Nobby's S-650

SPR

When I was in the shop only the Lady was there, and she doesn't speak any English. We can only go so far with my crap German :) I shall go back on the weekend when 'Frank' is there because his English is good and I can then ask him a few questions.
Listen all you need to say is:

Can u sav me zee swei fishy’s in zee tank over zer Bitti for ina few wochen!

And then look at her whilst thrusting your head forward and opening and closing your mouth real wide and real slow and making a fish swimming action with your hand!

And when the police arrive just explain you just wanted to reserve some fish!

SPR

Earlier, we were mumbling about looking for Filter Cups to replace the socks. These are a bit pricey, but I think they will work. Are the filter socks in the Reefer Series the same size as the socks in the s-650?
http://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-high-flow.html
Yes I’ve seen them before and think they would fit

But you try and find anywhere to buy them outside of the USA?

I think I’m going to try the felt ones and then use the washing machine as I’ve only ever used mesh.

I will create a new thread and ask a question on this and see what people think.

Nobbygas

Yes I’ve seen them before and think they would fit

But you try and find anywhere to buy them outside of the USA?

I think I’m going to try the felt ones and then use the washing machine as I’ve only ever used mesh.

I will create a new thread and ask a question on this and see what people think.
The website is a CO.UK address, so that must be in the UK? Failing that, on one of your many overseas trips, you could source some and then sell them on (at Mate's Rates of course) to your bestest friends on here :)

SPR

The website is a CO.UK address, so that must be in the UK? Failing that, on one of your many overseas trips, you could source some and then sell them on (at Mate's Rates of course) to your bestest friends on here :)
The one we need ‘high flow’ is out of stock.

I’m just in contact with them by email and have had a reply already so will let you know what they say when done.

Unfortunately the overseas places I go to don’t have aquarium shops, lots of wild fish though! Lol

Last edited:

SPR

Ive been in touch and they just want me to confirm the measurements of the filter sock holders so ill do this towards the end of next week.

If you get bored just measure the diameter and depth to the bottom and put on here or PM me

They also said they can custom make them to size if needed.

I also considering changing over to felt socks and using the washing machine as well.

Ive never tried felt and from what im told they filter out much more stuff than mesh

So i might just order 6 sets or so and give it a try as well

Just digressing, how is your marine pure block, is it still solid or is it breaking of any sand its. My brightwell bricks are producing sand and although i have a new free set of replacements im also considering some marine pure as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I do get some 'sand' in the Sump, but I don't know if that is just muck from the DT or bits from the Marine Pure Block. I tend to just syphon it up when I do a water change.

Nobbygas

Hhhmmmm....starting to get a bit worried now. When I put the Leopard Wrasse in the tank, he swam all around the place and even had something to eat. He then disappeared into the sand (as they do), and I haven't seen him since. It's been six days now. I've been doing a bit of research, and apparently this can be quite normal behaviour, but I am starting to worry about him. The other two newbies (Yellow Tailed Tamarin Wrasse & Regal Tang) are both doing fine.

Other news: I have to get some Dosing Containers. I didn't realise that the tube going into my bottle of Red Sea Alk did not reach the bottom, so no Alk has been dosed for probably a week. I only noticed when the Alk was reading 7.3 instead of 8.0 ! I have to get some clear containers so I can see the levels inside. I quite like the look of this, but I have to check the measurements to see if it will fit.
DB4 Dupla Marin Dosing Containers that hold 4x1.5 liters. It sells for about 50 euros.
s-l1600.jpg

Other exciting news: After seeing what can be done by others, I've got a few bits and pieces that I can stick to the inside of the right hand door. This comprises of a drip tray and some hooks, where I can hang the usual stuff like scrappers and that ever present small towel. I shall put up some pictures of this exciting engineering development as soon as it's completed.
At the moment I have a cut in half coke bottle that sits on the floor just inside the door, and I'm forever knocking the bloody thing over.

Nobbygas

Onwards and upwards.
Visited the LFS yesterday. I got a Canary Wrasse, who was swimming around and eating within minutes of going in the tank....and a Melanurus Wrasse, that promptly disappeared into the sand. Here we go again !
I also got a nice chunky Red Anemone. I wasn't going to get one, but my Clowns are harassing a really nice Hammer to death. I'm afraid that once they've killed that Hammer, they will just move onto another one, so I've given an Anemone another go. The Clowns were in there in a flash. They seem to like it and have forgotten about the Hammer. Time will tell if it was a good move.

Nobbygas

The DB4 Skimz Dosing Unit arrived yesterday, so I set that up !
Here was what I had. This was a PITA because I could never tell if the tube reached the bottom of the container, and the only way to find out how much liquid was left was to either shake the container and have a guess, or unscrew the top and look inside. All in all, it was not a satisfactory way to do things. Currently I'm dosing Calc, Mag, Alk and Nopox.
dose1.jpg
This is the DB4 Skimz Dosing Unit. It's made from Acrylic, and it appears to be well built, solid and well worth the money (about 50 euros including delivery). It has four separate containers, each holding 1.5 liters.
dose2.jpg
In the middle is a small 'handle' to pull that particular container out, and at the top is a connector for the tube that runs to the doser. What is difficult to see on the photos is an internal rigid acrylic tube that runs from the connector at the top to the bottom of the container. This means that you will always draw liquid out unless the container empties, which it shouldn't as you can see the liquid level very easily! No worries about the flexible tubing 'curling up' and not drawing the liquid up as the container empties.
dose3.jpg
and the finished article ! It looks much neater, tidier and it solves many problems with the dosing. The Dosing Unit just sits on the top. There is still plenty of space in front of the Chiller, so it's not restricting any airflow in to the Chiller, although She Who Casts No Shadow did comment that it looks like a urine sample that needs to be sent to the hospital !
dose4.jpg
If you don't have any containers for dosing then I would recommend this unit. It's well-built, sturdy, compact and not expensive. I'm well pleased with it.

