Dottyback lover

DaveK

Yes, I have had both over the years.

They are a good fish in many ways, colorful, comes out a lot, doesn't get too large, and generally reef safe. However they can be very aggressive. Because of this, they should usually be the last fish added to the tank, and don't keep them with very docile fish.

DaveK

That is something you generally don't want to do. You may get lucky and they will work out together, but most of the time one will keep chaseing the other away.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
DMiles,
Orchids are indeed aggressive, however in my experience, they are relatively territorial too. On occasion they will continue to chase a fish past their typical territory, albeit unusual. It mostly depends on the size of the aquarium that determines if you may be able to get them to cohabitate. The Orchid I once had was happy with about 2 cubic feet of space in one of my 210 gallon aquariums. Dottybacks have smaller territories if I'm not mistaken.

-Steve

norfolkgarden

They can work in a 75 gallon, 4 foot wide tank.
They each pick a side and mostly keep to it.
One will be more dominant and have a bigger territory.

3 didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Generally not a good idea to keep two in most of our tanks b/c they are two small. A larger and longer tank may be needed for these fish if you have more then one. In too small a tank they may continually go at each other until one ends up getting beat up or succumbs to some disease from living in a continual state of stress b/c of being chased non-stop.