Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Hey Kindred thanks :)
I used an acrylic baffle by little ocean to divide the main chamber in the sump then used a Reef octopus skimmer stand to keep my chaeto off the bottom of the sump where all the dirt is as it raised my skimmer way to high out the water haha so found another use for it then the light I'm using is a Kessil H80 Tuna Flora lamp designed for refugiums.

Courtney

Well think I have enough coral now hahaha here is a picture of all the bits I got today even had to make a shelf to store them as well [emoji23]

Pictures below but not all of them have opened up just yet.

13d2a429544ede09f71697f99f0ec08f.jpg

9be77190d00d408cbc6e6764a47f731e.jpg

50bfd7da1596654e84fc52a14d9a75dc.jpg

Last edited:

Kindred

Beautiful corals , thanks for the info I’m going to do the same for the Refugium , out of stock atm but when it’s back in I’ll order.

Cheers,

Kind

Courtney

Thanks man yeah was out of stock when I was first looking to get one but it's a good ideas to keep things neat and tidy.

Courtney

Just added some JBL Micromec
to help build up my filtration so apparently one box of this stuff has 1500 m2 area of filtering space so should help give my tank a boost. I have put it in the first chamber of my sump which is where the down flow pipes are from the display tank so lots of flow.

a190b251b50c99f90c108b16aaaf434f.jpg

Courtney

Today I picked up 3 new fish which in really happy with. So I got a royal grammar and 2 scooter blenny's one normal and one flame both were a little thin so I'm looking after them. So as of now there both in my sump until there a bit stronger. I have taken both my filter socks off and just laid them in there as there both full of pods which there happily eating and I added a load more live food as well so fingers crossed they do well. Will get pictures as soon as there all settled in.

Courtney

Well the flame scooter died this morning but he was really weak from work but tried to save him but was far gone by time I got him home to try and help him.

The Royal Gramma is slowly becoming more confident and I'm just feeding up the other scooter blenny.

Courtney

The royal gramma died today and don't know why as all the other fish I have are fine do you guys have any ideas why I keep losing fish as all my parameters are good. Could it be some virus or pathogen that my other fish are immune to as it seems I can't add fish without one dying.

Pat24601

Wow. That sucks. I’m starting to agree with you this doesn’t really sound like a coincidence anymore.

How long have you had the royal gramma? What other fish do you have?

Last edited:

Courtney

The royal grammar has only been in there since Monday and my other fish are

2 Clowns
2 Firefish
2 Green chromis
1 Pyjama cardinal
1 Watchman goby
1 Randal's goby
1 Scooter blenny
1 Red Sea cleaner wrasse

When a new fish dies it makes me worry about the other fish I got recently which would be the cleaner wrasse and scooter blenny. I don't want to treat the tank if I don't have to as none of the fish are showing any visual signs of sickness and there all still eating and there is no rapid breathing or any of them lying about so don't know what to do at the moment.

Pat24601

The royal grammar has only been in there since Monday and my other fish are

2 Clowns
2 Firefish
2 Green chromis
1 Pyjama cardinal
1 Watchman goby
1 Randal's goby
1 Scooter blenny
1 Red Sea cleaner wrasse

When a new fish dies it makes me worry about the other fish I got recently which would be the cleaner wrasse and scooter blenny. I don't want to treat the tank if I don't have to as none of the fish are showing any visual signs of sickness and there all still eating and there is no rapid breathing or any of them lying about so don't know what to do at the moment.

Oh, if a fish dies right away, I actually worry about it less. Fish go through a lot getting to us and who knows how they were captured...could have been with cyanide.

While I haven’t had it happen because fish I buy tend to have been at my LFS for a while, I pretty much ignore it when a fish dies right away. It could have been about to die anyway for any one of a number of reasons. Those first few days are a big deal then the first few weeks.

SPR

So I got a royal grammar and 2 scooter blenny's one normal and one flame both were a little thin so I'm looking after them..
Hi Courtney

Are you sure these fish were healthy in the first place in view of above and how long had the shop had them ?

It sounds like they may have been struggling anyway and the possible stress of moving them to a new home was maybe to much if they were already in poor shape.

It’s very difficult and we have all lost fish for no apparent reason and on the basis your other fish are ok is probably nothing to do with your system.

The other thing as well is that sometimes when your not looking fish can intimidate each other and this can be another reason why for no reason we loose them. They don’t seem to have much ‘fight’ in them sometimes fish, and just role over!

If it keeps happening you may have to try a different shop, although I appreciate your work position. I used the same shop for most corals, until I realised that every single large coral colony I had ever purchased (all £85-100 each) had died, within a month or so. I haven’t and wouldn’t purchase another large one from them. Fish yes, but not corals. I now get corals from another shop and haven’t had a single problem and some of the corals were well over £125.

So it may not be your fault at all so don’t beat yourself up to much.

Courtney

I man I look after marine fish a lot at work so I'm always checking on them and I feed them everyday with vitamin enriched foods. The wrasse and the framer had been there for over a month but the grammar had only been there since last Tuesday I believe.

I do also make sure that when I add them to my tank I keep a close eye on them to make sure there not being picked on. It is frustrating as I want more fish in my tank but just so worried that there going to die for no reason but I might from now on reserve them at work and watch them for a couple of weeks before I buy them.

SPR

I I might from now on reserve them at work and watch them for a couple of weeks before I buy them.

That’s what I would do because at the moment your potentially paying money for fish that could have quiet easily died in the shop. Let them take the risk as there the ones sourcing and selling good quality live stock.

But again just remember, this has happened to all of us.

Nobbygas

If you read my thread, you'll see that recently I've had two wrasse (Leopard & Canary) that both disappeared into the sand, and I haven't seen them since. I can only assume after so long they are dead. The Leopard had only been in the tank for about one hour.
Yes, we've all lost fish we've recently paid good money for. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.
The only tip I can offer is to change the layout of the tank when introducing new fish to avoid any potential territorial conflicts. I've found the easiest way to do this is not by moving any of the rocks, but I just put a fish-trap into the tank near where I release the new fish. I don't place it on the bottom, but about halfway up the tank, and I use a couple of spare magnets to hold it in place. This allows the new fish some space and time to relax and become confident, and it also stops the other fish from any possible harassment. It's easy to do, and after a few days you just remove the trap.