SPR

What like briet
The DB4 Skimz Dosing Unit arrived yesterday, so I set that up !
Here was what I had. This was a PITA because I could never tell if the tube reached the bottom of the container, and the only way to find out how much liquid was left was to either shake the container and have a guess, or unscrew the top and look inside. All in all, it was not a satisfactory way to do things. Currently I'm dosing Calc, Mag, Alk and Nopox.
View attachment 48076
This is the DB4 Skimz Dosing Unit. It's made from Acrylic, and it appears to be well built, solid and well worth the money (about 50 euros including delivery). It has four separate containers, each holding 1.5 liters.
View attachment 48077
In the middle is a small 'handle' to pull that particular container out, and at the top is a connector for the tube that runs to the doser. What is difficult to see on the photos is an internal rigid acrylic tube that runs from the connector at the top to the bottom of the container. This means that you will always draw liquid out unless the container empties, which it shouldn't as you can see the liquid level very easily! No worries about the flexible tubing 'curling up' and not drawing the liquid up as the container empties.
View attachment 48078
and the finished article ! It looks much neater, tidier and it solves many problems with the dosing. The Dosing Unit just sits on the top. There is still plenty of space in front of the Chiller, so it's not restricting any airflow in to the Chiller, although She Who Casts No Shadow did comment that it looks like a urine sample that needs to be sent to the hospital !
View attachment 48079
If you don't have any containers for dosing then I would recommend this unit. It's well-built, sturdy, compact and not expensive. I'm well pleased with it.
Very smart! Did you drill a hole in the cabinet side to put the dosing hoses through?

Also it’s much cheaper to mix the solutions yourself from the powder foundation elements rather than pre mixed solution. And I mean a lot cheaper if you look into it if it’s any help. They are easy to mix up if you can be bothered....

The Alkalinity powder for example mixes up 10 litres of liquid so it’s 100g per litre.

Nobbygas

No drilling. I use the small gap on the top right of the Chiller compartment to feed the dosing tubes through.
Once I am happy with the stability of the dosing I will move over to the powder as you are right, it is cheaper.....oh, and once I've used up my stock of liquid stuff!

Nobbygas

Leopard Wrasse - In the sand. Missing for eleven days.
Melanus Wrasse - In the sand. Missing for two days.
Canary Wrasse - In the sand. The first day in the tank he was swimming around, minding his own business and eating. The second day the Green Wrasse started to hassle him, so into the sand he went. That was yesterday.
The Green Wrasse and the Yellow Tailed Tamarin Wrasse are both swimming around nicely.

Won't have much space left in the sand bed soon.

Don't think I'll buy any more Wrasse anytime soon.

Next step, a mesh cover. Red Sea DIY job, or a ReefTops job?

SPR

Leopard Wrasse - In the sand. Missing for eleven days.
Melanus Wrasse - In the sand. Missing for two days.
Canary Wrasse - In the sand. The first day in the tank he was swimming around, minding his own business and eating. The second day the Green Wrasse started to hassle him, so into the sand he went. That was yesterday.
The Green Wrasse and the Yellow Tailed Tamarin Wrasse are both swimming around nicely.

Won't have much space left in the sand bed soon.

Don't think I'll buy any more Wrasse anytime soon.

Next step, a mesh cover. Red Sea DIY job, or a ReefTops job?

Are the ones in the sand missing presumed dead ? Also have you looked around the floor, including the back to make sure they haven't jumped ?

The Red Sea covers are actually quiet nice, and fit very well for the S 650 due to the design at the top. They are a bit of a pain to build, but put it this way I would buy another if I needed to. You can see it on my build thread which you have probably seen.

Nobbygas

I'm not giving up on any of them at the moment. There have been no jumpers. I just have to be patient with these Wrasse. Reading around the forums it appears as though this can be normal behaviour, but it is strange. Anything I put in at the moment heads straight for the sand............*thinking* Now, if only I could persuade She Who Casts No Shadow to swim in the tank..........

I understand that the Red Sea covers are now available in Germany as of this week. I've fired off an e-mail to the supplier recommended by Red Sea to see if they have them yet.

The Clowns have gone straight for the Red Anemone I put in. They love it, but the Anemone is on the move. I don't know where it is heading yet. I put the Anemone in a place I thought it would like. It would enable any visitors to go "ooo" & "ah" when they view the Clowns ducking and diving into it.....but oh no, Mr bloody Anemone has other ideas doesn't he !
At least the Hammer that was being loved to death by the Clowns is a lot happier.

Reactions: SPR