Susan's Grand 125 Adventure

Susanedw

white fixtures temp. Need blue sharpie too! Hubby used tape for the rest...
20180204_170703-jpg.667523

Susanedw

Yah, one pic!! Let's see if it will work for more!
return. second tee facing backwards for manifold. One drain pipe run behind stand to leave room for manifold
20180204_170729-jpg.667525

20180204_172453-jpg.667527

Susanedw

Rockscape in! Another box checked off. Might be a few changes if I add some live rock. Not clear on if live rock needs to go into the display or just the sump to be beneficial, esp. the coraline algae. Here are pics. Getting excited. And scared to death to test plumbing and figure out drains and returns! Didn't leave a lot of room in front of overflows as I won't be needing to keep those scraped. Will test a couple things in case algae gets bad like the algae scrappers or kitchen scrubbers with a long handle. Think I achieved lots of terraces and coral placement as well as needs for fish.
20180205_232602-jpg.668225

20180205_232700-jpg.668230

Susanedw

The nice UPS man dropped off another box. Return pump, eflux wavemakers and heater.

The jebao pump was supposed to be 7" long. If I screw on the inlet, it is closer to 8 or a hair over. My chamber is just under 8. If I angle it, I can get it in and the inlet sticks out into the "noodle" chamber (bashsea has these plastic noodly sheets before the pump chamber). Will have to get opinions on if I need the inlet. Either way there is no strainer for water being sucked in. Came with one but way too long to use it. The noodle sheets will keep large things out I think.

Also didn't realize the heater was so long--800 watt I think. It will have to go diagonal between skimmer and filter socks. I most likely won't use the filter socks after the water clears from any sand storms.

The wavemakers look great and have their own controller and remote. The current light loop controller will eventually control everything.

Waiting on the 90 deg. elbows and biospira. Sand arrives Friday. Will wash it and get it ready to add. I'll probably add before water (put a dish or bowl in for water to splash into) so I can make sure it's where I want without having my arm in water up to my armpits! Will start making rodi water tomorrow. Need to get a 32 gal brute can. Have 2 20's. Will add water to tank first and then add sat to it after all tests. Will mix salt in 5 gal buckets, let it mix and then add to tank

So this weekend is finish plumbing, get electrical side "wall" up and maybe start mounting power strips and controllers. If can't get it all, I will try for filling, testing the bulkheads for leaks (rodi water in overflows) and then filling sump and trying it all. Oh, get more egg crate and make a top to keep cats off. One likes to walk around the rims...

On Sunday picking up my dau's RS Max e170 (45 gal) which will become my frag/coral qt tank. Have a bunch of tank leap frogging to deal with.
--set up the new tank--use water from water changes from the display and the DR (display refugium). Add rocks with xenia and colts and a thin layer of sand-coming from the DR
--remove all rock with macro algae (no colts and xenia rocks) from display refugium (and the pods on them) and a lot of the sand and place them in the sump fuge chamber
--take down the 10 gal with a sick bta in it. put the bta in the coral qt tank and rock in the sump
--After new tank is cycled, add the sand sifting goby who is in the display refugium to the new tank. Add damsel there or in the 66 gal. Haven't decided. Not sure I want the goby in the new tank messing up sand either... But he's gotta go somewhere...
--Remove remaining sand and rock from the DR and have it ready as a fish qt tank

lots to do. Oh, must work on taxes in all this somewhere....

Susanedw

More progress. No "lift off" quite yet. Hubby has to hook up one more drain--it's done, just screw union . I could do it but he said he'd do it in the am. Have one more 3/4 fitting I needed but didn't know I needed. It'll be here on monday and then he can finish the manifold next weekend. He machined a barb fitting for the return line to pump out of pvc. Looks just like a barb. Clever man. So tomorrow I can still do my test as there is a true union ball before the rest of the manifold. Oh, need hubby to check the 2 return pipes in the overflow. They seem a bit too high. Won't be able to put a lid on the overflows or on the tank. Just a tad too tall

Have all powerheads going, tank filled to below the weirs, heaters inside, some in the sump. Been making water steady since Thursday. Still need more... Leaving it going all night in the 32 brute. Need to fill the 2 20 gal brutes as well. But almost there. Can't let water into the overflows quite yet.

Current's eflux powerheads seem to do pretty good. Have another one, different brand in there as well. Down the road, will get a 3rd eflux. So that's is all the equipment I need for the moment. Lights next month, ato and spare return pump after that and doser when I need one.

Goal for Sunday is to test the return pump--fill that chamber and pump it into tank to test. Then test the drains and return together. Add skimmer and figure out max level. Add heater and let it stew. Also picking up a 45 g rs aio from my daughters in the morning.

Next week I'll get the new coral qt tank started and start the fuge section of the sump. Using sand from display refugium and qt tanks and rocks but have to do taxes ... ugh
20180210_235116_001-jpg.672501

Susanedw

We did it!! Tank is officially up and running, well except for adding salt. Return pump is set for about 35-40 % of power, 2 drains draining and 2 returns returning! My only issue is the right drain barely makes bubbles in the sump and is quiet, which I suspect is correct. It's a more gentle flow. The left side, which has the shorter distance to the sump is a gurgling, burbling mess of bubbles. Much stronger flow. How do I quiet it/calm it. I'll be posting separately in the forum as well.

