fragging lps

carmexx

I have a question on fragging an acan lord. I did not do it purposefully but found 2 floating polyps. I placed them in one of those glass rim hanging containers with coarse rock bits for it to set up. It doesn't seem to be working but i'm thinking sand for an lps now since it needs to build the skeleton. I just put a small jar with sand in it into the sandbed with the polyp in it. Do you think I am on the right track? What should i do different if at all?

Oxylebius

I haven't fragged my acans yet, have had them for :ponder2: when was MACNA last in town, 2.5 years ago? For most corals like acans, you would want to frag between the eyes (not through the eyes). Some of these corals have really thick bases which makes fragging difficult. Due to the thick base some people use saws (you should be able to find recommendations for fragging acans using saws on websites).

Now as for your little sprouts... it sounds like you are on the right path keeping them contained in sand on the sand bed. Give them a couple of months w/o bothering them and then check out if they produced a skeleton. Keep the jar open at the top and make sure there is some current getting to the coral. Maybe grab a low rim tupperware top instead of a jar? This is what I'd do, but in a frag tank. The less messing with it the better until it becomes stronger.

Got any pics to share with us. Love to see them!

carmexx

I haven't fragged my acans yet, have had them for :ponder2: when was MACNA last in town, 2.5 years ago? For most corals like acans, you would want to frag between the eyes (not through the eyes). Some of these corals have really thick bases which makes fragging difficult. Due to the thick base some people use saws (you should be able to find recommendations for fragging acans using saws on websites).

Now as for your little sprouts... it sounds like you are on the right path keeping them contained in sand on the sand bed. Give them a couple of months w/o bothering them and then check out if they produced a skeleton. Keep the jar open at the top and make sure there is some current getting to the coral. Maybe grab a low rim tupperware top instead of a jar? This is what I'd do, but in a frag tank. The less messing with it the better until it becomes stronger.

Got any pics to share with us. Love to see them!
Thank you for the information. Its great to Yeah I do agree with the 3 months undisturbed to get that skeleton. Ha, I was hoping it would become sticky under the polyp and plant itself in the sand with a little help. I finally filled the bottom of a red Sea test kit vile in the sand. Polyp is not being disturbed and there is small turnover in the jar to keep it fresh. Haha. Then after a couple weeks, I thought hmmm, when he gets a seleton how do I get him out..duh. I think I may take a hammer to it.
Anyway here's pics
32654fa89978d2fc15b050a095f5b7be.jpg
8a24eeb375ee30cfab06f9fb0ecb7b42.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That is a nice little frag! As Oxy said, most people saw through the skeleton (often without much precision) but lucky for you one let go itself!