told you before I don't do diving, I like to just paddle. I will go snorkelling and I'll force myself to be calm in the shark infested waters! lol

I'm actually looking forward to it and my son is over the moon about going. My wife said if I was going there to take him (rather than her) as it will be one of those maybe once in a lifetime events for him potentially.

The climate can be changeable from what ive read, and I chose end of March because apparently the water is warmer at that time. So ive read, but of course in can change.
If you don't mind me asking, but how old is your son? I've got two. The eldest is 38 and the youngest is 7 ! The eldest is also a diver and we've dived together on Shark trips to South Africa. I like to take him as he is smaller than me, so if a shark wants a bite to eat, the shark will probably pick him first as he looks more like a seal ! Just being realistic :)

SPR

Well that's a big gap - I wont ask! lol

My son is 27 and has loved watching David Attenborough programs all his life and hence his dream trip, which is why I'm taking him with me. Its my 50th birthday at the end of this year so its time for some 'fancy trips'.

Ive also told him that he may need to wear a black seal skin wet suit, for his own protection against the elements of course ! lol

Actually he is probably more paranoid than me especially having seen the 100's of hammerheads swimming there!

Nobbygas

My son is 27 and has loved watching David Attenborough programs all his life and hence his dream trip, which is why I'm taking him with me. Its my 50th birthday at the end of this year so its time for some 'fancy trips'.

Ive also told him that he may need to wear a black seal skin wet suit, for his own protection against the elements of course ! lol

Actually he is probably more paranoid than me especially having seen the 100's of hammerheads swimming there!
Hammerheads are safe. They don't attack humans. The shape of their head is a giveaway, as they hunt for stuff in the sand. They are totally safe, really.

Nobbygas

One good trip I went on a few years ago involved fly to J'Burg, and then travelling to Mozambique. There were no sharks there, but lots of Whale Sharks, Giant Manta's and Dolphins. Obviously, you can see the Whale Sharks with just a mask, fins & snorkel. To have a ten metre Whale Shark within touching distance as you float spead-eagled on the surface is an experience that money cannot buy. On the trip back from Mozambique we then spent four days on safari in the Kruger National Park. All-in-all, a fantastic trip. Mozambique itself is not yet touristy. There are huge white sandy beaches with hardly anyone there !

Oxylebius

Yes of course I will no problem.

I’m going at the end of March 2019 with my son and we are flying into Ecuador and then to Galapagos were we pick up a first class motor yacht that’s being refurbished at the moment.

Then we do 7 days around the islands, snorkelling, walking etc.

I was going to do the Amazon as well while in the area, but was worried in case we picked a disease up and then having to be on a boat for 7 days (Amazon part of trip was first). So thought maybe do that another time. We’re going with Exodus who arrange everything.

Sorry I totally high-jacked this thread temporarily with Galapagos envy and excitement :chatter:. Sounds like I'm not the only one excited for you and your trip. Even though you aren't diving, if you are taking underwater pics via snorkeling :scuba:, think about posting an album in the scuba diving forum on this site.

:threadjack:

How about them...ah :ponder2: what were we talking about before the Galapagos? Maybe we should continue to talk about the :shark2:

SPR

Sorry I totally high-jacked this thread temporarily with Galapagos envy and excitement :chatter:. Sounds like I'm not the only one excited for you and your trip. Even though you aren't diving, if you are taking underwater pics via snorkeling :scuba:, think about posting an album in the scuba diving forum on this site.

:threadjack:

How about them...ah :ponder2: what were we talking about before the Galapagos? Maybe we should continue to talk about the :shark2:
I certainly will post some pictures when I get back next year of course.

I booked our places on the trip very early so we would get a place when I wanted to go, and also have more time to get prepared and more importantly excited about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPR

With the winter and a few trips away I haven’t done a water change for nearly 4 weeks and that’s the longest period between changes ever since I set up the tank.

Were there any ill effects of leaving it that long ? Not at all. All parameters when I checked them last week were unchanged including Nitrate and phosphate which are around 12 and 0.-0.03 respectively. All foundation elements were stable and within normal levels thanks to the auto doser.

I also changed out the Rhowaphos reactor which generally lasts 3-4 weeks before it starts to clog up, which is why I try and keep the sump area as clean as I can with various methods of filtration.

Anyway pictures....

7516788576_IMG_0830.JPG7516788576_IMG_0826.JPG7516788576_IMG_0824.JPG7516788576_IMG_0814.JPG7583938480_IMG_0728.JPG

Last edited:

Pat24601

Awesome photos as always!

I haven't done a water change in at least a month either due to travel. Maybe more like 6 weeks. I'm not really seeing any adverse effects.

I'm actually a huge believer in big, frequent water changes as I think it can solve a lot of problems, but it's nice to know I can slip for a while and be fine. :)

SPR

Awesome photos as always!

I haven't done a water change in at least a month either due to travel. Maybe more like 6 weeks. I'm not really seeing any adverse effects.

I'm actually a huge believer in big, frequent water changes as I think it can solve a lot of problems, but it's nice to know I can slip for a while and be fine. :)
Thanks Pat!

I’ve sort of got the ‘heart beat’ of the system. I can instantly hear any odd noises or sounds coming from it. Yesterday I could hear trickling water (this always makes me nervous ! Lol)and it was just water from the UVC output hose which had lifted a few mm’s out of the water.

I believe the system is now ‘mature enough’ and with the large amount of biological and mechanical filtration in play, it could go for long periods without water changes.

It’s not something I’m going to do because I just like the idea of new water in there, but I certainly wouldn’t worry about going a month or so in between changes. This isn’t something I would recommend for anyone starting out, and I would stick with the normal 10% weekly change which certainly worked for me.

My standard change now is around 110-120 litres out of around 575 litres actual water allowing for displacement out of the advertised 650 litres system volume.

Pancho75

With the winter and a few trips away I haven’t done a water change for nearly 4 weeks and that’s the longest period between changes ever since I set up the tank.

Were there any ill effects of leaving it that long ? Not at all. All parameters when I checked them last week were unchanged including Nitrate and phosphate which are around 12 and 0.-0.03 respectively. All foundation elements were stable and within normal levels thanks to the auto doser.

I also changed out the Rhowaphos reactor which generally lasts 3-4 weeks before it starts to clog up, which is why I try and keep the sump area as clean as I can with various methods of filtration.

Anyway pictures....

View attachment 48299View attachment 48300View attachment 48301View attachment 48302View attachment 48303
No problem for the water changes if we keep testing and dosing accordingly, of course good husbandry is necessary as well.

Nice pics by the way.

In my case, I think I will do water change on Saturday or Sunday along with a good sump cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk