New BioCube 32 owner

Pat24601

Trying to find out if I need to change the lighting and add flow to my tank.

I have one. Both questions really depend on what you are trying to do and perhaps more specifically what corals you are trying to work with.

People do well with stock. The lights aren’t the best, but they aren’t bad either. Also, more flow is almost always good. So, it kind of depends on what you are doing with the tank.

I have mine stock, but I’m just running FOWLR with fish. So, LED upgrades would be overkill for me right now.

One thing is you can always try it like it is and upgrade if you have to. I don’t really believe in upgrading unless I’m clear what benefit I’m getting and that its a useful upgrade. I’ve spent plenty of money on upgrades I didnt need. People will be just as happy to sell you upgrades later as they are now. :)

What livestock are you planning to run with the tank?

Cvlnurse

I have one. Both questions really depend on what you are trying to do and perhaps more specifically what corals you are trying to work with.

People do well with stock. The lights aren’t the best, but they aren’t bad either. Also, more flow is almost always good. So, it kind of depends on what you are doing with the tank.

I have mine stock, but I’m just running FOWLR with fish. So, LED upgrades would be overkill for me right now.

One thing is you can always try it like it is and upgrade if you have to. I don’t really believe in upgrading unless I’m clear what benefit I’m getting and that its a useful upgrade. I’ve spent plenty of money on upgrades I didnt need. People will be just as happy to sell you upgrades later as they are now. :)

What livestock are you planning to run with the tank?
Well right now just some clowns and cleaner shrimp. But want to get into some corals and anemone. Still soo brand new so im not sure of what exactly. Still learning.

Pat24601

Well right now just some clowns and cleaner shrimp. But want to get into some corals and anemone. Still soo brand new so im not sure of what exactly. Still learning.

Sure, that makes sense.

Basically, from what I read, the lights are good enough for soft corals and LPS. Maybe not more light demanding LPS. There seems to be a consensus that they aren’t good enough for SPS.

Typically most beginners start with softy and LPS corals anyway. So, you might be just fine with the stock lights. Lights are expensive. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to upgrade until you know you need them. I suspect you won’t need to upgrade them for a while, but it depends on what takes your fancy. I don’t even like most SPS corals really. I prefer softies and LPS.

As you get into corals, you probably will want a wavemaker. I’m not current, but maybe something like a Jeboa PP-4. It’s about $50.

The wavemaker is much cheaper than lights. So, I think you’ll probably want it eventually if you start researching it, it’s probably not a waste of time.

Last edited:

Cvlnurse

Sure, that makes sense.

Basically, from what I read, the lights are good enough for soft corals and LPS. Maybe not more light demanding LPS. There seems to be a consensus that they aren’t good enough for SPS.

Typically most beginners start with softy and LPS corals anyway. So, you might be just fine with the stock lights. Lights are expensive. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to upgrade until you know you need them. I suspect you won’t need to upgrade them for a while, but it depends on what takes your fancy. I don’t even like most SPS corals really. I prefer softies and LPS.

As you get into corals, you probably will want a wavemaker. I’m not current, but maybe something like a Jeboa PP-4. It’s about $50.

The wavemaker is much cheaper than lights. So, I think you’ll probably want it eventually if you start researching it, it’s probably not a waste of time.
Thank you for the wealth of wonderful information Pat!! I’m sure I’ll be asking slot more questions.

Pat24601

Just playing the waiting game now

Is it a new tank or did someone give it to you? What brought you to the hobby?

BTW, that’s not just a curiosity question, it gives me a tiny sense of what you want out of your tank if you have questions later. :)

Cvlnurse

Is it a new tank or did someone give it to you? What brought you to the hobby?

BTW, that’s not just a curiosity question, it gives me a tiny sense of what you want out of your tank if you have questions later. :)
Brand new tank. Scuba diving actually. Love the beauty of the fish and corals. So I’m learning along the way. I’ve read Salwater Aquarium for dummies and try to read as many posts as I can. Eventually a reef tank is what I would like to end up with. It’s a

Cvlnurse

What does everyone feed their clownfish? I’ve just been feeding brine shrimp. But I’ve read that a lot feed pellets. I just want to make sure that I’m feeding them enough nutrition

Pat24601

What does everyone feed their clownfish? I’ve just been feeding brine shrimp. But I’ve read that a lot feed pellets. I just want to make sure that I’m feeding them enough nutrition

I mix up what I feed all of my fish and there are lots of good answers to this.

Brine shrimp is generally considered like potato chips. It’s tasty and good at getting fish to eat, but not terribly nutritious.

I actually prefer brine shrimp with spirulina for that reason. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bio-pure-frozen-spirulina-brine-shrimp-hikari.html.

I also do mysis shrimp. http://www.sfbb.com/Mysis-Shrimp_31.php

I’ve moved away from San Francisco Bay saltwater multi-packs recently because my butterflies don’t seem to like it, but I used to use them. Actually, not exactly these I think, but similar. https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8131

I also like to mix that up with flakes or pellets. Actually, with only a few fish I REALLY prefer flakes or pellets because it’s much easier not to over feed. A frozen cube of food is a lot and it’s hard to pare it down. Frankly, I usually end up thawing my cube and throwing a lot of it away right now for my 4 fish.

I like formula 2 pellets and flakes (e.g. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/ocean-nutrition-formula-two-flake-food ), but there are other good answers. When I feed flakes I wet feed (put the flakes underwater) so they don’t just float on top.

Not that all of the above is for fish in general. While I kept a clown pair for years and this is basically how I fed, there may be something better geared for clowns.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I stay away from dried foods, many are higher in nutrients/nitrate then frozen foods. I feed my clowns and other fish a mixture of foods. All frozen except for dried algae that I soak in selcon. I feed a variety of frozen food such as krill (several different types of euphausiids, small and large including brine, mysis/mysids and larger shrimp (sometimes gut loaded w/spirulina)) and other frozen cubed foods. For the frozen krill and shrimp, I recommend thawing and rinsing with tank water and draining excess water in your sink before feeding fish. That water that they are frozen in tends to be high in nutrients/nitrates.