Tank turned 49 this year

Pat24601

Better than being run over by a school bus,,,Twice. :rolleyes:

This is one of the many reasons your posts are so interesting. If I had a fish die of that I would literally never know why it died. I'd probably think it was because of algae from an eclipse or something before that occurred to me.

Paul B

Everyone should at least look inside their gills with a low power magnifier instead of making a thread like: My fish died, Please tell me why, it was a blue fish. Then everyone comes up with these reasons. Like really :cool:

Unless it was run over by a school bus, you need to give more information.
A coroner was once asked in court, "How many autopsies have you performed on dead people?"
His answer was, "All the autopsies I performed were on dead people" :eek:

Pat24601

Everyone should at least look inside their gills with a low power magnifier instead of making a thread like: My fish died, Please tell me why, it was a blue fish. Then everyone comes up with these reasons. Like really :cool:

Unless it was run over by a school bus, you need to give more information.
A coroner was once asked in court, "How many autopsies have you performed on dead people?"
His answer was, "All the autopsies I performed were on dead people" :eek:

My fish died and it was white. I treated all the other fish in the tank for Ich and they are fine. Do you think it died of rabies?

Pat24601

No, trillobites.

Trilobites are one of my favorite things. I have a pretty serious trilobite collection probably worth a grand or so.

Anyway, can you tell me what killed my trilobite? It’s limestone colored.

Here is a picture.

819B051B-925C-40DC-B351-BB4AF099A1B7.jpeg

BTW, not one of my better pieces, but from the cliffs where I grew up. My father and I used to dig up trilobites together...and have fish tanks.

Paul B

It ate too many Rolaids. All that calcium. :cool:

I also have a collection for them. I am designing a feeder so they don't get skinny. :rolleyes:

Paul B

I am going to take down my worm tank because of the move. I have so many white worms now that I can use them for a while. I will set up the black worms in the new place if I have a reliable source for them. I wil also make another white worm tank as they grow very fast and are easier to take care of at least until I re build my workshop which will probably take a year or two.
I ordered red wood for my new stand. Redwood warps the least out of the lumber except for cedar which is very weak. The legs will be pressure treated 4X4s.

Pat24601

I am going to take down my worm tank because of the move. I have so many white worms now that I can use them for a while. I will set up the black worms in the new place if I have a reliable source for them. I wil also make another white worm tank as they grow very fast and are easier to take care of at least until I re build my workshop which will probably take a year or two.
I ordered red wood for my new stand. Redwood warps the least out of the lumber except for cedar which is very weak. The legs will be pressure treated 4X4s.

Are you building a whole new stand then?

DaveK

... The legs will be pressure treated 4X4s.

I did this once. Never again. If you are going to do it, make sure the pressure treated wood is safe for indoor use. Not all of it is, and I suspect most 4x4 are treated for exterior use only.

You might be better off just using regular 4x4s and giving them a few coats of spar varnish or polyurethane.

Paul B

Pat I am building a whole new stand. My old stand is staying with the house and this new tank will be bigger. I build everything and wouldn't even know how to buy a stand. :eek: A stand is very easy to build and will only take a few hours. It will be inside a wall so you won't see it so it will not be a piece of furniture. :)

Dave, I will take your recommendation under advisement. Thanks. :D

DaveK

That's one nice thing about needing to move. You get to redo the entire tank setup. No matter how good the original one was there are always things you think of later that you would do differently.

Paul B

In the new place it is a big empty room with one outlet on the other end of the room, so initially I will just have the tank there, (there is also no heat in that room) and I will have a long extension cord feeding the tank. There is also no drain or sink, RO or anything else. Luckily the ocean is a few hundred yards away so I can at least get seawater but top off water will be a problem until I can hook up the RO. I have many other things to do as soon as I move like put lights up in the place.

Paul B

My wife is great. I see a lot of posts where men have trouble buying things because their wife has other plans, but so far, in 45 or so years, my wife has never said anything about what I spend on the tank or even my collection of Speedo's. :rolleyes:

She even bought me many of the fish, pumps, ozonizers and other things and her Mother (rest in peace) bought me the tank. Of course we are moving soon and need to rent a tractor trailer to move her shoes. :confused:
Maybe she has a boy friend :eek: :confused::confused::confused::eek::confused:

Paul B

The beginnings of my Industrial/Steam Punk King size bed for my new home. It still needs stain, more wheels, a middle, other side, etc. The wall behind the bed will be barn wood from a barn and I am building a barn door in the center. This will be finished like that. I already beat up the wood. I think it will look very cool.
With the mattress on all you will see is 4" of those 4X6 lumber on the sides and ends.
It will look like a giant, industrial dolly with steel wheels.

DaveK

You'll never need to worry about the bed frame bending or breaking.(grin) It looks like quite a job to move, but I'm sure your up to it.