Hello, Should I go for the original MAXD130 fluorescent tubes or buy a light retrofit LED kit?

Pat24601

That's a really personal decision depending on what your priorities are and what you like.

I'm a big fan of the Steve's LEDs retrofit kit. I like the way LEDs look, the control you have over them, and the fact that you don't have to replace bulbs.

It costs some money as an initial output, though. The hope is that money comes back to you in not having to replace bulbs.

Also, maybe you don't like them for some reason. I dunno. :)

Pancho75

As Pat said that is personal but if you want my opinion I will go for the LEDs, the coral colors and long term cost are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giuseppe Topa

That's a really personal decision depending on what your priorities are and what you like.

I'm a big fan of the Steve's LEDs retrofit kit. I like the way LEDs look, the control you have over them, and the fact that you don't have to replace bulbs.

It costs some money as an initial output, though. The hope is that money comes back to you in not having to replace bulbs.

Also, maybe you don't like them for some reason. I dunno. :)

Thanks for your answers. I think I will follow your preference for LED. Can you give me the full name of Steve’s LED retrofit kit and where I can buy it?
Thanks a lot
GT

melvis

Totally agree with the guys. I added the Steve's LEDs to my C130 and they are great. The newer version is plug 'n' play so makes it a lot easier to install than the older style I've got. In terms of a controller, I think if I were buying again, I'd go for the Bluefish controller - just seems more configurable.

Pat24601

Totally agree with the guys. I added the Steve's LEDs to my C130 and they are great. The newer version is plug 'n' play so makes it a lot easier to install than the older style I've got. In terms of a controller, I think if I were buying again, I'd go for the Bluefish controller - just seems more configurable.

I'd definitely get the bluefish controller. Not that the other one is hard to use, but since the bluefish comes with an app you can use with your phone, it's much more flexible and easier to change settings.

Also, Melvis is right. He and I installed ours the hard way originally. It's much easier now.

melvis

Well, I'd maybe say the semi-hard way Pat lol...there was the from scratch version if I remember correctly - wouldn't have fancied either of us doing that in the small time windows we had had...

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Thanks for all the support! Giuseppe, I'm glad to answer any questions you may have about that LED system. It will allow you to grow even the most advanced photosynthetic corals with relative ease. It is so bright, I don't think I have ever heard of anybody running it at full power!

Easy to install, lifespan of 15+ years, easy to service, I couldn't have designed it better myself.

-Jeff