But the great news is the tank is going. Will add some salt mixed with rodi tonight and add more tomorrow. Don't want to add too much more water so will get it up to where it needs to be a bit slowly. Will take me a bit to relax and trust my system. Also picked up my dau's RS e170 AIO tank today to set up for a coral frag/grow out tank
Water draining!!!! Realized after my hubby should have painted that black pipe blue.... If we ever take that line off will paint it! Will toss in a shrimp when salinity is set and add bio spira and the cycle begins
water draining!
20180211_173813-jpg.673436

Water returning!
20180211_173826-jpg.673437

skimmer skimming
20180211_175305-jpg.673438

Full set up going. Going to remount those led's from the hex tank lid I cut from egg crate and put on "ceiling" of electrical side
20180211_185701-jpg.673440

Another tank. Am I nuts!
20180211_185614-jpg.673439

Susanedw

The Cycle has begun. On Monday, I added salt and biospira. Then got my ammonia and read I should dose that first.... oh well. Followed directions. Tested on Tue and I was at 8!! Figured maybe I should have tested it first before adding ammonia in case there was some already... Another oh well... Today down to about 3 and nitrites up to 5 so it has begun.

Added some sand and rock to the fuge. Pulled rock from the coral qt and sand from the display refugium. Found lots of amphipods. In they went as well. Hope they aren't killed off. Will need more sand but have to wait until I can take the 2 fish in the display refugium and add them to the 125. A gold head sleeper goby and a yellow tail damsel. Still debating whether to put the damsel in the 66 or the new. Prob. new. Will add a few more. More rock will also go in. Hoping there is a piece or two without either xenia or colts or macros attached to put in the main display. Xenia and colt rocks go to coral qt tank to live. Macro rocks go to fuge

Starting cleaning the 45 gal. Needs lots of work... Got the skimmer and return pump cleaned and the sump (aio) at least as much as I'm willing to do. Will concentrate on glass now. Need a seal for the return nozzle opening. Hope I can find. Might go no sand in that tank as it is a coral frag/qt/grow out tank. Will do rocks. Okay, all for today. Pleased how clear tank is and the fuge

pic is of my living room, or maybe I should say fish room.... Tons of clean up needed and electrical side of stand is next on the list
20180212_193737-jpg.675873

Susanedw

Tank is definitely cycling. No ammonia. Will add more to bump it up again once the other number come down!

ordered lights today from marine depot. They have a 15% off one item (highest you order) with code president. Could not pass up to save on my lights even though those were budgeted for next month. Saved 73 bucks which almost pays for 2 brackets (need the xtra wide ones). I've ordered 4 of those for extra support and to make it look nice. If I don't need, can return one (amazon). Lights are: https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...-Current_USA-CU04226-FILTFILD-CU04228-vi.html

They may not be the best but I've read some reviews where folk are very happy and their par chart looks good. I can always upgrade down the line but right now I get more of what I want without spending 2-3 times more

Very excited. All that's left is to get 1 more eflux pump (controlled by this lighting system), a spare return pump (jebao), and doser. No rush on those. I think I'll use my daughter's tunze ato that came iwth her tank and buy another ato for her tank or just add manually. No rush there either. March will buy the first batch of fish for the qt tank. By may, should have some fish in.

20180216_115645-jpg.677126

Susanedw

Thanks Pat. There are many nay-sayers out there but I think the newer ones are better.

I used 2 bottles of bio spira and then I dosed ammonia. I dosed what the bottle called for to get it up to 4ppm (?). checked it the next day and it was at 8! I should have checked before as I'd had the rock in the water for several days before adding salt and getting "officially" going. But it came down in a couple days. Going to dose it back up as soon as nitrites are back down and do this several times so it builds the bacteria up.

Have 2 fish ready to go when it settles out. They are in the display refugium and I need to take the sand and rock out to use in the sump and the new coral qt tank.

this weekend I'm going to get the rest of the stand finished--electrical side, adjust the durso's and returns and finish cleaning the rs e170. Ordered the part I needed, so should be ready to get that one filled end of next week. Def. enough to keep me busy and out of trouble...

Susanedw

More progress today. Got most of the electrical done. Had everything unplugged for a couple hours. Hope it didn't kill good bacteria....

Ran the wiring channel along top of right side of cabinet for cords in that area. hubby attached the "wall" to separate wet and dry sides. Mounted 1 power strip and routed more channels on either side for controller wire and plugs. Looks neat and professional. Next weekend (promised him a day for his gardening tomorrow) we'll mount the controls for the eflux wavemakers and the lighting controller which won't be here until Tue. Ordered more of that wire channel as well. We'll had another piece of board across back but not all the way up as the plumbing is in the way--a nice 3/4 back wall. Channel will go there for additional stuff in sump area being routed to right side of stand. Also going to mount another power strip, this one with rotating plugs for power bricks and for future needs.

Very pleased. Still have 1 noisy durso, and 1 that I wish had more flow Not bad enough that we can't live with it but will continue trying to adjust. Also received the light brackets today. Was worried they wouldn't work for my tank--rimmed. had to get the extra wide ones. Ordered 4 but I think 3 will more than do it so will send one back. Lights arrive Tuesday. Won't be using them except maybe an hour or 2 in the evening just to play or see my tank. Don't want algae before my time!

Wasn't going to order them until March but Marine depot had a 15% off any one item so that saved 73 bucks! Had to order now.

Tomorrow is tank maintenance in other tank. Waiting for part for the 45 gal coral qt tank. By end of next weekend, all should be up and going and maybe tank cycled to add the goby and damsel. Need to dose more ammonia and see how fast it falls to zero. Not sure if I need for nitrites to come down first though

amm: 0
Nitrite: still at 5
Nitrate: up to 20

Right side of stand. Hubby going to replace the small piece at the bottom with a slightly bigger piece to go all the way from one channel to the other without a gap

(will add image later when forum is playing nice)

Left side above sump. Cord you can see will be added into channel when we mount the controller and plugs on right side of stand next weekend. Manifold not complete yet. 3 more balls.
Egg crate cover for fuge section. Need to add light

(ditto)

Last edited: